The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Let me tap into the collective JGO musical brain: My daughter is getting married this fall and I'm looking for great selections for the father-daughter dance. What are your recommendations?

I'd kind of like it to be a standard of some sort, but suggest what you will.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

sweet lorraine?

User Info Menu

oh and congrats!

User Info Menu

Bob Dylan's "Forever Young"-- the slow version.

I'm crying already thinking about it.

Congratulations!

User Info Menu

I sang Daddys Little Girl at my daughters wedding. After that we danced to something else I don't remember what it was.

I had it arranged with the leader of the band to take over if I turned into a pile of mush. I got through it just barely.

It was kept a secret no one knew it was going to happen except the band leader and I.

My daughter later said. " I knew you were going to pull something ".

User Info Menu

"Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof. Nice waltz, not to mention the lyrics.

User Info Menu

More requirements: I'd kind of like the selection to be something hip and clever. Like, "oh, I never thought about those lyrics being about a daughter, but it's perfect!"

In other words, I'm not looking for the corny, obvious stuff, and I don't want to go with a rock ballad of any sort.

And then I need a version that's timeless -- like a Tony Bennett rendition (and not with Gaga).

User Info Menu

The Way You Look Tonight. My wife and I Love the Tony Bennet version over the Sinatra.

Some day, when I'm awfully low
    When the world is cold
    I will feel a glow just thinking of you
    And the way you look tonight
    Yes, you're lovely, with your smile so warm
    And your cheeks so soft
    There is nothing for me but to love you
    And the way you look tonight
    With each word your tenderness grows
    Tearin' my fear apart
    And that laugh, wrinkles your nose
    Touches my foolish heart
    Lovely, never, never change
    Keep that breathless charm
    Won't you please arrange it?
    'Cause I love you
    A-just the way you look tonight
    And that laugh that wrinkles your nose
    It touches my foolish heart
    Lovely, don't you ever change
    Keep that breathless charm
    Won't you please arrange it?
    'Cause I love you
    A-just the way you look tonight
    Mm, mm, mm, mm,
    Just the way you look tonight

User Info Menu

"The Way You Look Tonight. My wife and I Love the Tony Bennet version over the Sinatra."

Generally I like Tony Bennet's approach better than the Francis treatment.

Merv was pretty good too (when Herb Ellis was on the bandstand)
    And Mike Douglas was no slouch either.
    And Walter Skees, what a set of pipes that guy had!

IMHO Frank was over-produced much of the time.

User Info Menu

Awwww!

I don't think my daughtie will be getting married for at least another 20 years--she just turned 6 months old!

But, I heard from the daycare that she gets really excited when she hears music--yeah, that's right

Why don't you pick the song that you two used to listen to when she was a little bebe?

Who says you can't dance to a lullaby?

Congrats, man!

If that fails, how bout this:

User Info Menu

I like the suggestion of Sunrise Sunset, which I've heard sung at weddings as the bride and groom stood at the altar.

It's hard to think of a song about familial, rather than romantic, love. Certainly Sunrise Sunset is one.

Another song that might work is My Girl. The lyric is not necessarily about romantic love. And, the title is perfect.

Off topic:

This topic got me thinking about tunes about dancing. My all time favorite is Save the Last Dance For Me. The lyric speaks for itself, but the story behind it is compelling. It was written by Doc Pomus, who was wheelchair bound when he married. As he sat on the sidelines at his wedding while his wife danced with the guests, he wrote that song, with this hook.

So don't forget who's taking you home
    Or in who's arms you're gonna be
    So darling save the last dance for me

User Info Menu

My daughter and I danced at her wedding to “I’m Old Fashioned.” Not as common but a great song.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

"I don't want to go with a rock ballad of any sort"

User Info Menu

A friend of mine who is seriously into 50s, 60s rock n'roll had the band play Steam's Hey Hey Goodbye,
    it was very funny.

I'm a fan of "They Can't Take That Away FromMe"

Its a wonderful celebration, enjoy the day!

User Info Menu

“You Can Close Your Eyes” by James Taylor is a good choice. My daughter and I danced to it at her wedding.