The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    From the site GrahmBop linked to above, an article on the "Tenor Banjo to Rhythm Guitar Hypothesis."

A New Hypothesis About Freddie Green's Guitar Technique, by Albert Romaní
    Oh yeah I read this a few years back, changed my life. John P sometimes plays this way iirc, as does James Chirillo.

BTW I’m fairly sure FG is is not playing this way on the early Basie stuff. Check out Savory Collection vol2. FG is very audible and playing I think bigger chords. Also there is shit ton of absolutely burning Prez on that live recording.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

BTW I’m fairly sure FG is is not playing this way on the early Basie stuff. Check out Savory Collection vol2. FG is very audible and playing I think bigger chords. Also there is shit ton of absolutely burning Prez on that live recording.
    I think you're right, at least to my ears...sometimes I can't tell what I'm hearing on those records and what I'm "filling in."

He was definitely playing all six strings a lot of the time...

User Info Menu

Oh yeah I read this a few years back, changed my life. John P sometimes plays this way iirc, as does James Chirillo.

Freddie's style evolved. When he was with a smaller group (The Kansas City Seven) he had more room.

User Info Menu

What a Class Act! So impressed not only by John Pizzarelli's guitar playing,but his openness to music and people interested in it at all levels.
    This is what music is about and making connections with people. Unfortunately most rock musicians not only have much more limited vocabulary, but limited experience with connecting to with their actual audience members.

I'm so lucky to have discovered Jazz music at an early age. It has allowed me to continue to grow as a musician. Unfortunately with rare exceptions,it doesn't offer much monetary rewards. But the musical education and journey is so worthwhile and frustrating at times LOL!

User Info Menu

Of interest along the same line:

http://acousticguitar.com/guitar-les...hm-essentials/

The article in the magazine is also great!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I often use the term walking tenor to describe FG's playing, as opposed to walking bass, with his emphasis on the fourth string in counterpoint to the bass. Is walking tenor a useful term, do you think, or misleading?

User Info Menu

I love BF constant smile like someone just gave an appreciative child the best gift ever!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I often use the term walking tenor to describe FG's playing, as opposed to walking bass, with his emphasis on the fourth string in counterpoint to the bass. Is walking tenor a useful term, do you think, or misleading?
    Works for me :-)

User Info Menu

Then it's official!

User Info Menu

Works for me :-)
    Thus spake the Grand Wazoo, and well-said.

Not to be mistaken with the Great Gazoo, a different order of magnitude in the pop culture firmament.

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I just stopped in at my fave used records store, and picked up John P.'s "Jazz Guitar Virtuoso Video' on Mel Bay for only $1.99. Sweet deal!
    I have a VHS rip and wondered if any type of tab booklet accompanied the video. Did your copy come with any music notation?

Was that ever offered on DVD?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael1968
    Found it today on youtube. Absolutely great. If anybody is able to check the triads out quick I d be very happy. I m near measure 6 and not too sure about it.
    Have fun and enjoy.

Bill Freezle 2:00 :-)

User Info Menu

Gents

I enjoyed this thread very much and am playing the changes to the tune.

I am looking for tab for the LP and Mary Ford version of "The World is Waiting on the Sunrise"

Any help ?

Allen

User Info Menu

Sorry, can't help. I don't even know how to read tab.