The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 318

User Info Menu

One last try jads..
    This is a period of deconstruction. Remixing. Construction can only come in the form of stage craft.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

And I thought it was only the Wanabe Rock Guitarists that wore Domino Delivery Hats?

User Info Menu

^^^
    You lost me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    And I thought it was only the Wanabe Rock Guitarists that wore Domino Delivery Hats?
    that was Buckethead I think..and it was a KFC 12 piece bucket !!!!

and he is a good musician BTW...

User Info Menu

And once again not one of you who've posted in this thread can come up with ANY SONG of worth! The ignorance is astounding around here!

Frank Zappa used Tommy Tedesco to play his written guiar parts he was unable to. But thats not here nor there. Its the actual songs themselves folks.
    Even Pat Metheny,John Scofield,etc have written great songs. But again that was then when music was still a viable endevour.
    well...there you go again...

Zappa also used Steve Vai..and steve still tours and writes his own music as does Sco and Metheny...and that is NOW as well as then....well virus timeout of course

I really feel your behind the times and not keeping up with many of the new and origional players ..and no Im not going to name origional tunes..not for lack of them..
    but you should do some homework and find them your self if its that important to you...they ARE out there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    i get asses tweaked, feet moving and minds tapping. Still working on it.
    Then you're doing something right, brotha, keep on with it.

User Info Menu

And once again not one of you who've posted in this thread can come up with ANY SONG of worth! The ignorance is astounding around here!

Frank Zappa used Tommy Tedesco to play his written guiar parts he was unable to. But thats not here nor there. Its the actual songs themselves folks.
    Even Pat Metheny,John Scofield,etc have written great songs. But again that was then when music was still a viable endevour.
    At least you can go to bed tonight feeling right tonight.

As for Frank's playing, this don't look like Tommy:

User Info Menu

I'm probably one of the odd balls around here who didn't start in jazz or rock. Or classical. I don't know what people are talking about half the time and I find it all fascinating.
    It's very Zen.

Try Frank's Lumpy Gravy record for Tommy Tedesco. And try 20 little cigars, as well as Hot Rats Little Umbrellas for a couple of Mr Zappas Jazz excursions.

Again no one is able to post any song of worth? I keep asking and you all have sorts of anecdotes such as I'm not looking in the right places, as well other such nonsense.
    But nothing worthy in the last 10 to 15 years? Not even one song?
    Steve Vai while a fine musician, is not a Pop Songster. Although to his credit he did arrange David Lee Roth version of Just a Gigalo.

Come on everyone, can't you just post one song to prove the crabby old man wrong? I double dog dare you!

User Info Menu

Bluegrass/Americana is too lowbrow for some folks, and certainly isn't pop music, but I'll take my quality art where I can get it. I've gigged this tune.

Thanks for posting the video. Very nice playing by the musicians as well as newer production skills. I've found Wynonna Judd and Vince Gill have put out some very nice Pop records based on Bluegrass as well as many other genres.
    They seem to understand the value of songwriters,musicians, as well as production,.

Mary Chapin Carpenter and Allison Krause also come to mind.

User Info Menu

Try Frank's Lumpy Gravy record for Tommy Tedesco. And try 20 little cigars, as well as Hot Rats Little Umbrellas for a couple of Mr Zappas Jazz excursions.
    That rather ignores my point, which is that Frank was a player in his own right and didn't need Tommy to throw down on his own, live, improvisational, with no net.

As for offering up some music which you approve, I really don't give a shit what you like or dislike; and I'm not so stupid as to argue about matters of personal taste. De gustibum non disputandum and all that jazz.

You may be a brilliant musician, or not, I don't know, but seriously -- this idea that you are the arbiter of what is and is not good music is laughable.

So you have an opinion. That's nice. Get over yourself.

User Info Menu

So Frank obviously hired musicians and guitarists to play parts with him or couldn't actually play himself. No one said he wasnt any good!

As far as my opinion, it really doesn't matter. And if you read my posts I've already said that's not the intent in this thread.
    Rather that music has been dumbed down by people who either aren't musicians or worse, musicians who don't care. History always has a way of sorting whats both good and bad.

I'm pointing out since the advent of the IPhone or digital technology. It has become a whole new game and musicians and pros need not apply.

P.S. Cello Green is an excellent singer, and that is a fun Motownish Pop Song!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznylon

Geez, J,
    He must have been up all night writing those lyrics, huh? Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Come on everyone, can't you just post one song to prove the crabby old man wrong? I double dog dare you!
    I should change my handle to DoubleDog.

Our Love - YouTube

User Info Menu

I think it would be fair to say that I am ,also, locked in the 60's and 70's in "pop" music/Bossa/Jazz and in the 19th Century/Early 20th Century Classical Romantic guitar tradition. I find it difficult to relate to much newer music since I find they lack interesting melodies and use pedestrian lyrics. And, as I have said previously, there is a wealth of music to study/play that I could never scratch the surface in my lifetime. So, when when we talk about musical tastes, we must accept they are different for everyone unless you spend your life running with the Herd. So, here's two pop tunes from my period that have a good melody, sensitive lyrics and is, in my opinion, absent from the lionshare of contemporary pop music today. What do you think? I hope you enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb300
    I should change my handle to DoubleDog.

Our Love - YouTube
    Hi, T,
    Nice. Heavy Gospel/R&B roots. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, T,
    Nice. Heavy Gospel/R&B roots. Good playing . . . Marinero
    ???

... that's not me, it's Gregory Porter.

I just said that because if OP doesn't appreciate it as a well written tune then he's just in this for the attention.

Marinero thanks for the posts! This is exactly what's is missing in newer music SOUL! It doesn't matter the genre either from Merle Haggard to John Coltrane .
    There is no SOUL in the newer music!

I really think the more technology evolved and was used in music the less FEEL or human emotion it had. From click tracks to plug ins. Even over dubbing can make the performance a bit less emotional.
    Music needs the synergy of the people playing it in real time to really groove.
    I know the Beatles, Sting,Jimi Hendrix, etc also utilized the studio to great effect as well!
    But really it comes down to the original performance that makes it or breaks it.

I really feel sorry for the newer generation not being able to tell or feel the difference. They seem to hear music in 2 dimensions as opposed to 3 unfortunately !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb300
    ???

... that's not me, it's Gregory Porter.

I just said that because if OP doesn't appreciate it as a well written tune then he's just in this for the attention.
    No M just puts ‘Good playing’ at the end of his posts as a sign off. Confused me too first time I saw it.

User Info Menu

JADS....!!!! here it is....new music...so new it hardly been born....

Tom Schuman - This is why I believe God is playing tricks...

Now if she just starts writing Pop Songs,LOL!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Back on topic, I'm OK with today's music. Doesn't bother me.