The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Laura from Live LP Yesterday l Barney does his stuff, intro those chords no else seems to play, and no one really introduces a tune quite like him, not frightened to play it out. That melody thick Gibson sound, then the game hots up, interspersing chords a runs with each other,

At some point the Barney signature flurry of rapid scribble talk just to remind you he spend 3 months on bandstand with Charlie P.

Then finally the inimitable Barney groove swing peppered with shards of blues. The final chord tremolo Wes also did a similar thang. Can sound corny, but with those two boys............... nope

oops almost forgot.

It's a Blue World same LP, what can i say Go now immediately listen to it, Bebop lines galore up temp swing/groove. the use of repeated note.
    Pianist Brian Lemon underrated

both gorgeous tunes Sinatra and others did It's a Blue World . not so many guitar versions

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here is another version by Catherine:

User Info Menu

With regard to, "It's A Blue World, " the Mel Torme version is a classic as is this version by Billy Bauer , a name not mentioned as often as it should be.

User Info Menu

I can never get enough of Billy Bauer, but sadly there just isn't enough. He just didn't make many recordings and he lived until he was 90

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    brarrowed
    Wow, I never knew Grant Green did a recording of Laura. I have some songs from this session (e.g. All the Gin is Gone, Black Forest) and a few other songs, but not what I just found called "First Recordings".

If I recall correctly the CD I used to have was a Jimmy Forrest one.

Anyhow, I'm glad I found this since I can never get enough of early Grant Green.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 04-26-2020 at 05:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I never knew Grant Green did a recording of Laura. .
    Anyhow, I'm glad I found this since I can never get enough of early Grant Green.

nor did i thanks boys..... killer playing

User Info Menu

Laurendo Almeida wrote a book of beautiful classical arrangements of film tunes. They're great etudes for chord melody too.
    He was also a really good improvisor. This tune has an arrangement in his book.

Laura - Barney Kessel-screen-shot-2020-04-26-8-34-48-pm-png

User Info Menu

Now this IS a well written Pop Standard of its era!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

Wow! It doesn't get any better than this music! Jimmy Forest's(Night Train fame) husky tenor, Grant's spartan, melodic playing and what can't you say about Elvin, Harold and Gene? Where can I find this music today? Oh, yea . . . on old recordings. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Laurendo Almeida wrote a book of beautiful classical arrangements of film tunes. They're great etudes for chord melody too.
    He was also a really good improvisor. This tune has an arrangement in his book.
    Is the arrangement in the book anywhere close to the video in your post?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    With regard to, "It's A Blue World, " the Mel Torme version is a classic as is this version by Billy Bauer , a name not mentioned as often as it should be.
    Not wishing to spam but if you like this track you might be interested in the transcription I did recently:

Also you can download the PDF (and many others) free of charge
    https://fomusound.com/collections/music-and-everything-else

User Info Menu

4 Freshman did a very good version of It's A Blue World, a minor hit for them.