The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Always been a fan of the Allman Brothers Band. Put on their Fillmore Live record yesterday after I hadn't listened to them for quite a while. Got me to thinking:

Would you consider above tune as being jazz (in the widest sense of the term probably)? Just disregard the fat overdriven guitar sound and everything else that you'd consider as typical rock. I could imagine the tune being played by the Miles Davis Quintet and it would work.... Heretic?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Would you consider above tune as being jazz (in the widest sense of the term probably)?
    No, but it's a great song and they were a great band. One of my favorites.
    Last edited by morroben; 06-16-2019 at 08:24 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd go with jazz influenced.

My favorite Dickey Betts jazz influenced piece. Definitely a little nod to Mahavishnu in the breakdown section:

User Info Menu

Yes, I could stretch the term jazz to include both those tracks. Different clothes and hair cuts, but they're not far removed from So What. I believe they we're listening a lot to Miles and Trane for inspiration.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

With a nod to Wes:

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I remember Dickie Betts stating in an interview for GP that he listened to Brahms' cello suites for inspiration. The ABB's roots were deep, and wide.

User Info Menu

thankfully that eclectic streak was later given a kickstart by the great derek trucks!!! a devout music listener...he brought in allsorts of influences...plays slide guitar ragas...primordial blues..choral music

he was bred to carry them further!!!

cheers

ps warren haynes was eclectic as well...groundbreaking aside, as great a pairing as the original betts-duane combo

User Info Menu

The Allman Brothers “Live at the Fillmore” is arguably the greatest live album recorded on vinyl. Duane Allman and Dickey’s interplay, and all the fill in riffs and searing solos were just incredible.

Cover bands still continue to play this music nearly 50 year later. I wore out 2 albums and the frets on my Les Paul learning every solo....my favorite band of the time.

User Info Menu

Just this week I was teaching two of my students how to play Melissa - chords and lead parts.

User Info Menu

I am not proud of this but for very brief period in my life i was in a situation where i aquired a pirated live recording of the Allman Bros.That show this song was the absolute best.The dynamics,tempo, the tone of the guitar was cleaner something if you can imagine took it to new level! I literally wore it out.Stupid me maybe a hand full of people heard it what a cheat to the band and the fans.It was magical.I still feel horrible 30 plus years later.

User Info Menu

I arranged this for my former quintet a few years back. It worked great with sax-trumpet-guitar-bass-drums. It's a big band tune in its heart, though, man- in your mind just hear Duke's band blasting out this thing. Jeez! We usually used it as a set closer. Great danged song.

User Info Menu

I've noticed a connection between Dickie Betts and John Scofield: both often play three notes on one string, articulated with a pull off and slide, or slide and pull off. Maybe it's a country blues technique common to many.

User Info Menu

Thanks for everybody's comments and opinions. DannyW.: thanks for posting that - that's a fantastic version!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    I am not proud of this but for very brief period in my life i was in a situation where i aquired a pirated live recording of the Allman Bros.That show this song was the absolute best.The dynamics,tempo, the tone of the guitar was cleaner something if you can imagine took it to new level! I literally wore it out.Stupid me maybe a hand full of people heard it what a cheat to the band and the fans.It was magical.I still feel horrible 30 plus years later.
    Dirk - request for a thumbs down icon for exceptional circumstances only.

User Info Menu

My conscience is tormenting me as we speak please take my comment down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    My conscience is tormenting me as we speak please take my comment down.
    mine too - you've suffered enough.

User Info Menu

Thanks dot75 fellin better.Diggin J.P.This vid of him just lifts my spirits.As does In memory of E.R.