The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12
    joelf Guest
    One of my faves. I recorded it in Frankie's key and stole from Jenkins's chart. Here's the Chairman---and dig that low A ending. (Tony Bennett to follow):

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest

Doesn't get any better than those two.

joelf Guest
    And FWIW, inspired by Ol' Blue Eyes, here's my little bauble from Melody Messenger (on purpose the 1st tune, since I was endeavoring to tell stories). Let's have some fun and see who can hear the steal from Gordie Jenkins's chart:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The Sinatra Bennett renditions are great and probably the most well known, but after the Darin version I like Brook Benton's best though it's not on youtube

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    The Sinatra Bennett renditions are great and probably the most well known, but after the Darin version I like Brook Benton's best though it's not on youtube
    Thanks. I'll look into it. I remember Benton---and fondly...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    And FWIW, inspired by Ol' Blue Eyes, here's my little bauble from Melody Messenger (on purpose the 1st tune, since I was endeavoring to tell stories). Let's have some fun and see who can hear the steal from Gordie Jenkins's chart:

Great stuff Joel! Fine playing!

DB

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Great stuff Joel! Fine playing!

DB
    Thanks, Dick. Worked my ass off on that entire CD. I KNOW you know about work, so a compliment from you means something.

As Cyrano said: 'I thank you, and again I thank you'...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Yes, fine rendition.

Digging the rubato up front---makes it a recitation and song at the same time...and becomes effectively like a verse.

Smart man, that Darin...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the fine rendition Joel. The song was always a favorite of mine. The other side of the 45 wasn't too bad either. It is one of the few vinyl records I've kept.

Once Upon a Time-tb45-jpg

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Thanks for the fine rendition Joel. The song was always a favorite of mine. The other side of the 45 wasn't too bad either. It is one of the few vinyl records I've kept.

Once Upon a Time-tb45-jpg
    Ha. How many requests he must get.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite bad jokes:

A guy I'll call Lenny has a bum ticker. Goes to the doctor. 'Lenny, I got bad news and good news. The bad: you'll live maybe a year w/o a heart transplant. IF you're lucky. The good: I got you on the list for a year from now.'

Old Lenny hangs on, does due diligence---makes it through w/o getting sicker. So the phone rings: 'Mr. Lenny Lefkowitz? Your heart is here and ready for transplant! It's in a cooler for you to pick up and we've booked you for transplant surgery tomorrow morning.'

Lenny is both pleased and scared to death. 'What if I don't make it through the surgery? The heart's rejected? I'm not exactly in tip-top shape'. Decides to go out and party hearty this possible last night on earth. Calls a friend. They pick up the heart in the cooler and drive 40 miles to downtown and hit every bar and dance joint. Lines of coke, liquor, women. Last stop is a disco.

They party more at the disco, turn back to go home. 30 miles out Lenny realizes something.

'Oh, s&&t----we gotta go back!!'.

'Have you lost your mind, too?! I'm not turning back now. What could be so important anyway?'

'We gotta go back 'cause (everybody now, c'mon) I LEFT MY HEART IN STAN FRAN'S DISCO'...

(I'm here through Thursday, etc.)...
    Last edited by joelf; 12-01-2019 at 06:07 PM.