The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 318
    Complaining is how things get done. The Squeaky Wheel motto. But I think you mean being bitter!
    And you are correct about that. It just eats away and keeps other people away from oneself for sure.

The really hard part is, if what you've done your whole life is no longer valid. And it's not just work but who you are as a person. Then it becomes very problematic.
    It's not just saying okay now I'll be a different person.
    Imagine saying that to any of your guitar or Pop Song heroes.

And in no way am I claiming that I or many others are in their league. Just saying it's what motivated us all along our personal journeys

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    When I get old .. I too want to waste my last decade on earth complaining ... Truly something to aspire to ...

I don't either, L. Just want to perform. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

When I get old .. I too want to waste my last decade on earth complaining...
    don’t worry - you will!

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, Motown is not coming back. Those days were a moment in time. Same for Philadelphia International records with the great Gamble and Huff. Al Green, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and heck The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and all of those so, so many groups of the 60's...they're all gone.

I don't believe there's been any decent music, or even what one could claim as a HIT since Whitney Houston recordings of the 90's. There's a strong legacy of music out there, but sadly today's stuff is junk, imo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Unfortunately, Motown is not coming back. Those days were a moment in time. Same for Philadelphia International records with the great Gamble and Huff. Al Green, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and heck The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and all of those so, so many groups of the 60's...they're all gone.

I don't believe there's been any decent music, or even what one could claim as a HIT since Whitney Houston recordings of the 90's. There's a strong legacy of music out there, but sadly today's stuff is junk, imo.
    I wonder if this is true for other art forms? I can especially see this happening if an art form is trying to "please the masses." It by nature must get watered down, and like food, they end up losing any spice it might have.

User Info Menu

Tal gets in a nice solo at 3:29 but this entire band is first rate.

So as I keep saying we live in a Visual Age, not an Audio one. I think that along with amateurs playing on the same field, has brought actual song writing way down.
    Pros do t work for FREE, amateurs do it for fun! Public doesn't care, so long as it's entertainment for free!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I wonder if this is true for other art forms? I can especially see this happening if an art form is trying to "please the masses." It by nature must get watered down, and like food, they end up losing any spice it might have.

yeppers....McMusic....

Ungrateful maybe! But if you yourself made a living for over 40 years at doing something, I bet you'd be unhappy seeing amateurs doing your job.
    But even more than losing work, it's about not respecting music overall.

Musicians are just not needed to do bulk of music anymore live or recorded. From Broadway, Rock Concerts, etc. I just find it sad people are so ignorant to how real music was actually made.
    Sure Jimi Hendrix etc sold as a show, but there was still substance. Even Jeff Beck used to say he put at least 80% to. 90% of his energy into the playing and the last 10% was for show.

As far as actually doing the work I already went to grade school a long time ago. Plus it's a look that sells the entertainment. People pay to see younger folks or nostalgia acts. And to be sure I'm glad I don't do those gigs for half of what I use to make as well as all of the drunks!

Only two kinds of music>>good and bad>>>its subjective!!

User Info Menu

Crikey, is this thread still happening?

User Info Menu

The Corona-isolation pulls out your inner troll ... Who can say no to posting outrageous stuff these days?
    I know your joking here, but I still couldn't help from replying (thus making your point, ha ha).

This thread should have died moments after it was created, Corona or no Corona. The main reason being it is much to 'wide' of a topic.

Anyhow that felt good; my inner troll needed some release.

User Info Menu

This is an interesting video.

User Info Menu

Yeah... you don’t have to like it (actually I really like the way a lot of modern pop sounds) but it takes a lot of craft and attention to detail.

it also demonstrates what I mean about the emphasis in music moving away from harmony and towards sheer sound design. The technology is an obvious driver here.

So you have music undergrads who can’t read a note but have a great command of sound and really strong concept of that.

User Info Menu

The "ancient" pop musicians tend to ignore the new shit. Trying to dial the sounds in with their amps and puny kbs and drum mics.
    The new stuff is all about tickling the audience every way possible. "Oh, we got a decent idea here, lets make it work!" - this is the new thing.
    It rarely is about the notes.. sometimes, but it's rare.
    Old pop musicians(and the audience) got it all wrong - lucky few years.
    And now they belong in fancy halls with all the rock and blues and jazz stars.

Pop is like laws of physics - you cant change them. Obey and shut up. Whining won't do any good. It is what it is... what it was for a while.

LOVELY ! This video is a perfect example of one person controlling all aspects of the piece. What a horrible way of making music!

I remember doing a recording session where as a guitarist I was brought in to make the feel of the track more Rock Feel. The engineer keyboardist and producer who did everything else, proceeded to clean up all the imperfections as he perceived them. From extra noise from distortion, slight time imperfections.
    I told him that's what makes it Rock and Roll.

By the way name any current Classical compositions that even verge on the greats? Again this isnt just Rock, Pop, Country, Jazz, Blues.

But after all of my posts and taking in various arguments, I think I have a clearer understanding why some of you don't get it. You mostly are part timers who haven't had enough gig experience both live and in the studio.
    When you do something for a living for a long time you understand how it works both good and bad.

I interesting how the generation 35 and under look at life through their computer devices. I now know why I have such disdain for the Iphone.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57

But after all of my posts and taking in various arguments, I think I have a clearer understanding why some of you don't get it. You mostly are part timers who haven't had enough gig experience both live and in the studio.
    When you do something for a living for a long time you understand how it works both good and bad.
    Your "living" has died out because you lack the new skills.

It's boring here. Lets get it on!

Glad you all get to play Rock Star on your video game kids! Let me know when you an actually play for real!
    And also try that with anything from Pro Sports and Pro anything else. See how far you get before you're laughed off the stage or audition!

User Info Menu

Gosh, you're so amateur at trolling. Try better. Not engaged now.

User Info Menu

LOVELY ! This video is a perfect example of one person controlling all aspects of the piece. What a horrible way of making music!

I remember doing a recording session where as a guitarist I was brought in to make the feel of the track more Rock Feel. The engineer keyboardist and producer who did everything else, proceeded to clean up all the imperfections as he perceived them. From extra noise from distortion, slight time imperfections.
    I told him that's what makes it Rock and Roll.

By the way name any current Classical compositions that even verge on the greats? Again this isnt just Rock, Pop, Country, Jazz, Blues.

I interesting how the generation 35 and under look at life through their computer devices. I now know why I have such disdain for the Iphone.
    Here we go again, everything is shit, why even bother?

Look music isn't the SAME as it was in the PAST, if it was it would be an homage, and that would not really be GREAT MUSIC.

OTOH if it's new, it's DIFFERENT and can't be JUDGED by the same aesthetic criteria. You sound like the people complaining about how Charlie Parker or John Coltrane or whoever killed jazz. They killed a style of music, and then there was a new style of music.

There are plenty of modern composers whose music I would rather listen to than what I think of as unutterably boring compositions by people like Schumann, Telleman (oh my god he is shit), Debussy (I know he's a genius, I just don't like his music) or any range of non descript formulaic jobsworths of the 18th century of their 19th and early 20th century heirs, the writers of endless dull symphonies that BBC Radio 3 insists tormenting me with in their mid afternoon playlists. Who listens to this shit?

David Bruce is one of them. The guy is an excellent, accessible modern composer who I think has a lot of originality and spark. Caroline Shaw is another.

Even the greats have moments of stunning mediocre tedium. Have you ever tried sitting through the Christmas Oritorio by Bach? I had to make my excuses and leave after 45 minutes. It's as bad as the less endurable stretches of the fucking White Album. Want to learn how to make a fucking double album without adding in absolute dross, Beatles? Go and listen to Kendrick.

Also, Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Fuck you, McCartney. The epic turd curled perfectly on the otherwise masterpiece that is Abbey Road. (And yes I do include Octopus's Garden in that. It's a charming children's song.)

Now in the parlance of the youg'un's - OK Boomer *mike drop*

User Info Menu

Glad you all get to play Rock Star on your video game kids! Let me know when you an actually play for real!
    And also try that with anything from Pro Sports and Pro anything else. See how far you get before you're laughed off the stage or audition!
    It was my understanding that you can't get any gigs and no one is asking you to make a recording with them. Isn't that one of the main reasons for your anger? That people you believe are hacks ARE getting work and you're just a lonely guy ranting on the internet?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

If you want to get paid, you have to do something that someone is willing to pay for. The vast majority of people are not wiling to pay to listen to a guitar player play old jazz. That's just a fact, and you may as well face it. The music that sells now is not the music that sold last year. Disco is dead, and jazz has been dead a lot longer. It matters less than a hill of beans how long you've been a professional. That has no bearing at all. What others play, or how well they compose or play music, also does not matter. The only thing that matters is whether you can attract customers to pay to hear you play. Ranting on the internet will not change things, it only makes you look foolish. Old men have been ranting about this same subject for centuries, and I expect they will be doing it for centuries more. I know the music I like is almost a century out of date, but I recognize that, and don't' expect anyone else to like what I like. I also don't like much of the music composed lately, but that's my problem, if it is a problem. That doesn't mean it's worthless, just that I don't like it. I'm old. I'm a boomer. Probably less than .01% of the people in the world like the music I like. And I'm fine with that.