Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    For a gig i will need a few Italian tunes which are available in Lead Sheet format and can serve as vehicles for improvisation the same way jazz standards do.

    A few come to mind:
    - Estate
    - Speak Softly Love
    - O Sole Mio
    - Volare
    - Senza Fine

    if anyone can think of additional familiar italian-originated tunes i'd be thankful

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu


  4. #3

    User Info Menu


  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quando, Quando, Quando

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Check out Dean Martin/Italian Love Songs. Lots of great tunes that really swing:

    Arrivederci Roma
    Bella Bella Bambina
    Buona Sera
    Come Back To Sorrento
    From The Bottom Of My Heart (Dammi, Dammi, Dammi)
    Giuggiola
    I Have But One Heart (O Marenariello)
    In Napoli
    Innamorata (Sweetheart)
    Just Say I Love Her (Dicitencello Vuie)
    Luna Mezzo Mare
    My Heart Reminds Me
    Non Dimenticar (Don't Forget)
    Oh Marie
    On An Evening In Roma (Sott'er Cielo De Roma)
    Pardon (Perdoname)
    Return To Me (Ritorna-Me)
    Santa Lucia
    Sogni D'Oro
    Take Me In Your Arms
    That's Amore
    The Man Who Plays The Mandolino (Guaglione)
    There's No Tomorrow (O Sole Mio)
    Tu Sei Bella Signorina
    Vieni Su (Say You Love Me, Too)
    Volare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu)
    Write Me From Naples
    You're Breaking My Heart (Mattinata)

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Not an Italian song per se but in a set of Italian tunes, this would certainly work.




  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Check out Dean Martin/Italian Love Songs. Lots of great tunes that really swing:

    Arrivederci Roma
    Bella Bella Bambina
    Buona Sera
    Come Back To Sorrento
    From The Bottom Of My Heart (Dammi, Dammi, Dammi)
    Giuggiola
    I Have But One Heart (O Marenariello)
    In Napoli
    Innamorata (Sweetheart)
    Just Say I Love Her (Dicitencello Vuie)
    Luna Mezzo Mare
    My Heart Reminds Me
    Non Dimenticar (Don't Forget)
    Oh Marie
    On An Evening In Roma (Sott'er Cielo De Roma)
    Pardon (Perdoname)
    Return To Me (Ritorna-Me)
    Santa Lucia
    Sogni D'Oro
    Take Me In Your Arms
    That's Amore
    The Man Who Plays The Mandolino (Guaglione)
    There's No Tomorrow (O Sole Mio)
    Tu Sei Bella Signorina
    Vieni Su (Say You Love Me, Too)
    Volare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu)
    Write Me From Naples
    You're Breaking My Heart (Mattinata)
    Thanks so much - this will give me a lot to work on .... :-)

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Recado Bossa Nova
    Roman Guitar!

  10. #9
    Check-out Alessio Menconi's "Anema e Jazz":



    He's phenomenal and hands-down my favorite "Modern" player. Don't stop with this album though, he does everything from "Traditional" jazz (very Wes-like) to "Fusion".

    Although not too "Jazzy":


  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Here is another great one:

    Ti guardero' nel cuore.



    Warmly recommended.

    Cheers.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Here is another great one:

    Ti guardero' nel cuore.

    Warmly recommended.

    Cheers.
    Thanks, great tune i didn't know it's originally an italian composition.

    The gig happened last sunday so it will be too late for that, but i'm sure to know that it's Italian will help for future gigs too ....

  13. #12

    User Info Menu


  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Check out New Jersey Guitar Mafia

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Italian Jazz by Paolo Conte.

    Il treno va:


    Max:


    I giardini pensili hanno fatto il loro tempo:

  16. #15

    User Info Menu


  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Here is another great one:

    Ti guardero' nel cuore.

    Warmly recommended.

    Cheers.
    I grew up with this song. It was one of my favorites. I was too young to realize it was also a Grammy winner from an Italian documentary film. Much less composed by an Italian songwriter for film Riz Ortolani, who also was once a member in a well known Italian jazz band. Thanks for that Fred Archtop!

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Thanks, great tune i didn't know it's originally an italian composition.

    The gig happened last sunday so it will be too late for that, but i'm sure to know that it's Italian will help for future gigs too ....
    I know it was a while ago, but I hope the gig went well JazzNote!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I grew up with this song. It was one of my favorites. I was too young to realize it was also a Grammy winner from an Italian documentary film. Much less composed by an Italian songwriter for film Riz Ortolani, who also was once a member in a well known Italian jazz band. Thanks for that Fred Archtop!
    As did I, along with so many others. Sadly, songs like this just aren't written anymore and if they are, they're few and far between.

    What is it that draws Italians and those of us of Italian decent, to guitar and in particular, jazz guitar?