The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 318

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Since 1999 he's written or co-written over 50 top ten hits, almost half (23) hit #1, has been awarded ASCAP's Songwriter of the Year 11 times, and has accrued a net worth of approximately $260 million as of 2017 (earning $54 million in 2016).

Interesting things from his Wikipedia page:

"We work melody first... We’ll spend days, sometimes weeks, challenging the melody."
    "Instead of making tracks for five thousand people, why not make tracks for a million?"

Attachment 71867
    i actually love Max Martin. Dude’s a genius.

Swedish pop magic; can’t fault it... the bombastic harmonic minor progressions, the happy music/sad lyrics thing (maybe more of an ABBA vibe), the wonky english, the epic choruses...

Although this is certainly not a patch song wise on his best work, the complexity and nuance of the production is something else:

you might not like it, but you can’t say there isn’t a craft to it. I can’t do this, can you?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb300
    We live in a world of:

- Sterile automated beats
    - Plastic sounding preprogrammed instruments
    - Computer singing
    - Legions of fashion model singers that look better than they sound
    - Disney channel alumnus becoming today's Pop stars
    - Crossover Country Rap
    - The death of Rock & Roll
    - Strippers ... I mean female rappers that can't spit rhymes very well, but does that matter?
    - The disappearance of an improvised solo in any form of modern music.
    - Tribute bands
    - Urban music losing it's soulful connection to the church
    - Steven Segal becoming a guitar player
    - John Mayer becoming a guitar hero
    - The fact that Jazz is at it's lowest profile of all time in the modern music world.

........ and you want to complain about Alicia Keys chord structure?!!
    I’m certainly not a Mayer fan - but to be fair some of his acoustic stuff is legit hard to play. had to teach it.

User Info Menu

These conversations always lead to Snarky Puppy. I find them insufferably smug.

I want the future to be Jessica Ackerley: Canadian; went to jazz school; improvises on a Strat, no pedals; influences include Hendrix, Hall, Montgomery, Les Paul, John Fahey, Marc Ribot, Nels Cline, Mary Halvorson, This Heat, Morton Feldman, Charles Ives.

User Info Menu

There are some fresh fun things on KEXP.
    KEXP
    - YouTube

As always, depends on taste.. but I've found a few gems in those lives.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    i actually love Max Martin. Dude’s a genius.

Swedish pop magic; can’t fault it... the bombastic harmonic minor progressions, the happy music/sad lyrics thing (maybe more of an ABBA vibe), the wonky english, the epic choruses...

Although this is certainly not a patch song wise on his best work, the complexity and nuance of the production is something else:

you might not like it, but you can’t say there isn’t a craft to it. I can’t do this, can you?
    I prefer DAW comedy;

DAWs are serious stuff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    My daughter just played a new Alecia Keys video ,just her singinging and playing piano. Just want to say how awful the actual music was. She is a way more capable musician of playing more sophisticated harmonic structures.

But just like John Legend, and many other current Pop Icons. They play a simple 4 chord triadic repetitive set of changes, much like 1950s Doo Wop type of song form. And while simple isn't the problem, it's the actual lack of musicality it generates. Almost like a computer generated the song.
    I think Tony Bennett said it best describing it as 4 chords and 3 of them are wrong,LOL!

I have enough of an issue with guitarists dumbing down the harmonic structures of songs. But when someone like Alecia Keys who is so much better does this it drives me CRAZY !
    Let me chime in. I can throw in many examples when it comes to this matter, but the example that is in my head right now is Happy by Pharell. The song Happy was actually nominated for an Oscar for crying out loud. Pharell didn’t win but if he did, then that gives Pharell 1 Oscar win and the legendary Ennio Morricone Zero Oscars! What an aberration and travesty would that have been.

My final point. The song Happy, the bulk of it is basically a repetitive hook dragged like a dead horse for 5 gruelling minutes. You would have your ears tortured when this song gets played at the gas station or mall. The song Happy pales in comparison to a typical 2 minute jazz standard. A jazz standard only takes a couple of minutes of your time, but it’s rich with both melodic and harmonic content.

So I'm sorry if you think Im only about Jazz musicians. I was referring to all genres of music. Country music while very much the new Pop, is perhaps where real musicians are still involved. Although that's become quite automated with click tracks,etc.

Maybe Music is just not the goal any longer. As much as visual and generating self popularity being the current What is Hip!
    I'm glad I'm old and lived through the Audio Age. And as stated so well here in these posts, its always still avaible.

User Info Menu

I like that "happy" song... sorry

User Info Menu

Anyway. At some point, there were occasional quirks injected to basic pop songs.. from 2010 and on. This never happened in '80 or '90. Like never. Now those sneak in sometimes.
    People will get tired of the same stuff at one point. The mainstream probably will get more interesting harmony-wise. If not, whatever. Can always go fishing for that ourselves when in the mood.
    One truck-driver told me after 20 years of work, he has heard all the pop and rock there is. Now he listens to opera when on the job

User Info Menu

So I'm sorry if you think Im only about Jazz musicians. I was referring to all genres of music. Country music while very much the new Pop, is perhaps where real musicians are still involved. Although that's become quite automated with click tracks,etc.

Maybe Music is just not the goal any longer. As much as visual and generating self popularity being the current What is Hip!
    I'm glad I'm old and lived through the Audio Age. And as stated so well here in these posts, its always still avaible.
    I'd say Gospel and bluegrass. They're always reinventing themselves.
    I was a pop musician so it's funny reading threads like this. There is no more pop music or music business. No one hit wonders- no pop. It's been gone for about 20 years at least in the US.
    There's good new music out there but it's buried in cyber space. You have to dig for it. One of the last pop songs might have been Thong Song. Sisqo actually made some money with one hit.
    Take the money and run. Put it in your savings and go get another job. The old system helped keep the big shots honest.
    I nominate Thong Song as the last pop song. Sisqo is a real player. He made just enough money to take care of his family.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Anyway. At some point, there were occasional quirks injected to basic pop songs.. from 2010 and on. This never happened in '80 or '90. Like never. Now those sneak in sometimes.
    People will get tired of the same stuff at one point. The mainstream probably will get more interesting harmony-wise. If not, whatever. Can always go fishing for that ourselves when in the mood.
    One truck-driver told me after 20 years of work, he has heard all the pop and rock there is. Now he listens to opera when on the job
    yess..my sat radio pre-set is on classical....then "real jazz"...after that...an adventure in the wild

Obviously some of you are confusing Entertainment with Music. The above video has 2 chords and a half step pop modulation.
    I seriously doubt there were more than the singer and one person involved with producing this track. And although fun eye candy this is very basic Soul R&B without musicians.

Please someone with actual musical knowledge and ability like Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, Sting. By the way Pharrell uses mostly a computer to compose, and he doesn't understand harmony.

User Info Menu

This has.. less.

..but is very pleasing

User Info Menu

Obviously some of you are confusing Entertainment with Music. The above video has 2 chords and a half step pop modulation.
    I seriously doubt there were more than the singer and one person involved with producing this track. And although fun eye candy this is very basic Soul R&B without musicians.

Please someone with actual musical knowledge and ability like Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, Sting. By the way Pharrell uses mostly a computer to compose, and he doesn't understand harmony.
    I guess I was trying to make a point about the existence of pop. If a one hit wonder can't make money they can put towards savings, pop doesn't exist.
    I'm a product of the 80's and it was all about entertainment. Live music made a comeback but it was exhausting.
    I don't know if you need energetic stage shows or outrageous videos to build an audience now. I think you'd have to be younger than me to know. It worked for us for a while in the 80's but Genx had different ideas. They were becoming old enough to go to clubs.
    I'll listen to anything in a club. I don't care what it is.

You're not really listening as much as reacting to the video visually and to the rhythm. And that's fine ,but it does not use your ears fully or brain in any imiganitive way.

Again I'm not putting down fun videos with a beat that's simple. But if you compare this same video to say" I Wish" by Stevie Wonder there is a huge difference in musicality as well as actual audio experience.
    Music made by actual people creates a much more human experience imo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Officially, the best song of the last 50 or so years. Perfect.

I love it. Billy made up for Achy Breaky Heart. I hate that song.

User Info Menu

Well, this one's auguring in.

User Info Menu

I'm a pop guitarist. People get way too hung up on things. It's just pop music. It's not like jazz where you're looking for a consensus all the time. It's pop. Love a song. Hate a song. I look for the heartfelt vocal. Last pop song that grabbed me was Somebody that I Used to Know.
    Maybe pop has become more of a style than a genre in the last 10 or more years. Any pop I like these day isn't going to be popular.

I like this;

A good remix;

If you know anything about pop you know it's about female singer/songwriters these days so be nice to the ladies.
    Looks like Barhari needs a band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Huh? Are my tastes in the gutter?

A new take on Old School R and B. Nice! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Geez, Ron,
    Is Alicia your concept of an "Artist?" I guess the case is closed. Good playing . . . Marinero
    Alicia Keys is a successful musician and 'artist'. While what she does doesn't match my taste, the former is a fact.

If there is anyone to be angry at it is the listeners, the audiences, i.e. the general public, for their lack of musical 'taste'.

But to be angry at the successful when one isn't,, does smack of jealousy. OK, I understand the concept that a true artist doesn't compromise their art for a buck. I can respect that but I still see no reason to attack others that don't follow that path.

User Info Menu

So funny

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Alicia Keys is a successful musician and 'artist'. While what she does doesn't match my taste, the former is a fact.

If there is anyone to be angry at it is the listeners, the audiences, i.e. the general public, for their lack of musical 'taste'.

But to be angry at the successful when one isn't,, does smack of jealousy. OK, I understand the concept that a true artist doesn't compromise their art for a buck. I can respect that but I still see no reason to attack others that don't follow that path.
    Is that really true? I doubt anyone here wants be a famous pop star.

What you say would have more truth if applied to, say, Pat Metheny or someone.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thinking about how some new videos get so much views. It's not because there are so many people watching, it's probably a few that watch them 100 times.
    Something wrong about the.. the math.
    So.
    When music "business" was in its infancy (the MTV times), all anybody could do was to keep it running and when your fav came on, you just absorb it for 5 minutes. And buy the CD. Go buy a ticket. Now, you just click and click.
    That means, the music business (mostly ads) has not yet fully adjusted to the fans-math.

The solution now.. hm. The revelation and revolution for music "business" would be accepting that the ads for classical, jazz and all those things are worth more. Because the fans there have way more money. And the artists that produce that stuff should get paid more. When the math gets right, we're back in business! The real musicians I mean.

Just a desperate thought

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    There are some fresh fun things on KEXP.
    KEXP
    - YouTube

As always, depends on taste.. but I've found a few gems in those lives.
    This is very interesting.