The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KB_Blues
    Great video, thanks!

Does anyone happen to know whether Kenny always used a pick or if he ever used finger and/or thumb? I was listening to the nylon string stuff on Moon and Sand and thought it might be fingers.
    I always heard he was famous for circle picking. I think he often uses hybrid style to get a finger style type sound when he needs it. I'm not an authority, just what I've observed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I too love "Midnight Blue." Such a great record. Had it on vynal, back in the day, but God only knows where that it wound up. His is my favorite version of "Gee, Baby, Ain't I Good To You."

User Info Menu

One of my favorites too....Wavy Gravvy also...

the herb ellis quote and advice should be adhered to by beginners as well as intermediates...

get the song in your head...learn the lyrics...the words will deliver the mood of the song....yes?

time on the instrument...pierre

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pierre richard
    get the song in your head...learn the lyrics...the words will deliver the mood of the song....yes?
    +1. I'm a writer, so I have reams of lyrics in my head. I used to fill notebooks with lyrics to my favorite songs. (I pre-date the PC by a wide step!) I learn some tunes more for the lyric than, um 'jazz-worthiness' of the song, such as Johnny Mercer's lyric to the Harry Warren tune called "On the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe." (It's a catchy tune, but not one I would learn for its own sake; I learned it so I could sing those lyrics!)

I also like songs with silly / fun lyrics, like "Frim Fram Sauce" and Louis Jordan tunes such as "Is You Is, Or Is You Ain't My Baby."

User Info Menu

Until I really looked at it closely, Kenny's acoustic guitar appears to be a steel string acoustic strung with nylon strings, a very unusual setup. I'm thinking maybe a standard size classical guitar with it's shorter and wider neck might have been a bit small for him to comfortably play, since he usually plays that large body Gibson Super 400.

User Info Menu

From the close-ups it looks like he has quite a disciplined classical type of right hand technique - one finger per string. I sometimes play jazz on a nylon (I'm a big Charlie Byrd fan) but my fingers are all over the place!

And I think you're right about the guitar - it certainly looks like a regular steel string. I just checked and nylon strings with a ball on the end do exist so that's almost certainly what's he done.

Whatever it is, it sounds great!

User Info Menu

Glad to see Kenny getting the love here.

User Info Menu

been listening to blue lights for 2 days now. (both albums)

User Info Menu

Blue Bash with Jimmy Smith!!

DG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daveg
    Blue Bash with Jimmy Smith!!

DG
    Speaking of Kenny Burrell and Jimmy Smith, here's Russell Malone sharing some humbling lessons he learned from both masters.

User Info Menu

Burrell studied classical guitar for a while when he was young. He was a huge influence on everybody, including Wes. A very classy and intelligent guy, and a great teacher, as well as the very model of a jazz guitarist. Essential listening.

User Info Menu

Gotta say other than Midnight Blue, I gotta go with his work with Jimmy Smith. I love KB's playing! It's a great change of pace from Wes or Martino, and just sounds great. Oh yea and that record with Trane? Shoot.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell is about it for me as far as mainstream jazz guitar goes; Each to their own, etc. but without any disrespect to Messrs. Montgomery or Martino, I would rather listen to KB than either of them.

I can't argue with these quotes, albeit the sources for some of them are quite surprising: I would have thought that Benson would have gone with Wes and Metheny with Jim Hall....but Hendrix and Stevie Wonder - bit out of left field, maybe?

Press Quotes:
    ”Burrell is the grand master of jazz guitar.” - Dizzy Gillespie
    “There is no finer guitarist than Kenny Burrell.” - George Benson
    “Kenny Burrell that's the sound I'm looking for.” - Jimi Hendrix
    “Kenny Burrell is a great musician and his music has helped to make me what I am today.” - Stevie Wonder “Kenny Burrell is one of my favorite guitarists.” - Pat Metheny

User Info Menu

My Ship is one of my favourite tunes - check out this amazingly laid back Kenny Burrell version on flat top - wow how well does he know this tune?

Last edited by Groyniad; 10-20-2019 at 01:36 PM.

User Info Menu

The sound really sits in the fingers...

User Info Menu

I really love this tune, my favorite version is Jacky Terrasson and Cassandra Wilson's version.

User Info Menu

Many thanks for posting this, I am YouTubing since years but did not find this gem.

So there is no need for L5 and any special amp/reverb/PU to get a vintage soul moving jazz sound, I am very happy with this experience, this saves me a lot of time, and also gives me the solution, The only thing I need, I must practice and listen, then practice and listen until the result sounds like this video
    Last edited by Gabor; 10-21-2019 at 11:54 AM.

User Info Menu

interesting - the moments that you can hear its a flat-top acoustic guitar (not that often)

his phrasing is really wonderful here - and so representative of his thing

tiny little explosions of 16th notes ornamenting a melody and not taking away from a very gentle lyrical vibe

and his solo is so free - quite tricky form this tune has

but mark murphy gets the prize for me (so far) - this is serious jazz singing:

User Info Menu

Very, very nice! And Kenny's not even playing a "jazz guitar".

joelf Guest
    I like Kenny's version and Kenny generally. I wish he'd included Weill's intro (from Lady in the Dark) like Gil did with Miles and many other renditions. I just feel it's part of the piece and regret its absence.

Fine trio, cadenza, and sensitive treatment, though...