Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

what category of Music style is This Rag time or Jump. I would like to hear it done with 2 guitars in place of the horns.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This Jelly Roll is ragtime, and jump is more associated as a blues style, but riffing horns are a big part of the tradition. The groove is not unlike piano boogie woogie, but with a whole group. Brian Setzer, Roomful of Blues is modern jump blues revival stuff.

Ragtime guitarist Lasse Johansson.

User Info Menu

That's New Orleans jazz, now often called trad jazz. It's not ragtime, not the later "jump blues". It was exported to other parts of the country, especially Chicago, but it came from New Orleans. It's still played there.

User Info Menu

Trad jazz is also code for dixieland style.

User Info Menu

Dixieland is the white trad jazz revival following WW II. Jelly Roll Morton is the real deal, even if you shouldn’t believe his claim that he invented Jazz.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The Original Dixieland Jass Band recordings of 1917 predate WWII by a few decades. Dixieland revival was a...revival.

User Info Menu

True that, but the music wasn't called "Dixieland" back then, it was called "Jass" AFAIK the term "Dixieland" was later used to set the traditional apart from more modern styles, in particular Bebop (probably by the "moldy figs" of the 40's, but I could be wrong).

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ragtime is not jazz.... Ragtime doesn't swing, for one - it's straight.

Scott Joplin hated jazz....

User Info Menu

Also well worth checking out are the Alan Lomax library of congress recordings of Jelly Roll reminiscing on the early days of Jass and the American South in the early 20th c. - I think it's on the interwebz somewhere .

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Funky Butt