The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Hey Everyone!

sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster!

I was wondering if it is considered wrong to jam on ALS. I'm very partial to resolution, and want to make it a part of my combo's setlist. Other than the obvious issue of living up to the greats, it seems to be taboo to cover parts of that record.

thoughts?

p.s. i'm sorry if this is a dumb question! still trying to learn the in's and out's!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

These guys did it, I don’t see why you shouldn’t!

User Info Menu

The history of Jazz is taking a standard and turning it into a platform for improvisation - in a sense, to make it your own. I think if you want to play some Coltrane and use that as a launching pad for your own headspace, you are well within your rights as a jazz musician. Me? I can't touch anything by Coltrane, so I just dabble at the fringes, but if you have the imagination and creativity to take that song somewhere special, go for it. One musician's sacrilege is another musician's celebration.

User Info Menu

I would think he would be appreciative.

User Info Menu

Sacriligious? It's been a centrepiece of my religion for a long time. The melody for Resolution always gets me, and the whole section is probably my favourite part of the opus. I will admit to doing some possibly sacrilegious things to this part though... think of Dick Dale playing that melody. Probably no worse than what the Guys in White did to it though :) I saw them when they took it on the road.

Firmly with the others. Have at it!

User Info Menu

thank you guys so much for the feedback!

It's always fantastic to come into a healthy community of like minded individuals!

User Info Menu

I've played Resolution a few times. To be honest, I always feel it lacks something.

User Info Menu

People get terribly precious about Coltrane and A Love Supreme . It's a piece of music . Play it as a polka . It won't kill anyone .

User Info Menu

The thousands of jazz fans attending your gigs will be upset.

But go ahead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I've played Resolution a few times. To be honest, I always feel it lacks something.
    it’s not the same with no trane, just a replacement bus service.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    it’s not the same with no trane, just a replacement bus service.
    Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    These guys did it, I don’t see why you shouldn’t!

Yeah, and join those two apostates in hell!

User Info Menu

I've fantasized about playing pro baseball and having Resolution as my walk up music.

User Info Menu

I play blues and rock with some non-jazz musicians and one of the instrumental songs I have shown them is Equinox.

The changes are basic and the pace is 'easy' and I have found this to be a nice jam session song. The only complaint I get is that we do the song in Db. (they wish it was in E or A). Often they tease me that they don't play that dang jazz music, and I have to remind them; hey, you just did, that song was written by John Coltrane; one of the masters of jazz!

PS: most of the time these are acrostic guitar jams. My inspiration for playing the song came from this:

User Info Menu

Seems to lack something when I play it too. Not only trane, but there's a certain tynerism, jonesology and garrisonism missing as well. Pretty tough to overcome.

User Info Menu

It is not something I play with any regularity, and I have never had anyone request it. I can think of many other things I would rather hear so clearly not playing the whole thing adds up to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sjajazz
    Hey Everyone!
    I was wondering if it is considered wrong to jam on ALS. I'm very partial to resolution, and want to make it a part of my combo's setlist. Other than the obvious issue of living up to the greats, it seems to be taboo to cover parts of that record.
    I'm not sure it's taboo, there's also a Branford Marsalis Quartet recording of A Love Supreme. I'm not sure there is a conscious reason no one plays these tunes, like, no one plays "Flamenco Sketches" or a large portion of Duke Ellington's compositions either, and, it's ok. Most of the "written" music on "A Love Supreme" is relatively simple and as such, the vibe and interaction are a lot more important, and it's not great jam session material kinda for that reason. I personally can't imagine this tune sounding good without the rhythm section essentially playing similarly to garrison/tyner/jones, and that's a hell of a cross to bear.

User Info Menu

The first time I heard Resolution it was this version. Didn't strike me as sagrilegious then and it doesn't now.

User Info Menu

You could ask ... The Church of John Coltrane!

Yes, it's for real: Saint John Coltrane African Orthodox Church – San Francisco, California
    - Atlas Obscura

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sjajazz
    Hey Everyone!

sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster!

thoughts?

p.s. i'm sorry if this is a dumb question! still trying to learn the in's and out's!!

Coltrane was a genius, one of my biggest heroes, I have incredible respect for him.
    But I think if someone wants to play his music, why not? Just do it!

Someone saying one shouldn't be allowed to play Coltranes music is just snobbery nonsense.
    Last edited by greveost; 04-07-2019 at 04:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Nothing is true.
    Everything is permitted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    You could ask ... The Church of John Coltrane!

Yes, it's for real: Saint John Coltrane African Orthodox Church – San Francisco, California
    - Atlas Obscura

Dang it, that was going to be my exact post, right down to the link. :0

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I play blues and rock with some non-jazz musicians and one of the instrumental songs I have shown them is Equinox.

The changes are basic and the pace is 'easy' and I have found this to be a nice jam session song. The only complaint I get is that we do the song in Db. (they wish it was in E or A). Often they tease me that they don't play that dang jazz music, and I have to remind them; hey, you just did, that song was written by John Coltrane; one of the masters of jazz!

PS: most of the time these are acrostic guitar jams.
    This would be even more realistic if they complained it wasn't in C#.

User Info Menu

This thread brings to mind the often disparaged and even bullied Kenny G.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    Nothing is true.
    Everything is permitted.
    "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law?"