The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21
    joelf Guest
    I believe this Jones-Schmidt song (from The Fantasticks) to be a classic. It's certainly stood the test of time: the show opened in '60, ran for over 40 years with just 2 pianos and a superb cast (Jerry Orbach---yeah, that Jerry Orbach, introduced it---literally, since it's at the very opening of the show. He was the 1st El Gallo, a sort of one-man Greek chorus, if you're keeping score.

In addition to the superb lyric---a model of true and near rhyme ('... a tender and callow fellow...') and superb, intuitive alliteration, the tune fits like a glove.

A word about this particular Singers Unlimited rendition: The brilliant vocal arranger of the popular '50s male quartet the Hi-Los, Gene Puerling, decided to put together this quartet and use the available '70s studio technology like overdubbing to create the illusion of as many as 19 voices. Female Bonnie Herman was IMO to die.

Finally, I did finally see a revival at the Snapple Theater almost 13 years ago, with a very beloved friend I'll call TCD (the subject of many of my own songs FWIW). We treasured it and still treasure the memory.

Enjoy:

Last edited by joelf; 12-15-2019 at 05:57 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    The original Fantasticks rendition by Mr. Orbach and co. is sweet for sure, but IMO too fast, in contrast to the lyric telling us to remember when 'life was slow and oh, so mellow':

User Info Menu

Great tune, try this version by Ed Ames...

User Info Menu

Again, I think I like Bobby Darin's
    best, seems to make every tune his own....

User Info Menu

yeah try to remember was big song in my early youth..the andy williams version..which was a hit...

andy was a capable singer and benefitted from nice columbia records production

fantastiks was a real slice of old nyc...what days!

cheers

User Info Menu

Partial to Roy Orbison's version.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I wish Sinatra did it.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah try to remember was big song in my early youth..the andy williams version..which was a hit...

andy was a capable singer and benefitted from nice columbia records production

fantastiks was a real slice of old nyc...what days!

cheers
    Andy was to me better than capable and better than good. His vocal resonance was on a par with Sinatra's, and his technique to die for. I say 'was' b/c I heard him sing a few years ago on a PBS beg-a-thon, and he'd lost so much that I wished he'd quit while he was ahead, not behind.

Be that as it may, in his salad days Andy Williams was in the top ten or five. Every singer respected his abilities...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    yeah man...poppins for the win! great

she sung moondog before..(she was hipper than appearances)

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Andy was to me better than capable and better than good. His vocal resonance was on a par with Sinatra's, and his technique to die for. I say 'was' b/c I heard him sing a few years ago on a PBS beg-a-thon, and he'd lost so much that I wished he'd quit while he was ahead, not behind.

Be that as it may, in his salad days Andy Williams was in the top ten or five. Every singer respected his abilities...
    no convincing here needed! he started singing harmonies with his brothers..there's an xmas tv special about that is wonderful...i heard much andy williams early on..the phrasing and the great columbia studios reverb fascinated me such..that i'm here today...haha

his voice a balm to me

cheers

User Info Menu

Hah, my folks always had some Andy in their collection, I grew up on that stuff. Never disliked it but it was later until I really appreciated it.

User Info Menu

I was living in Brooklyn when i went to this small theater straight ahead entertainment and when i heard that tune my brain went several ways with it and they all worked except the square dance version wait a minute that worked to.No it was the Ethiopian 5 note scale maybe.Or maybe it is a perfect song.

User Info Menu

Gladys Spoken quote at the top here is lovely

I love this performance....

the he band is superb , and the Unknown guitar player is Legendary to me
    sorry to skew the thread

User Info Menu

I want to play a medley with some other tunes... which tunes would go together? Moon River comes to mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images Try to Remember---one of the most perfect songs-trytoremember-g-jpg 

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah man...poppins for the win! great

she sung moondog before..(she was hipper than appearances)

cheers
    Confession: Been in love with her forever.

It's not just the talent---I have a thing for petite brunettes. Once fell for a gal that looked like Julie A.; Judy Woodruff (in her younger days) and Judy Licht, who used to be on channel 5 NY news, before Fox reared its ugly head.

As yiz were...
    Last edited by joelf; 12-17-2019 at 12:36 AM.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    I want to play a medley with some other tunes... which tunes would go together? Moon River comes to mind.
    Original key=F. The Singers Unlimited took it many places. Puerling is unmatched.

Nah, Moon River paired with this would be like matching 2 heavyweight champ songs. Why not do it alone and take it through key or metric changes?

Can't help myself---I'm under Puerling and the composers' spell. Do what moves you...

joelf Guest
    I would have LOVED to hear the Beach Boys in their prime sing this song. HUGE Brian Wilson fan, and his big early influence was---guess what? The Hi-Los---led by one Gene Puerling.

Gotta run, but maybe someone can put up the Beach Boys doing Their Hearts Were Full of Spring, to hear the Hi-Los through the Wilson genius...

User Info Menu

The Fantasticks was a really nice show. I saw it in high school, '77 or so. By then it was already kind of an institution, but actors cycled through it pretty fast so it stayed fresh.

John

User Info Menu

Amazing Grace + Try To Remember in G

User Info Menu

A reponse to John A.did you see it at a small off Broadway theater in NY thats about the time i saw it. if so we may have been there at the same time crazy.