The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

A friend and I are learning "Fly Me to the Moon." I looked around and I could not find an Jazz guitarist who recorded a single-note version of the solo. I found one by Wes Montgomery, but it uses a lot of octaves.

I looked at a few on Youtube and most seem to be chord melody versions. Even the solo by Mr. Frank Vignola ( who was playing with Joey DeFrancesco). I soon gave up and figured I would ask here on the forum.

So did someone like Pat Martino, Kenny Burrell, Doug Raney, Grant Green, or Barney Kessell ever record a single note version?

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

By the way, there are a lot of different posts and threads available on this site that can help one learn this song, including a study group from 2011. Also, the site has a lesson for the chords.

Just, FYI (for your information)

User Info Menu

Ernest Ranglin with Monty Alexander:

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell:

User Info Menu

Russell Malone:

User Info Menu

Howard Roberts:

User Info Menu

My cup runneth over!

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Hearing all this different versions just reminded me of how much I love Kenny’s playing and sound..... thanks for that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Hearing all this different versions just reminded me of how much I love Kenny’s playing and sound..... thanks for that!
    I definitely enjoyed his (Kenny B's) solo the most, followed by Russell Malone's. I like the bouncy feel they had and their lines, which often covered two chords. That is what I am shooting for.

User Info Menu

I guess the question now is, who didn't play FMTTM?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I guess the question now is, who didn't play FMTTM?
    That's just it. It's easy enough but doing something different and interesting with it is the challenge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    That's just it. It's easy enough but doing something different and interesting with it is the challenge.
    You might be onto something with this sentiment. For example, if you look up Frank Vignola's video (I don't think he has a recording), he does a very different type of solo on it.

It does seem to be a favorite of those that can play chord melodies and was a favorite at weddings.

User Info Menu

But which video? There are several - Joey Defrancesco, Tommy Emmanuel, Bucky Pizzarelli, etc. He does a nice bluesy thing on one of them.

As for weddings and funerals, well :-)

User Info Menu

It's a shame they skip notes in the melody (bar 3) but the solos are interesting.

User Info Menu

These are all great fun. I enjoyed them all, but I really have a soft spot in my ear/heart for Ernest Ranglin and Monty Alexander. They are two artists who hail from Jamaica and cross over between reggae and jazz with fluid ease. You don't really get the reggae taste in the clip above, but go and explore Ranglin and Alexander's work.

Last edited by Greentone; 01-07-2020 at 11:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Some different examples

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    These are all great fun. I enjoyed them all, but I really have a soft spot in my ear/heart for Ernest Ranglin and Monty Alexander. They are two artists who hail from Jamaica and cross over between reggae and jazz with fluid ease. You don't really get the reggae taste in the clip above, but go and explore Ranglin and Alexander's work.

That was also a nice version so learn some licks to copy. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Some different examples

Man, great guitar playing and comping. Full of ideas for lines and comping.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Here's a goodie: