The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I was listening to a Lewis Steward download and came across his version of the song "Far Wes." I also looked up Wes Montgomery's version. What is it about this song that it seems to have captured my imagination. And that little hook in the melody is just infectious to me. I can remember it, no problem.

Both versions were so laid back, and full of 2-5-1s and motion. There were not super fast so if you are not a fast player, you could probably have some fun with it. It has made my top ten list of favorite Jazz songs (at least for the moment

Would anyone care to comment on it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh - you hit on one of my favourites there - love that tune to death! Encountered it when I was just starting out trying to play jazz and learned most of it but never finished (shame on me). There's a lot to learn in that tune.

What is it about it? Not entirely sure but it just floooows so smoothly and laid back.

User Info Menu

Yes it’s a great tune, nice medium tempo groove. Here’s Louis Stewart’s very tasty version:

User Info Menu

And here's Emily Remler's version.

User Info Menu

Well that settles it, learning it today.

User Info Menu

That was the first Wes recording I owned, and it is still my favorite. I have always assumed not listing "Smokin' At the Half Note" as my go-to would be frowned upon. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

and, yeah - a GREAT tune! Both "Far Wes" and "Leila" haunt me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    ‘East to Wes’ is a nice tune, but it’s by Emily Remler, it’s not the same tune as ‘Far Wes’ which was written by Wes Montgomery.

User Info Menu

What really gets me about it is that it has seduced a guy like me who has always been interested in more uptempo tunes. This soloing on this song seems to allow for so much expression, as though it is a conversation with a pleasant person who smiles a lot.

Thanks for weighing in folks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yes it’s a great tune, nice medium tempo groove. Here’s Louis Stewart’s very tasty version:

Great find! That's the one I was talking about. (I gotta learn how to spell that man's name -LOUIS not Lewis!).

Louis throws some fast lines in yet for me, still captures the laid-back nature of the song. His lines are like gentle prodding, before falling back to the mid-tempo mood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell

That is a great tune as well. What phrasing!

User Info Menu

I've seen that album before (Far Wes), and heard cuts in passing.

Is it worth purchasing?

I do love Harold Land as well.

I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard the title cut.

I'm hooked!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87

Is it worth purchasing?

I'm hooked!
    I only discovered the song after listening to Louis Stewart's version and doing some research. So, I don't know about the other songs (plus our tastes might be different).

It is both a good thing and a bad thing for me when I find these songs from the past. I don't have a lot of listening time and finding these gems keeps me from moving forward. God knows how many old songs are out there that I have not yet discovered. And when I do discover them, they are essentially "new" to me - as new as any modern song.

Yes, it cuts both ways...

User Info Menu

‘East to Wes’ is a nice tune, but it’s by Emily Remler, it’s not the same tune as ‘Far Wes’ which was written by Wes Montgomery.
    Note to self: Do not post in an online forum before finishing morning coffee.

User Info Menu

Love that tune. Here's my rendition on my 2012 CD, "Pedal Steel Jazz":

User Info Menu

yay, you're back.

Jasco, have you ever played one of these:

I think they're called palm leaves?

User Info Menu

yay, you're back.

Jasco, have you ever played one of these:

I think they're called palm leaves?
    I believe they're usually called "palm pedals" or "palm levers". No, I've never tried one of those because I'm accustomed to having 8 pedals and at least 7 or 8 knee levers, so this would be cutting way back on what I'm used to having at my disposal for harmonic coloring. It works well for country-flavored material, though, like this Neil Young tune, and the player is doing a great job at it.

User Info Menu

glad you're posting again.

User Info Menu

glad you're posting again.
    Aren't you kind? It's nice to be missed! Thanks for your interest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Love that tune. Here's my rendition on my 2012 CD, "Pedal Steel Jazz":
    love the vibrato and chords you get on that!

User Info Menu

Is it worth purchasing?

I'm hooked!
    Absolutely (worth purchasing)!

jasaco - that's a great rendition - love it! Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

ive always liked this tune well before I realised it was Wes (or who Wes was)

When I was discovering jazz (outside of gypsy jazz) a friend bought me a jazz guitar compilation CD (remember CDs?!) and I put it in my car and swiftly lost the case along with the track-listing.

Over the years as i've listened to more and more Jazz I've slowly been ticking off artists from that CD and finding out who they all were.

I was actually surprised this is wes when I finally realised. The feel of the band and cleanness of the recording always made me feel it was a newer recording.

User Info Menu

I'm embarrassed to admit I had no idea who Louis Stewart was. He's damn good. Man, I'm now gonna have to find some time to listen to him now...geesh!

User Info Menu

oooouuuu-eeeeeeeeee

You have to listen to more Louis Stewart.

He did some interesting stuff with George Shearing and NOP

He also played some gigs with Mundie Mundell Lowe

Very swanging player

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I'm embarrassed to admit I had no idea who Louis Stewart was. He's damn good. Man, I'm now gonna have to find some time to listen to him now...geesh!
    He was a world-class player but opted to remain in his native Ireland with his family, that is probably why he is not as well known as he should be.