The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi,

This is a really fun tune that sits so well on the guitar. I created a lead sheet for it... Same changes as "Topsy" (if you already know Topsy this will be easy to learn, and if you don't then learn Topsy also - two songs for the price of one).

Let me know what you think

edit 9/10/2015, some 5 years later... I corrected the typo in measure 9, the chord should be Bb7, not Db7

Box
    Last edited by fep; 09-10-2015 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Correction

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, cool tune! Are you sure about the last chord in the B section being a major 7 and not dominant? I havn't listened to it in a while, but just seems a little odd.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I love that tune. First heard it back in the 60's. Stuck in my head, but I couldn't remember what it was. I played it for Attila Zoller about 15 years ago and asked him if he knew what it was. He said, "Oh yeah, that's a Barney Kessel thing!" I play it all the time, and now I have it on CD!

User Info Menu

I have that one on CD also. It's a great tune.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Fep. This is a great tune.

User Info Menu

Barney Kesel..another monster player...

Time on the instrument

User Info Menu

Another current thread is about Herb Ellis's "Pickley Wickly" (-the title gets spelled a few different ways and I'm not sure which one to use.) Anyway, the progression is pretty much the same as "Topsy" and Barney's "Salute to Charlie Christian" (-though "Pickley" has a slightly different bridge).

Good to know all three, no? ;o)

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/getti...tml#post566159

User Info Menu

Fantastic.
    In saying thank you, in case you have nos heard/seen this Barney Kessell in 1944 with Lester Young. Barney gets to blow at about 7:30 but don't skip ahead as every second is golden.

Jordan Klemons recently transcribed the first Lester improv which is how I heard the video, I think I will transcribe this also. Enjoy:

User Info Menu

Oops, I see a mistake on my pdf, measure 10 the chord is indicated as a Db7, it should be a Bb7. Some last minute editing...

User Info Menu

I made the Bb7 (not Db7) correction at measure 9 and posted a link to the pdf in the first post.

User Info Menu

I made this for the "Pickley Wickly" thread but thought it might fit here too---the way I play the bridge of this tune.

Chords: Bb7 / Bb7 / Eb7 / Eb7 / Ab7 / Ab7 / Db / Cm7b5 F7 /

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 09-15-2015 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Sorry for asking a (probably) really dumb question, but how can I find a lead sheet for "Salute to Charlie Christian"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityKen
    Sorry for asking a (probably) really dumb question, but how can I find a lead sheet for "Salute to Charlie Christian"?
    There’s a link in the first post in this thread.

User Info Menu

buy the wolf marshall book . has all barney kessels early stuff progressing up to his more contempoary style..Barney Kessel's "Salute to Charlie Christian" - Lead Sheet-barney-jpg

Sorry, but I don't see the link. Would you please copy the link for me? Many thanx!

I think I've got the right link: Box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityKen
    I think I've got the right link: Box
    That's the one.