The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I've heard the tune to the M*A*S*H theme was based on "Autumn Leaves" so I made a go of playing them. The match was not perfect, but it was still a fun little project. Also, the whole tune is not played for the show, but the theme was somewhat truncated. This didn't work as well as "Star Trek/Out of Nowhere" but it still worked better than I expected.

The amp I'm using is new. I enjoyed the Monoprice 5 watt tube amp so much, I ordered their 15 watt amp with the 12" speaker. Stock 3 12AX7 and 2 EL84. I replaced the first AX7 with an AY7, and the second with an AT7 to tame the overdrive, and now I really enjoy this amp. I need to do a NAD here, I've had it for maybe 3 weeks. Here I recorded from the "low" power setting with a Shure SM57.

Last edited by lawson-stone; 01-27-2019 at 02:21 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice MASH-up

Nicely done Lawson!

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Nice MASH-up
    LMAO!!!!

User Info Menu

I have to admit that when I practice Autumn Leaves, all I really hear is Suicide is Painless. I find myself whistling it as I practice comping.

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention that the amp I'm using is new. I enjoyed the Monoprice 5 watt tube amp so much, I ordered their 15 watt amp with the 12" speaker. Stock 3 12AX7 and 2 EL84. I replaced the first AX7 with an AY7, and the second with an AT7 to tame the overdrive, and now I really enjoy this amp. I need to do a NAD here, I've had it for maybe 3 weeks. Here I recorded from the "low" power setting with a Shure SM57.

User Info Menu

Well done, Sir, well done!

User Info Menu

Nice! We played Suicide is Painless in our school band recital when I was in 6th grade. I played saxophone at the time. My solo piece was Eye of the Tiger. Come to think of it, all our songs had some tv/movie connection.

User Info Menu

Hi Lawson,

Enjoyed your chord melody solo medley of Mash and Autumn Leaves.

Especially Autumn Leaves - very nice indeed!

Thank you for posting your video for us all to enjoy.

User Info Menu

cool! and interesting. nice playing too

User Info Menu

i had no idea it had lyrics, cool! those are some lyrics i can get behind!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    i had no idea it had lyrics, cool! those are some lyrics i can get behind!
    the story on the lyrics is that the demand was that the title would be "Suicide is Painless" and the lyrics must be utterly and completely nonsensical. it was intended to be the dumbest song ever written! The guy who took it on couldn't get the job done but he had a teen aged son who wrote it in minutes.

User Info Menu

Bill Evans had "Suicide is Painless" in his set for many years-- modulated up a half step every chorus!

Paul Desmond also played it, as I'm sure many know--there's a version on "Pure Desmond."

Nice playing here, man, and fun idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    the story on the lyrics is that the demand was that the title would be "Suicide is Painless" and the lyrics must be utterly and completely nonsensical. it was intended to be the dumbest song ever written! The guy who took it on couldn't get the job done but he had a teen aged son who wrote it in minutes.
    I always thought it was a reference the scene in the movie with the mock suicide/mercy-killing of Painless the dentist.

There's a great version by Jimmy Smith (with George Benson, Stanley Turrentine, Grady Tate, and Ron Carter).

The changes aren't quite the same as Autumn Leaves, but it kind works.

John