The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    hello everyone, in this video I play after you've gone: -Theme; - Improvisation; - theme

Can you give me some advice, comment, or only an opinion?

Thank you so much

Inviato dal mio ANE-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I liked it. No real suggestions except for compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I liked it. No real suggestions except for compliments.
    Thank you After You've Gone (looking for feedback)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Davide _Ibanez
    hello everyone, in this video I play after you've gone: -Theme; - Improvisation; - theme

Thank you so much

Nice. Very good. Try starting some phrases on off beats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Davide _Ibanez

Thank you so much

I really liked how you developed your solo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

David -

I've got more to say than that. I'd feel I was withholding if I didn't. And it has nothing to do with negative criticism.

Well, first of all make sure the backing chords are precisely in time. If they're not you'll find it much harder to play over them.

You're a bit nervous of the tune. You're repeating notes instead of just leaving a space. Don't be afraid of spaces.

Slow it all down a bit and be quite sure you can play the melody without hesitation.

One tip is you don't have to play the tune exactly as it's written on any sheet music. You can introduce your own little ways of doing, say, end phrases. Perhaps a bluesy feel or something like that. Or embellishing the melody a bit.

Don't be afraid to personalise it a bit. It's easier to play and makes you feel more confident.

When you came to the end of the melody you weren't sure how to introduce the solo, it got pretty confused. Sort that out so you know what you're going to play there. Keep it simple and to the point.

Do the solo in segments. Not bar by bar but phrase by phrase. It goes Eb major to Ebm6, right? Those bars can be done as one phrase. And so on with the other phrases.

The first time you did Eb to Ebm6 you were fine because you'd practised it and knew where you were going. After that you weren't sure any more.

I'm absolutely NOT saying you should memorise solos but you need a good idea of the principle behind what you play. If you know how to solo over a 6th root dom and a 5th root dom you should be fine. The notes and shapes are there and you just use them.

Most people fail because they're over-ambitious so keep it simple. Then you can get more complicated. But if you start complicated and mess up... where to go then?

I don't think it's too fast for you providing you know what you're going to play. If you don't have a good idea it will be.

You might find it easier in G but if you like Bb, okay :-)

That all right?

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    David -

I've got more to say than that. I'd feel I was withholding if I didn't. And it has nothing to do with negative criticism.

Well, first of all make sure the backing chords are precisely in time. If they're not you'll find it much harder to play over them.

You're a bit nervous of the tune. You're repeating notes instead of just leaving a space. Don't be afraid of spaces.

Slow it all down a bit and be quite sure you can play the melody without hesitation.

One tip is you don't have to play the tune exactly as it's written on any sheet music. You can introduce your own little ways of doing, say, end phrases. Perhaps a bluesy feel or something like that. Or embellishing the melody a bit.

Don't be afraid to personalise it a bit. It's easier to play and makes you feel more confident.

When you came to the end of the melody you weren't sure how to introduce the solo, it got pretty confused. Sort that out so you know what you're going to play there. Keep it simple and to the point.

Do the solo in segments. Not bar by bar but phrase by phrase. It goes Eb major to Ebm6, right? Those bars can be done as one phrase. And so on with the other phrases.

The first time you did Eb to Ebm6 you were fine because you'd practised it and knew where you were going. After that you weren't sure any more.

I'm absolutely NOT saying you should memorise solos but you need a good idea of the principle behind what you play. If you know how to solo over a 6th root dom and a 5th root dom you should be fine. The notes and shapes are there and you just use them.

Most people fail because they're over-ambitious so keep it simple. Then you can get more complicated. But if you start complicated and mess up... where to go then?

I don't think it's too fast for you providing you know what you're going to play. If you don't have a good idea it will be.

You might find it easier in G but if you like Bb, okay :-)

That all right?
    Thank you for the advice!
    The chord not precise on time is a problem with the audio Interface, there are a lot of latency, first I recorded the melody and solo on a backing track, and after I self accompanied and recorder the rithm line, but there are a lot of latency. After I "adjust" it moving the rithm line to synchronize with lead, but the perfect precision it's impossible to obtain.

I prefer not personalize to much this theme, because it's very incisive as it is written, the second reframe I play it in a more personal mood to go to Finale.
    I agree with you when you speak about the "play like is written" the sound is so flat for recording problem, I don't know if it's a file compression issue or other, but the sound ad playing loses a lot (now I try others way to record because I hate this flat and unexpressive sound, it's like to play all loud).

The improvvisation yes, I understand what you say, work on phrases and not only on a scale or arpeggios.
    It's some month I work on this way, to play more "naturally", and I fell a lot of changement in my style and playing.

For the "panic" in Bb7 (before solo) I preferred not modify the track, because for me the Jazz improvvisation, but all the improvvisation in music, it's also this. And without this "mistake" loses its naturalness. Obliviously there must be no sensational errors After You've Gone (looking for feedback)After You've Gone (looking for feedback)

Thank you so much for you message After You've Gone (looking for feedback) it helps me a lot

User Info Menu

David -

Ah, computer problem. I used to have that, it's horrible. Not enough RAM or something. Eventually I got a more modern computer and was okay. I hope you sort it out. I used to use a small tape recorder for the backing but of course I couldn't record as well... Maybe you could with some kind of recorder in the room for the backing + mobile phone, I don't know.

I prefer not personalize to much this theme, because it's very incisive as it is written, the second reframe I play it in a more personal mood to go to Finale.
    Perfect.

work on phrases and not only on a scale or arpeggios.
    I'd say yes, although arpeggios are useful and necessary. I tend to use chord shapes a lot. For example, over the Ebm6 I'd use the notes round the shape xxx878 and xxx876. Coming down that puts you very nicely on the 3rd (D) of Bb... and so on. That's not the only place, of course.

I also meant to mention before: in this kind of swing tune using the 9ths over the doms is very effective. But you probably know that :-)

Obliviously there must be no sensational errors
    :-)

I think where you are is not having a good time with this virus. I hope everyone you know is okay.