User Info Menu

This is generally considerd to be the original version, by Willie Cobbs (1961)

However, Bo Diddley did something similar six years prior, in 1955

Junior Wells in 1965. The riff and lyric have evolved a good bit since '55 and/or 1961.

John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers in 1967

Perhaps the best-known version, by the Allman Brothers in 1971

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A classic blues guitar riff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

despite the u-tubes pic of clapton ^, the mayall bluesbeakers version is actually with/sung/guitared by the great peter green...from a hard road album...its credited to cobbs

good stuff...

cheers

User Info Menu

My sense of this tune is shaped by the Allman Bros version but what I'm doing here is not exactly that. I don't know what I'm doing here!
    Not trying to play along with a recording. Trying to find a way to play this riff that suits me. This is okay, I think, but it's not where I want it to be. Trouble is, I'm not sure where I want it to be. I just know this is not quite it. But it's now awful either.

This is 168 bpm. Could be faster but until I iron out the wrinkles I don't want to speed it up.

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola