The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 127 of 127

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    To be honest if you know twenty tunes you are passionate about and play the **** out of that’s not a bad thing. Of course knowing more is better, but I think life is too short to play tunes you don’t feel an attraction to. At least for jazz money.
    It is a very good point.

And I should say - being half-amateur it is even more important to stick to what you love and do it. First of all it is almost impossible to keep up vast repertory without regular gigs, so you end up just playing what you like --- I guess there are much more tunes that I learnt and forgot)))
    And also - when you have irregular gigs - you really must learn to choos and reject... to play everything with everyone at any chance is good when you are 20 and entering the professional world... that's your school.
    When you are over 40 and know what you need and want to do it is important to be able to sort things out.

My friend says 'playing professional gig is a special skill, often unfortunately haveing more to do with socialization than music'.
    I - myself - noticed that there are musicians that like public performances as just a social activity, they like to be among people, to be a part of event, excitment and so on... but very often the performance itself becomes something secondary, and they tend to ignore mistakes, the level does not grow from performance to performance, because they do not rehearse it over and do not correct, they have to play more an dmore and when they play next gig they just do it the same way they did... on great advantage of jazz though is that you really can correct things right on the bandstand - but again you should be really into music to do that.
    Last edited by Jonah; 10-25-2019 at 04:21 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This subject has always been my achilles heal.

On the list there's only one song I like to play (Green Dolphin), and I detest having to ape Autumn Leaves, and most of those other tunes usually butchered at jam sessions. (...sometimes by guys like me)

I've always been drawn to the less popular songs for some reason, and that can be a handicap when it comes to playing out. My favorite Jobim tune to play is "Dindi", not a well received request at a jam.