The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have an obsession with playing the verse of Jaco correctly. Various videos of other players, charts... all seem a bit off. The rare videos of Metheny playing it himself are very old, blistering fast and, of course, the camera operator chooses to focus on something other than Metheny's left hand at key moments, though glimpses show him playing some pretty stretched out chord shapes (for a guy who says he has small hands I don't know how he does it). If anyone has a video, chart, tab... anything I would appreciate it. There are many covers of this on YouTube, but everyone plays simple single or two note interpretations of the verse - I just think what Metheny does with chords/triads on this is so cool.

Edit, in the mean time I think I am about 90% there.
    Last edited by deke; 04-11-2019 at 09:23 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think that has errors in it, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I think that has errors in it, plain and simple.
    I edited out the "chart" and just asked a more general question.

User Info Menu

"Verse"?

Seriously? It has a clear intro, verse, a chorus...

Or go here at time 0:36 -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deke
    Seriously? It has a clear intro, verse, a chorus...

Or go here at time 0:36 -
    Too bad that seems to be the only video of this tune. Rodby killed it, and NOT in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Too bad that seems to be the only video of this tune. Rodby killed it, and NOT in a good way.
    I know... Sigh. I thought there was another video version that was somewhat better. Also, playing at this super hyper tempo doesn't make sense to me.