Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

My guess is anything out of the fake book we are allowed to share here on the internet as we're not breaking any copyright laws, is that correct? What if I share "Summertime", by Warren Nunes, Warren passed away, I in the early 1990's. Is that breaking a copyright? All his books are now out of print, does that matter? If I'm breaking any guidelines here on this website, please remove the pdf. I'm not looking to get banned at all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any music that is not in the public domain is property owned by the composer and publisher. Summertime is a Gershwin tune, not written by Warren Nunes, and is copyright protected until 2030. We share lead sheets on the forum on occasion, but know that any widespread abuse will attract unwanted legal attention, as it should.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    Summertime is a Gershwin tune, not written by Warren Nunes, and is copyright protected until 2030. We share lead sheets on the forum on occasion, but know that any widespread abuse will attract unwanted legal attention, as it should.
    Great to know! For some reason, I thought this is a Canadian wesbsite so copyright laws of the US don't apply. I live and I learn! Here's a page from a Herb Ellis book on comping, not sure this is even copyrighted tho'! So does sharing material out of a fake book break copyright laws?
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

You can post a chord chart, it seems a chord progressions can't be copyrighted. Although, there have recently been lawsuits moving copyright law in the direction of being more strict, so nothing's written in stone. Melodies and lyrics though are definitely under copyright protection.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Under US copyright law, there’s an allowance for “fair use” of extracts in “transformative” works, such as criticism or analysis. I believe many of our discussions fall in that category. But the criteria are fuzzy, so I wouldn’t push the boundaries. Here’s an overview:
    What Is Fair Use? - Stanford