Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi jazz fans,

I'm searching for few more fun tunes that are similar to the likes of On The Sunny Side of the Street or Pick Yourself Up...maybe Blues Skies hits this song theme. Tunes that are more about positive outlook on life rather than romance. I suppose Blue Skies is a nod to love, but not too overtly. And probably something that can swing. I suppose someone can swing Over The Rainbow or What a Wonderful World but these seem more for expressiveness...not that there's anything wrong with that. When You Wish Upon a Star or Pure Imagination are in this vein, too, and could probably be played with a light, snappy rhythm (shrug)...

Others tunes that are similar:

Give Me The Simple Life (June Christy)
    It's A Good Day (Peggy Lee)
    Accentuate The Positives (Johnny Mercer)
    Life Is So Peculiar (Louis Armstrong/Louis Jordan)...more about wonderment, but it feels like it fits what I'm looking for.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Get Happy" and "I've Got The World On A String" by Harold Arlen & Ted Koehler.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Build bridges, not walls.

peggy lee

i love being here with you, my bands closing tune
    robbro

User Info Menu

Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

This place will give you a list of all the tunes you can check on.

Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals Contents

User Info Menu

Norman

Great postings! I keep forgetting about these other classics like High Hopes, Smile, In A Mellow Tone, etc. It seems like Sinatra has the market on some of these tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    That's a fun version of Four! Lambert, Hendricks & Ross...yet another corner of jazz I have to check out. This reminds me of a Django-style band (Hot Club of KC) features the vocal version of Tickle Toe once in awhile.

User Info Menu

The John Pizzarelli catalog has an abundance of upbeat positive songs. Here is a sadly underrated guitarist who swings hard and keeps the music happy.
    I play a lot of atonal jazz.. . . . . . . .but not on purpose.
    Sundogg.

User Info Menu

Speaking of John Pizzarelli, here he is doing "Route 66". It's not a philosophy of life but it's definitely a feel-good song that seems to appeal to everyone. Hard to play this and not smile.

Frank Vignola

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Speaking of John Pizzarelli, here he is doing "Route 66". It's not a philosophy of life but it's definitely a feel-good song that seems to appeal to everyone. Hard to play this and not smile.

Of course, Pizzarelli is great and chooses songs that fit his warm/witty personality.

By the way, this site is pretty deep...thanks, cosmic gumbo!

Jazz Standards Introduction: Origins, History, Theory, Musicology, Biographies, and Books

Lots of great info behind individual classics!

User Info Menu

Tal Farlow recorded Strike Up The Band. '

Maybe, Let's Get Away From It All or Take the A Train as lyrics that aren't completely romantic and are positive in tone.

User Info Menu

Put On a Happy Face
    On a Clear Day
    Back Home in Indiana
    Cabaret (It can swing)
    Pennies From Heaven
    When You're Smilin'
    When the Saints Go Marchin' In
    All God's Chillun Got Rhythm
    My Favorite Things
    Back in your own Backyard
    Chicago
    Look For the Silver Lining
    'Taint What you do, it's the way that you do it
    Singin' in the rain
    Let me off Uptown
    Last edited by sgcim; 01-25-2019 at 03:37 AM.