User Info Menu

I've been playing around with the connection between "Out of Nowhere" and the theme to Star Trek, and decided to give it a run. This is the Star Trek Theme, then the head to "Out of Nowhere" followed by 2 choruses of Jimmy Raney's solo on OON from the Aebersold Vol. 20 set. The backing track is from the "Real Book" backing track set. They are generally very nice.

This has possibilities, I think! As a way to introduce an all-but-lost (to most) jazz standard, connecting it with a universally recognized TV theme could be a nice thing to do in a performance.

BTW the amp here is my new 5 watt Monoprice tube amp played through a 12" Quilter speaker cabinet, mic'd with a Shure SM57.

Many mistakes here... I am not worthy of doing this, but I do it because it's worth doing.

Last edited by lawson-stone; 01-07-2019 at 11:41 PM.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That was clever, Lawson! They do flow together very well and nicely played... What gave you the idea?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    That was clever, Lawson! They do flow together very well and nicely played... What gave you the idea?
    I read somewhere that the Star Trek theme was based on the changes for "Out of Nowhere" and so every time I played OON I kept hearing fragments of the Star Trek theme. Finally I got so annoyed about it I decided to give it a go.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Very nice! You make that 175 sound as good as it looks!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Very nice! You make that 175 sound as good as it looks!
    Thank you sir. Coming from you, that is very gratifying to hear. I think I have gotten more mileage out of that Jimmy Raney solo than I ever imagined! I've used it for side-by-side guitar comparisons, amp demos, and now this. Those Raney solos have been super learning vehicles.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Jazz Guitar Online - "Out of Nowhere" and the "Star Trek" Theme!

"Out of Nowhere" and the "Star Trek" Theme!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    Jazz Guitar Online - "Out of Nowhere" and the "Star Trek" Theme!

"Out of Nowhere" and the "Star Trek" Theme!
    Clearly I'm in step with the Great Ones! I hadn't seen this but will have to watch it for some ideas. That's really cool. Thanks.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

It would interesting to hear two guitarists try to play the two themes off each other — not necessarily playing over each other, but doing handoffs, like a round.