The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did a brief search and don't think I ever posted this Ralph Towner resource which contains his Improvisation and Performance Technique book as well as a bunch of scores by "Kalle".

Disclaimer:

The files listed on this page were originally supplied via the now inactive Ralph Towner Yahoo Group as well as other sources. I am under the impression that these are completely free to distribute. If any copyright holders informs me to the contrary, the relevant files will be taken down. Simply send an email to me at jw@ this domain name.
    Ralph Towner Scores & Methods | JonathanWayne.com

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks. I also recommend checking out the two Towner books, Guitar Works Vol. 1 and 2. No "Icarus," but a lot of great tunes.

Volume 1 is at GSP: Solo Guitar Works, Volume 1

Volume 2 is available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ralph-Towner-...dp/0971727813/

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRoberts
    Thanks. I also recommend checking out the two Towner books, Guitar Works Vol. 1 and 2. No "Icarus," but a lot of great tunes.

Volume 1 is at GSP: Solo Guitar Works, Volume 1

Volume 2 is available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ralph-Towner-...dp/0971727813/
    Thanks, I did have Amazon links to those books on that page. Double checked and there is one copy available for vol 1 for $543! I don't understand someone thinking they can get even 1/10 that amount. I am going to add the GSP link to the page.

User Info Menu

There is also a number of full charts in PDF form available to purchase at Ralph Towner’s website for
    reasonable prices.

User Info Menu

If you're interested in Ralph's compositional process, and a look at some pieces with analysis of style and compositional exercises, Gil Goldstein's beyond excellent Jazz Composer's Companion is a collection of contributions including Ralph Towner. It's also got frank and honest enlightening commentary by them on their thought process when composing. Other contributors include Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, Mike Gibbs, Horace Silver, Bill Evans, Steve Swallow and Carla Bley. Recently when I saw Steve and Swallow, I asked them about that book and they both spoke glowingly about it. Carla said she keeps the book on the shelf and it comes down at times when she's blocked; it's always filled with such good ideas. Oh yeah, it's got a bunch of stuff from Bill Evans, who serves as a stylistic and philosophical north star for the generation of composers within the book including Ralph, who cites Bill outright as a great influence.
    The book is long out of print (why?!) and is an invaluable resource for the serious jazz composer or improvisor. The Ralph Towner compositions contained within are used as launching points from which the student can study such devices as Pedal Points, Slash Chords, Extensions, etc...
    For the curious...

David

Jazz Composers Companion

User Info Menu

This is a gold mine! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray
    There is also a number of full charts in PDF form available to purchase at Ralph Towner’s website for
    reasonable prices.
    Thanks! I'll add his site at the top of the resource list.