User Info Menu

Continuing to use my pandemic down time to review my old Jimmy Raney solos, this is "Just Friends" the tune followed by Raney's wonderful solo. It's my favorite solo in the whole book, and unfortunately the hardest. It has one of those extra-long and sinewy Raney bop lines in the first improv chorus that just ties me in knots, but it's the very thing I want to learn how to play.

I'm really impressed with the Quilter Tone Block 202 amp. I play it through the dual 10" speakers of my Yahama G100-210 and wow, dual speakers really make this little head shine. Recording from the XLR, Quilter claims there is some kind of interaction between the XLR and the speaker cabinet attached. I have no clue how this Darke Magique doth Work, but it sure does sound nice.

Do you just play sometimes because you simply can't believe the guitar and amp you use sound so wonderful? I'm feeling that these days.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice, LS! Very nice indeed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Continuing to use my pandemic down time to review my old Jimmy Raney solos, this is "Just Friends" the tune followed by Raney's wonderful solo. It's my favorite solo in the whole book, and unfortunately the hardest. It has one of those extra-long and sinewy Raney bop lines in the first improv chorus that just ties me in knots, but it's the very thing I want to learn how to play.
    Nice going Lawson! Carry on. You are definitely improving. Play, play and play. And stay away from those silly theory threads!

DB

User Info Menu

That tune's a favourite of mine - well done and thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Nice going Lawson! Carry on. You are definitely improving. Play, play and play. And stay away from those silly theory threads!

DB
    Thanks so much DB. I think imitating the masters is going to be my main method now. On the side, though I've posted none of my own improvising, I am seeing real improvement on tunes that I know extremely well. I've always known you gotta know the changes to play them, but I'm realizing that my best improvisation really is on tunes whose changes are in my bones. Chord tones are becoming easier to find naturally, I'm not hunting for the root as much, chromaticism is more spontaneous, and I might even be getting better time!

I used to hate hearing my own improvisation. Now I find it endurable, if not enjoyable.