Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

one of my favourite tunes - how about this amazingly laid back KB version - wow how well does he know this tune?
    -any other good versions? - i like Mark Murphy doing this too.... - and how the hell is everyone else dealing with the formatting problems?
    Last edited by Groyniad; 10-20-2019 at 01:36 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I deal with the formatting problems by using Firefox.

User Info Menu

The sound really sits in the fingers...
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

-Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

User Info Menu

its happy there - settled - i'd have to warm up forever to sound this relaxed

User Info Menu

I really love this tune, my favorite version is Jacky Terrasson and Cassandra Wilson's version.

User Info Menu

Many thanks for posting this, I am YouTubing since years but did not find this gem.

So there is no need for L5 and any special amp/reverb/PU to get a vintage soul moving jazz sound, I am very happy with this experience, this saves me a lot of time, and also gives me the solution, The only thing I need, I must practice and listen, then practice and listen until the result sounds like this video
    Last edited by Gabor; 10-21-2019 at 11:54 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been practicing and listening for a long time already, and I don't sound like that video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I've been practicing and listening for a long time already, and I don't sound like that video.
    Same here. Still at least I know that L5 is not missing for the result. (or not the L5 is missing for the result)

User Info Menu

interesting - the moments that you can hear its a flat-top acoustic guitar (not that often)

his phrasing is really wonderful here - and so representative of his thing

tiny little explosions of 16th notes ornamenting a melody and not taking away from a very gentle lyrical vibe

and his solo is so free - quite tricky form this tune has

but mark murphy gets the prize for me (so far) - this is serious jazz singing:

User Info Menu

although this is very close
    and this is the very wonderful Barry Galbraith on geetar

User Info Menu

Very, very nice! And Kenny's not even playing a "jazz guitar".

User Info Menu

What a performance! Those guys transform the tune and the mood to the next level. Even the head is incredible and the solos...

User Info Menu

I like Kenny's version and Kenny generally. I wish he'd included Weill's intro (from Lady in the Dark) like Gil did with Miles and many other renditions. I just feel it's part of the piece and regret its absence.

Fine trio, cadenza, and sensitive treatment, though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
    What a performance! Those guys transform the tune and the mood to the next level. Even the head is incredible and the solos...

Wonderiferous!