The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 318

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Is that really true? I doubt anyone here wants be a famous pop star.

What you say would have more truth if applied to, say, Pat Metheny or someone.
    If playing jazz standards in a bebop fashion would make one a famous pop star, I believe most here would want to be that pop star. (as in what makes one a pop star isn't the music they make but how audiences react to said music). E.g. back in his day the Nat King Cole trio was very popular. That was because listeners had more discerning taste and not that Nat and this trio dumped down the music.

Anyhow, I was trying to imply most artist \ musicians like money and how in a capitalistic society that improves one life, just as much as anyone else. AND that doesn't make them 'sell-outs'.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Okay everyone tell me how GREAT music has evolved into. And please use some examples to prove your point. But audio only please!

User Info Menu

I’m certainly not a Mayer fan - but to be fair some of his acoustic stuff is legit hard to play. had to teach it.
    Even some of his electric stuff is challenging, he's gotten better, surrounding himself with good players and learning from the veterans, plus he's a working musician and a lot stronger than a hobbyist/partimer like me.

The thing that kills me is that everything he does, I've heard. I thrive on innovation and if it sounds like old hat I lose interest really quick.

Wish I could sing like him though.

User Info Menu

Who ever gave a shit about Qualified Musicians other than other Qualified Musicians?
    When the Americans captured Cherbourg in 1944 and demanded its surrender, the German commander Von Schlieben asked of the American BGen Canham, "What are your credentials?", Canham pointed to his tired, filthy troops and said, "These are my credentials."

In much the same way, credentials as a musician rely on your troops. Do you get asses moving? Feet tapping? Minds tweaked by a fresh approach?

This is not a ranking contest, music. It is entertainment. Sometimes I like my entertainment highbrow, sometimes I like it cheap and easy, but if it fits the mood of the moment and moves me in the process, I'm cool. It's music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu

So funny
    It's all true. There were like 3 jobs for dancing guitar players in my time. Work for Prince, the Time or the R&B underground. I took my chances on the underground. After about 2 months, 9 hours a night, 6 nights a week, I got good. After 6 months, ka boom. It was over. Nobody wants me in California or Japan.
    I play with my computer in Las Vegas now. Life could be worse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    But when musicians such as Vinnie Caliuta, John McGlaughlin, and other accomplished musicians sound the alarm will YOU LISTEN THEN!
    Who is that? I've heard of Vinnie Colaiuta and John McLaughlin.

Also, CitizenK is right. The means for production are within everyone's grasp. Of course that will change the product.

BTW did you notice that after the advent of the guitar, nobody has written a half-decent Lute suite anymore? Bloody modern crap.

User Info Menu

It is the phenomenon of seven producers in different time zones who collectively compose a recording at the behest of a committee at the media corporation, which needs a track to promote a film and simultaneously boost the flagging career of a once-promising singer.

Also, Auto-Tune.

User Info Menu

"Anyhow, I was trying to imply most artist \ musicians like money and how in a capitalistic society that improves one life, just as much as anyone else. AND that doesn't make them 'sell-outs'." jameslovestal

Hi, J,
    In philosophy, the above statement is what is called a "non-sequitur"---"
    a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.."

So, if a classically trained, symphonic violinist who has spent over twenty years of his/her life polishing and refining their Art chooses, for economic reasons, a full-time job with an accordian player in a neighborhood Italian restaurant . . . they have NOT sold out? Could you please explain?
    Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

In a capitalistic society, money is the end-all, be-all. Making money is the highest calling. Art, whether music, painting, or any other, is only a method for making money. We may pretend otherwise, but it's only pretending. If writing beautiful and interesting music is so easy, get off your ass and do it. The equipment no longer is so expensive that only big businesses can afford it, anyone with a personal computer and some relatively cheap software can do it. So stop complaining and do it. Put your best work out there and reap the profits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Easy .. He has realized that he pursued a vanity project with no real life benefit to him and now is trying to make the best of it in other to not waste 20 more futile years

Or a less harsh version: Pizza place feeds his family better than classical music and in the end your kids life quality is what matters .. Tho some would argue that it is more important that he continues his exploration of classical music and should let those kids starve

Or maybe he has just found out that working at a pizza place is fun, relaxing and preferable to the stiff competition, network and back stab enviroment of high brow classical music with too many people trying to fill too few chairs
    Thanks for saving me the time to reply. All I can add is that I was told this violin player is now playing songs that require improvisation instead of just reading notes from a sheet of paper. Therefore he has advanced his artistic skills and he is playing HIS music instead of the music of others.

Good playing. James

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Or maybe he has just found out that working at a pizza place is fun, relaxing and preferable to the stiff competition, network and back stab enviroment of high brow classical music with too many people trying to fill too few chairs
    And who's to say he's not playing beautiful classical violin at home, on his own time?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    When the Americans captured Cherbourg in 1944 and demanded its surrender, the German commander Von Schlieben asked of the American BGen Canham, "What are your credentials?", Canham pointed to his tired, filthy troops and said, "These are my credentials."

In much the same way, credentials as a musician rely on your troops. Do you get asses moving? Feet tapping? Minds tweaked by a fresh approach?

This is not a ranking contest, music. It is entertainment. Sometimes I like my entertainment highbrow, sometimes I like it cheap and easy, but if it fits the mood of the moment and moves me in the process, I'm cool. It's music.
    i get asses tweaked, feet moving and minds tapping. Still working on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    In a capitalistic society, money is the end-all, be-all. Making money is the highest calling. Art, whether music, painting, or any other, is only a method for making money. We may pretend otherwise, but it's only pretending. If writing beautiful and interesting music is so easy, get off your ass and do it. The equipment no longer is so expensive that only big businesses can afford it, anyone with a personal computer and some relatively cheap software can do it. So stop complaining and do it. Put your best work out there and reap the profits.
    in capitalism we have this thing called supply and demand...

User Info Menu

in capitalism we have this thing called supply and demand...
    Aye, there's the rub.

A bit late to the party here, but I actually think that amongst my peers (I'm in my 20s) there's quite a lot of appetite for more "harmonically complex" music. It just doesn't and cannot sound like what people in older generations may like. I think the main reason it's not popular is as those have already stated...it doesn't sell or it would sell but the labels/radios have already decided it won't and so don't play it. Btw I am no fan of today's popular music.

But that doesn't mean there isn't newer music being made that is actually moving and complex. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't there. The music will also be influenced by whatever is popular today, being that today's pop music (for me hip hop in particular) is essentially the repertoire of standards for my generation.

User Info Menu

Willie is still alive and kicking. Old yes, but not dead, and still playing.
    And don't forget, the older generation was saying pretty much the same thing as bebop came on the scene, scorned as "Chinese music" when Chinese was a serious insult. It still is to some people. Then rock 'n roll killed all real music in the early '50s. And the British invasion of the '60s really killed music. I don't like most music from after the '40s that much, but that's just my preference, and doesn't mean that newer music is no good, just that I'm a stick-in-the-mud stuck in the distant past. I acknowledge that and don't really give a flying f&%k what others prefer. Just because I don't know of any good modern music doesn't mean that there is none, just that there is none that I've heard. My playlists are pretty limited, though.

Again with ignorance? I stated Sting and the Police, which included Andy Summers. The fact that you all are unable to discern between Entertainment and Music Composition tells one all of the information one needs to know.

Please post a newer music clip of a worthy composition, as Ive kept asking for.
    Or at least quit showing your ignorance of both the English language as well as music, by spouting negative comments as an answer.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Again with ignorance? I stated Sting and the Police, which included Andy Summers. The fact that you all are unable to discern between Entertainment and Music Composition tells one all of the information one needs to know.

Please post a newer music clip of a worthy composition, as Ive kept asking for.
    Or at least quit showing your ignorance of both the English language as well as music, by spouting negative comments as an answer.

Thanks!
    Why should anyone post a newer music clip since you have already made up your mind and you're very, very stubborn. Can't you at least admit that? You made your POV clear. Most disagree. I guess that makes all of us idiots, or amateurs or god knows what.

You started this thread as a rant to get something off your chest. Most here indulged you in this regard. But trying to beat us into submission until we agree with you, is taking it too far.

There have been no posts of any note worthy music in this entire thread. And if you think the ones are great compositions. You may want question what actual great harmony and composition looks like. From Bach to the Beatles, Ellington to Brian Wilson, Ray Charles to Willie Nelson, Dizzy Gillespie to Sting.

User Info Menu

There have been no posts of any note worthy music in this entire thread. And if you think the ones are great compositions. You may want question what actual great harmony and composition looks like. From Bach to the Beatles, Ellington to Brian Wilson, Ray Charles to Willie Nelson, Dizzy Gillespie to Sting.
    this is some thread...its in all 12 keys both major AND minor...with lots of altered chords...I think Cage & Glass would love it in here

jads..relax man..I can feel your BP rise as you respond...look...as simple as I can say it..and Im sure many on here will agree...here is the crux of the situation..and its a cliche ...

A jazz guitarist plays a thousand chords..for three people...

a rock guitarist plays three chords for a thousand people..

now you may not like the reality of the business end of music..or the people/society that supports it...but there it is...the jazz guitarist goes home on public transportation..the rock guitarist has a 30 ft limo and 10 groupies..

frank zappa once said...jazz isnt dead..it just smells funny...and zappa was a prime example of NOT being MSM and being successful and origional

User Info Menu

Posting any music would be an exercise in futility, because jads has obviously made up his mind, and would not be swayed by anything, no matter how good it might be. The entire thread is an exercise in futility. I give up.

And once again not one of you who've posted in this thread can come up with ANY SONG of worth! The ignorance is astounding around here!

Frank Zappa used Tommy Tedesco to play his written guiar parts he was unable to. But thats not here nor there. Its the actual songs themselves folks.
    Even Pat Metheny,John Scofield,etc have written great songs. But again that was then when music was still a viable endevour.

User Info Menu

Yeah I'm pretty ignorant it's true.

User Info Menu

<<<<< blindly ignorant and stupid here

User Info Menu

Dumbfounded as usual for me.