Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 251 to 300 of 339
  1. #251

    User Info Menu

    So, yes. Chris Thile. In terms of sheer 'lolwhut?' ness, this ranks above my favourite things. Here's an entirely electronic track by Radiohead



    Covered by the Punch Brothers on acoustic bluegrass instruments.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #252

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post

    Might want to listen to Chris has to say here.
    He is better than you.
    TBF he is better than almost everyone alive.
    Strong evidence for newer music? I listen and hear what Bach (the best ever) had to say 300 years ago.

  4. #253

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    Strong evidence for newer music? I listen and hear what Bach (the best ever) had to say 300 years ago.

    LOL .. yeah .. He is like that Itzhak Perlman dude. Some stupid hack trying to capture the greatness of old school composers

  5. #254

    User Info Menu

    New "amateur" crap.


    Compared to this, old school "pros" turning knobs on some Moog or such look like toying.

  6. #255
    And you kids have nailed exactly what I hate about newer music. Thanks so much for the clarification.
    I might be stuck in the past and resistant to the newer technology and what it has produced. But nothing posted so far even resembles what rocked my world as a kid or a grown-up.

    This also explains why there are no venues worth playing any longer. Since as a soundman so aptly explained it a few years back."The People who listen to that music are either Dead or in AA!"

  7. #256

    User Info Menu

    Dunno, I'm 40 and find bad rock more annoying than bad dubstep.

  8. #257

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    New "amateur" crap.

    Compared to this, old school "pros" turning knobs on some Moog or such look like toying.
    You call that a HyperGrowl?

    This is a HyperGrowl!
    (old school pros, 1974)

    First note of the song... quick, turn it up!


  9. #258

    User Info Menu

    Add some reverb;



    Don't forget to stack the layers.

  10. #259

    User Info Menu

    Old and new together in happy synergy!


  11. #260

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I find the Laura Mvula in particular to be remarkably original.
    Agreed. The video itself is of sufficient interest to exemplify the Video as Art. Luscious.

  12. #261

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    And you kids have nailed exactly what I hate about newer music. Thanks so much for the clarification.
    I might be stuck in the past and resistant to the newer technology and what it has produced. But nothing posted so far even resembles what rocked my world as a kid or a grown-up.
    Well this is the point. It doesn't have to. The more you cling to what was great about music from the past, the more you'll miss what's great about other things.

    But it's your life. As for age, this is an attitude I grew out of. Maybe you will too.

  13. #262
    Thanks for the positive words of encouragement, but as they so famously said " It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!"

    Funny but it's the same with movies and newer Hipster restaurants as well. Been there done way too many times. And done much better in the past for me anyways.

    Grew up in New Orleans in the 1970's and it doesn't get any better than that maybe L.A. or New York City in 1950's and 1960s

  14. #263

    User Info Menu


  15. #264

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    Once again, the Herd is dumping on Jads. Their Herd offers protection, security, sameness, predictability, singularity of mind, confirmation, deindividuation, and the inability to coalesce the past and presence in objective criteria. They are smug, righteous and determined and their pathway ,as illustrative in History, always leads to the bottom. But they have a voice in a world where standards continue to decline in the Arts and the "least common denominator" is the norm. Whether we look at Painting, Music, Literature . . . there is a decline in talent and ability and "sameness" becomes the working narrative. No philosophical Mumbo Jumbo can change this reality. If you can't see it . . . fine. This is a world where the one-eyed Man is king. Good playing . . . Marinero
    Rather than answer any points laid against you, you opt instead for a broad-brush personal attack.

    Got it.

    Speaking of smug and righteous ...

  16. #265

    User Info Menu

    The tubas are coming for you.

    you have been warned.


  17. #266

    User Info Menu

    This thread is dumb.

  18. #267


    Okay I found something new that absolutely Rocks My World!

  19. #268

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    Strong evidence for newer music? I listen and hear what Bach (the best ever) had to say 300 years ago.
    I could not bear to watch J.S. Bach being dragged into Thile’s whirlpool of whimsy. Thile may be better than me musically, but at least I do not inflict sentimentality upon others.

  20. #269

    User Info Menu

    Thile's whirlpool of whimsy haha, I know what you mean. Actually he should really call his Live From Here band that.

    I'm signed up though, and actually he does have soul... He made me feel things with music, if that's what that means.

  21. #270

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Litterick View Post
    I could not bear to watch J.S. Bach being dragged into Thile’s whirlpool of whimsy. Thile may be better than me musically, but at least I do not inflict sentimentality upon others.
    Yeah----but do you like it?...

  22. #271

    User Info Menu

    Forgot that. There is this other way to look at "whats good and whats bad" music. Kinda poked out from peoples opinions here of course. It's about considering what piece of music "deserves to exist at all". That attitude is way more constructive and fair towards music. Although - completely subjective matter of taste again.. always have to accept that.

    For example - I hate this Vangelis piece with all my heart... chariots of fire BOOOOO! Yuck!!!... But it has an unique idea on its own and imo, totally deserves to exist. Same with that damn Ravel's piece I wouldn't want to say the name out loud. And there are tons of others like that in every thinkable style. I seriously hate some, but the same time I feel they do have right to be out there.

  23. #272

    User Info Menu

    This is rather new and well composed from older snippets. But completely worth as it is.


  24. #273

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Litterick View Post
    I could not bear to watch J.S. Bach being dragged into Thile’s whirlpool of whimsy. Thile may be better than me musically, but at least I do not inflict sentimentality upon others.
    Wow, " whirlpool of whimsy". Love it.

    I"m going to have to find a way to make this part of my everyday vocabulary.

  25. #274

    User Info Menu

    I think the internet has given access to so many musicians that we no longer spend the time to appreciate individual musicians like we used to before the internet. The extraordinary has become the ordinary. It's not that great musicians don't exist, it's that we no longer appreciate them.

    15 minutes of improv



    13 minutes of free improvisation...


  26. #275

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    Forgot that. There is this other way to look at "whats good and whats bad" music. Kinda poked out from peoples opinions here of course. It's about considering what piece of music "deserves to exist at all". That attitude is way more constructive and fair towards music. Although - completely subjective matter of taste again.. always have to accept that.

    For example - I hate this Vangelis piece with all my heart... chariots of fire BOOOOO! Yuck!!!... But it has an unique idea on its own and imo, totally deserves to exist. Same with that damn Ravel's piece I wouldn't want to say the name out loud. And there are tons of others like that in every thinkable style. I seriously hate some, but the same time I feel they do have right to be out there.
    Yeah, it's funny... The usual organisation suggests music is a subset of sound, but I hear sound as music which is different from hearing sound as sounds, or music as sounds, or even music as music. Some of the music that I like most deeply would drive ordinary people running to escape the room, certain that what they heard could only be madness and confusion. Then I realize that I abhor the music some people have dearly loved their whole lives.

  27. #276

    User Info Menu

    When I'm sometimes pick myself up and listen some Beethovens crazy sonata with focus, doing nothing else, I'm floored. But doesn't matter that those pack some "high value compositional punch", can't do it too often. Compared to some of those (from 19th cent. ), nothing impresses me from mainstream from today (and also "quality pop" from earlier). Until a few days have passed . Note-wise that is.

    My point is, there are so many viewpoints to estimate music. Each and every aspect of it could carry a bright idea. Like every single one. Notes and harmony share it with so many others.

  28. #277

    User Info Menu


  29. #278

    User Info Menu


  30. #279

    User Info Menu


  31. #280

    User Info Menu

    "There are plenty of modern composers whose music I would rather listen to than what I think of as unutterably boring compositions by people like Schumann," Christian

    Like this one by Schumann?




    or, perhaps this boring Romanza by Schumann played by "El Maestro?"



    I must strongly disagree. Schumann was one of the great composers of all time and had more "soul" in his little toe than 99% of today's composers. There are no composers today writing music of this caliber. Good playing . . . Marinero

  32. #281

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    "There are plenty of modern composers whose music I would rather listen to than what I think of as unutterably boring compositions by people like Schumann," Christian

    Like this one by Schumann?




    or, perhaps this boring Romanza by Schumann played by "El Maestro?"



    I must strongly disagree. Schumann was one of the great composers of all time and had more "soul" in his little toe than 99% of today's composers. There are no composers today writing music of this caliber. Good playing . . . Marinero
    interminable. Not even being transcribed for guitar can and played by Andres ‘OG’ Segovia can save him.

    people who like him are as bad as those that say Figaro is the best Mozart opera or live on the incorrect side of the river.

    This is the right Schu. This may actually qualify as my favourite piece of music:


    Also Schubert actually played the guitar. But the same is true of Berlioz and Ed Sheeran so I can’t draw any conclusions.

  33. #282

    User Info Menu

    Also currents in cakes. Who started this atrocity?

  34. #283

    User Info Menu

    That’s it. Schumann is exactly like fruit cake. Yuk. Brahms is like really nice carrot cake but someone has put dried fruit in there and I appreciate the cake while still going ‘yuk’ on some level.

    and then you have Verdi, whose early operas are all intolerable rumpty tumpty accordion music (this was the country that gave us Rossini ffs, get your act together) and then you get to the late stuff and Verdi suddenly has this counterpoint obsession going on because he’s incredibly insecure. So Falstaff is just full of this amazing technical flex thats also just sheer Verdi populism and tunes that make singers feel happy (that alone is a real gift) at the same time. It’s magic.

    and no one really notices because opera fans are incapable of hearing anything that isn’t a melody line.

    And then everyone goes ‘ooh Brahms counterpoint’ blah blah.

    But if you get like good Brahms, conducted by someone who can make him sound like the sum of the many many parts... wow. It’s just, rare in my experience.

    Anyway, this has no relevance to anything. Except perhaps that there’s music of every genre that I think is great and stuff that bores the bollocks off me.

    To pledge fealty to this or that genre, tradition, instrument or historical period seems a bit weird to me. Do people really listen to music like that?
    Last edited by christianm77; 05-22-2020 at 10:53 AM.

  35. #284

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=&amp]
    I must strongly disagree. Schumann was one of the great composers of all time and had more "soul" in his little toe than 99% of today's composers. There are no composers today writing music of this caliber.

    Amazing how your (and jads) personal musical taste is gospel, while everyone else's is rubbish.

    Other than playing the music and claiming that it is great, can you actually in words explain what makes Schumann better than say Schubert?

  36. #285

    User Info Menu

    I read that as ‘your personal musical taste is Gospel’ and I was confused


  37. #286

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I read that as ‘your personal musical taste is Gospel’ and I was confused


    Hehe .. tho speaking of which .. Despite her tragic end, Whitney towers over Shirley Horn and Dinah Washington

  38. #287

    User Info Menu



    Mozart is best ever!

  39. #288

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post


    Mozart is best ever!
    Beautiful!

  40. #289

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    Mozart is best ever!
    Oh Moozaart .. The boy genius! .. The best!


  41. #290

    User Info Menu


  42. #291

    User Info Menu

    #1 May this week Billboard Hot 100........and the last five decades. Let your ears be the judge. I like the timeless old school r&b arrangement/production vibe...kinda holds it's own with the other decades, IMO.



    #1 May 2010



    #1 May 2000



    #1 May 1990



    #1 May 1980

    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 05-23-2020 at 02:55 AM.

  43. #292

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Also currents in cakes. Who started this atrocity?
    Probably Thomas Edison. He supposedly loved practical jokes involving electric shocks.

  44. #293

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    Once again, the Herd is dumping on Jads. Their Herd offers protection, security, sameness, predictability, singularity of mind, confirmation, deindividuation, and the inability to coalesce the past and presence in objective criteria. They are smug, righteous and determined and their pathway ,as illustrative in History, always leads to the bottom. But they have a voice in a world where standards continue to decline in the Arts and the "least common denominator" is the norm. Whether we look at Painting, Music, Literature . . . there is a decline in talent and ability and "sameness" becomes the working narrative. No philosophical Mumbo Jumbo can change this reality. If you can't see it . . . fine. This is a world where the one-eyed Man is king. Good playing . . . Marinero
    You're projecting, and describing Jads perfectly, how sweetly ironic.

  45. #294

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PMB View Post
    Probably Thomas Edison. He supposedly loved practical jokes involving electric shocks.
    right, just for that I’m putting you on ‘ignore’ :-)

  46. #295

    User Info Menu

    Mozart’s refined and subtle wit

  47. #296

    User Info Menu

    The snobbery on parade here would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

  48. #297

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
    The snobbery on parade here would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

    Well, T,
    I wouldn't call it snobbery but rather differing tastes. This, for me, is the importance of Forums like JGF where people with similar or disparate tastes can share their ideas, feelings and concerns. For most of us, collaboration with other musicians is either non-existent or infrequent. And, at least in my case, it was a very important element in my musical development as a working musician where ideas, concepts and tastes were shared and explored. So, in a sense, we can at least share a vicarious experience through our written words.
    Also, when we air our ideas about Music, it gives others a sense of your level of Music exposure/understanding and how much or how little knowledge one possesses in their personal development. For example, when I was a young working musician in Chicago in my teen years through my late twenties, I was totally immersed in Old School Rock and Roll, R&B, and Jazz. I would frequently demean Classical Musicians and their music as dull and uninteresting. My musical tastes were only focused in one area with only a superficial knowledge of the Classical genre. However, later in life, when I lived in a rural area where there were no real possibilities, if any, for working with other musicians as a saxophonist, I switched lanes and returned to the guitar in a different format and began the serious study of Classical guitar. And over the last 30 years, it has provided for me ,as a musician, an incredible wealth of exposure to some of the greatest music ever written as well as expanding my vision of what it means to make good music irrespective of genre and how expression based on composition is essential to creating a musical personality. And, recently, returning to electric Jazz guitar performance, it has helped me approach this very different instrument ,compared to Classical guitar, with fresh eyes and a very open mind.
    So, for some, they seek to take the discussion on a personal level where personalities/tastes clash and and they chose invective rather than a desire to understand others views. And, this is certainly not beneficial to any serious discussion. So, for me, I enjoy the give and take and hope others will take a higher road to understand that Music has many facets and as in the words of the late Winston Churchill "If two people think the same about everything . . . there is only one person thinking." Good playing . . . Marinero

  49. #298

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    Well, T,
    I wouldn't call it snobbery but rather differing tastes. This, for me, is the importance of Forums like JGF where people with similar or disparate tastes can share their ideas, feelings and concerns.

    [...]

    So, for me, I enjoy the give and take and hope others will take a higher road to understand that Music has many facets and as in the words of the late Winston Churchill "If two people think the same about everything . . . there is only one person thinking." Good playing . . . Marinero
    It's not that differing opinions are being aired. It's the obvious sense of self-superiority some folks exhibit in expressing their views. That doesn't bug me that much, because at the end of the day they're only depriving themselves of good music (and good opinions!) with the obvious sense of closed superiority. I just think it's sad to see musicians -- artists -- be so closed-off to great stuff simply because it doesn't comport with their self-important opinions.

    Generally, I prefer discussions that aren't so didactic.

    But hey, it's their loss, not mine. <shrug> I regard open ears as the most important quality any musician can have. Just because something doesn't comport to my taste doesn't mean it sucks. De gustibum non disputandum.

  50. #299

    User Info Menu


  51. #300
    A local keyboard player who plays with a national R&B act said to me " R&B is where all the Jazz Musicians hide out!"
    And while I'm fine with most styles of music including Pop. It's when the Music is so dumbed down on purpose not only to sell it. But when the musicians think it's Cool?

    The great musicians who played on those iconic Pop Hits of the past. They knew it was mostly polishing Turds! They just were great at making most of it as good as they were able. And every once in awhile they came up with great performances as well!