User Info Menu

So I'm still working full time from home, but finding that it still is giving me some extra guitar time. So I'm going back over the Jimmy Raney solos I learned a few years ago, and trying to learn the heads as well as the solos and seeing if I can develop them as actual things to play.

Playing music and Social Distancing actually can work tighter. I play, people socially distance themselves...

Guitar: Gibson 90's ES165 Herb Ellis
    Amp: Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue "Sweetwater" Limited Edition (12" CR speaker, tweed cover).
    Mic'd with Shure SM57.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So I'm still working full time from home, but finding that it still is giving me some extra guitar time. So I'm going back over the Jimmy Raney solos I learned a few years ago, and trying to learn the heads as well as the solos and seeing if I can develop them as actual things to play.

Playing music and Social Distancing actually can work tighter. I play, people socially distance themselves...

Guitar: Gibson 90's ES165 Herb Ellis
    Amp: Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue "Sweetwater" Limited Edition (12" CR speaker, tweed cover).
    Mic'd with Shure SM57.

That was great Lawson. I love your tone. You had total control of the instrument and the material. Very well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here's the same tune played through the Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb amp, using the XLR/SM57 line out to record. I really love the way this ES165 sounds played through this amp.

User Info Menu

I know, back away from the horse, it's already dead...

But today I found a NEW BACKING TRACK! Working with the Raney solos, using his backing tracks, I find I start relying too much on his cues instead of on my sense of time. I play with it by playing the solo over different choruses of the recording, but today I realized that the Hal Leonard 6th edition Real Book has this tune, in Eb, and they have the corresponding backing track. In addition, instead of the easy 145bpm of Raney's track, the HL runs at about 170-175 which is a bit quick for me.

In keeping with my philosophy that I don't post to impress you with my perfection, but simply to share where I'm at in my playing, this clip is literally my second time through with this track, at this tempo. You can tell I'm struggling to keep up in a few spots, but I gotta say I'm also having a ton of fun with this.

Fun. Right? That's why we play!