The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I will admit up front that I have never loved this song. In part because it seemed that drinking 'one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer' was not my idea of a good idea.

But I love John Lee Hooker. Also Amos Milburn, who puts the scotch before the bourbon in his version. George Thorogood goes into the song from "House Rent Blues".

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 04-19-2020 at 03:37 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

classic jl hooker tune...tho always partial to amos milburns version...but george thorogood did quite well with his version as well..it was the breakout track from his very first lp

cheers

ps- another classic (much covered) drinkin' song

Last edited by neatomic; 04-19-2020 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    another classic (much covered) drinkin' song

. . . including the one and only Mister Michael Bloomfield:

Imagine how loud ya have to crank a blackface Twin to get that distortion!
    Last edited by Sam Sherry; 04-19-2020 at 06:14 PM.

User Info Menu

That sure is a much-covered song. I first heard it by Jerry Lee Lewis. (This isn't the version from the '50s; this one was from the early '70s and was something of a hit.)

User Info Menu

"Now you funny too."

I heard the Thorogood version first as a teen, then later dug up JLH's. This is the first time I heard Amos's version, just doesn't have enough attitude for my taste. I'm not partial to drinking songs anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    "Now you funny too."
    That's the line that brought the song up. I was talking to my wife about something posted elsewhere and she said I'm funny but she's not so funny and before I could think about it I found myself saying, "Now you funny too."

She knew Thorogood's version and I found it on YouTube later and played it for us. It had been a long time. George had a helluva lot of energy back then, didn't he? I liked his early records.

Milburn was great at boogie woogie. His version of "Down the Road A Piece" is my favorite. It kills. Hmm, since that's a much covered song too, I think I'll throw it in here.
    "Man, it's better than chicken fried in bacon grease" is one of my all-time favorite song lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Man, I've gotta transcribe some of those licks on guitar! This has got 'tude.

User Info Menu

chuck berry already beat ya to it!!! haha

this was the version that caught the stones attention very early on

cheers

User Info Menu

cheers
    Dammit! Ninja'ed again, hmph. There ain't much Chuck didn't get in on early. Though I gotta admit a 60-year ninja probably indicates I was asleep at the wheel for a bit, lol.

User Info Menu

I tried to play the left hand part on guitar and the results weren't pretty. Guess I didn't want to do it bad enough to slowly, slowly work it up to tempo. But that's a great riff.

Here's a tutorial on how to play it on piano:

User Info Menu

The fills he's doing on his right hand is what caught my ear. There's a lot of sweet tinkling between the b3 and nat3 on both the I and the IV7 that would be some ripe fields for me.

User Info Menu

Pass the bottle , mate...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

cheers
    Yeah. Look, I love Chuck and I love the Stones but their covers of that blow.