The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey!
    I really want to share this, because I'm really proud of how this turned out, but I'm also trying to get better, so I'm also happy about any kind of Feedback.

This started out as a creative challenge. Nowhere in the lyrics to mariah careys "All i want for christmas is you" is explicitly pointed out, that that wish actually came true. So there's Room for Interpretation ?
    Therefore i wanted to make it Sound a lot darker.

So I transposed the whole tune to minor, and reharmonized it. I also wanted to make it sound like something Duke Ellington might have written, so I really tried to get into that Sound aesthetic.

Any kind of feedback is welcome, I never took any arrangement classes, but I really want to get better!

Paul
    Last edited by Webby; 12-23-2019 at 05:08 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dig the arrangement. Never heard the original. This seems to have a bittersweet quality that I like. Could definitely frame a nightclub sequence in a detective movie. Cars with fenders, Deco decor, dangerous dames, flatfoots, floozies, and flunkies - all the trimmings. Nice!

User Info Menu

I’m only vaguely familiar with the original, but I like your rendition. It makes me think of Randy Newman. Write your own lyrics and make it a burlesque-style naughty Christmas tune.

User Info Menu

Paul,

Very nice indeed!

I am am myself very much in re-harmonizing. If you check out Yvan Jacques on YouTube, you will find a lot of my work (re-harmonization and arranging) played by Yvan. I use BiaB for all my work.

Brgds,
    Tonnie

User Info Menu

I am willing to do your Christmas wish, just tell me which tune

User Info Menu

I love the strong New Orleans style you arranged this tune. I would rename it - All I Want For Christmas Is To Get Out Of This Whorehouse Without The Clap.

Thanks a lot for all the nice words everybody!
    You've all been very encouraging!

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    [...] This seems to have a bittersweet quality that I like. Could definitely frame a nightclub sequence in a detective movie. Cars with fenders, Deco decor, dangerous dames, flatfoots, floozies, and flunkies - all the trimmings. Nice!
    Glad it made you think of that stuff. That's exactly what I had hoped to evoke!

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I’m only vaguely familiar with the original, but I like your rendition. It makes me think of Randy Newman. Write your own lyrics and make it a burlesque-style naughty Christmas tune.
    I love the idea of a naughty burlesque christmas tune! That one would obviously need a music-video to go with it, so I better start early for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by tonnie
    [...] If you check out Yvan Jacques on YouTube, you will find a lot of my work (re-harmonization and arranging) played by Yvan. I use BiaB for all my work.

Brgds,
    Tonnie
    Thank you!
    I just checked Yvan out on youtube, lots of beautiful music, great work!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I love the strong New Orleans style you arranged this tune. I would rename it - All I Want For Christmas Is To Get Out Of This Whorehouse Without The Clap.
    My arrangement seems to lend itself to dirty thoughts, can't say that I don't actually like that.

Paul