User Info Menu

I am interested in what chord you all play in the second measure of Wayne Shorter's 502 Blues. The Db Maj 7 in the Real Book doesn't sound right to me; I think the bass player in the original may be playing a Db, but Ab7 sounds better to me. I suppose if you a Db in the bass of an Ab 7 you get a type of Db Maj 7, but I don't think that was the intent. Anyway, the Real Book ( at least I think that is where it came from) has this:

Amin7/ DbMaj7/ Bminb5/ E7#9

Amin7/ DbMaj7/ Bminb5/ E7#9

Cmin 9/ F7b9/ BbMaj7/ Abmin 7 Db9

F#minb5/ B7b9/ EMaj 7

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Russ

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love that tune) Maybe its a Dbmaj voicing thing. I use

x4352x or sometimes x4356 the Db octave or the F octave seem to add the right flavor for me or maybe I am tone deaf

Will

User Info Menu

I haven't seen a single version yet that didn't have a DbM7. I think one had DbM7(#5) because the melody contains a natural A. But, in his solos, Wayne always plays Bb/Ab and the chord is just a DbM7.

This guy talks about it here at 3.27.

The versions on YouTube have Herbie Hancock playing piano but there's a version with Jimmy Rowles. I'm about to post it on YouTube. The piano is very clear and I think he's just playing either a DbM7 or a straight Db maj or maybe Db6.

See what you think. It'll appear shortly (no pun intended). Whether this will help you with your chord voicings, of course, is another matter.
    Last edited by ragman1; 12-06-2019 at 10:27 AM.

User Info Menu

I guess I will need to "grow my ears" and get used to the sound! I like the song the more I have played through it.

Thanks,

Russ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I think that one's still Herbie.

The solos sound to me like they are still playing a DbM7. Wayne plays a pentatonic several times, starting on the 5 or 3 maybe giving the impression of a different chord. Herbie's solo shows definite signs of DbM7.

Version with Jimmy Rowles has a pretty different tone to it.

User Info Menu

You're right. It was wrongly listed so I've deleted it. But the Jimmy Rowles one (and it is him on piano) is a different arrangement. Sounds to me like they stay on Am + variations (like CM7) but I could be wrong.

Couldn't resist it. I played with putting in lots of different chords in bar 2. Otherwise it's Am - X - Bm7b5 - E7b9. The subs are as follows. Some of them are quite interesting. I've included the DbM7 (as a sub for CM7). Sorry the quality isn't better.

CM7
    FM7
    Am6
    F#7b5
    DbM7
    Ao
    F7
    C+
    B7