The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Tried searching for this, but came out empty handed; I'm practicing fast dominant cycles, but I've only found one popular tune with a dominant chord change every two beats (Jordu - great song of course). Does anyone know any alternatives? Thank you in advance!

JGG

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hank Mobleys ' Funk in the deep freeze ' has something sinmilar and is a greta tune .

Thelonious Monks' ' Skippy ' is constructed entirely from fast cycling dominants . Good luck .

User Info Menu

'Yesterdays' at a quick tempo
    Lulu's Back in Town
    Nice Work if You Can Get It

User Info Menu

Ain't She Sweet popped into my mind.

Estamos Ai.

User Info Menu

Sweet Lorraine

User Info Menu

Conception by George Shearing...

User Info Menu

Some of Monk’s tunes have lots of dominants e.g. Ask Me Now.

Sorry for the late reply (life got in the way); great suggestions... that Hank Mobley tune is groovy as heck and 'skippy' made me laugh out loud (in a good way). Sgcim takes the cake however. For some reason it didn't occur to me to crank up the tempo to an easy tune like 'Yesterdays' (with slightly longer cycles) and voila... quarter notes start feeling like eights (and all the appropriate licks apply). Thanks.

JGG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGG
    Sorry for the late reply (life got in the way); great suggestions... that Hank Mobley tune is groovy as heck and 'skippy' made me laugh out loud (in a good way). Sgcim takes the cake however. For some reason it didn't occur to me to crank up the tempo to an easy tune like 'Yesterdays' (with slightly longer cycles) and voila... quarter notes start feeling like eights (and all the appropriate licks apply). Thanks.

JGG
    You may wish to listen to Tal Falow and his take on Yesterdays. It gave me many ideas, most that I'm still trying to pull-off at a tempo that isn't close to what Tal is doing.

User Info Menu

Nice Work if You Can Get It
    The bridge of Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams