Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Your favorite ones to hear, ones you're learning, the ones that drive you nuts, whatever.... (Need not be guitar versions, but that's certainly appropriate.)

Here's Joe Pass doing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" from his "Six String Santa" album.

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Doug Munro, with a few very special guests, doing the same tune.

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

After hear this I thought it was very touching as Eric can do.
    ERIC CLAPTON HAPPY XMAS ALBUM - YouTube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I always liked Tony Mottola's arrangements of Christmas songs like "I'll Be Home For Christmas, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, and of course The Christmas Song".

Nice lush chords and sparkling single note runs!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar

User Info Menu

When ive heard it for the first time i didn't know it's considered a Christmas song, but I thought it's one of the best love tunes!

Still love it, especially this version.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This is by far my favourite Christmas song, it's also a great antidote to the overdose of sugar-coated, insincere crap and exploitative advertising that the tv channels will be foisting on to us for the next few weeks. I like Christmas though - whether you're religious or not, a midwinter festival can be a great pick-me-up during a freezing winter, plus kids are fun little folks to have around, and it's good to see them getting all excited and such. My choice of favourite song for the season though is not one for the kids, and it's also a well-constructed and quite moving piece of music.

Spiderman needs no fancy suit or gadgets plus he's a jazz guitar fan

User Info Menu

This is by far my favourite Christmas song, it's also a great antidote to the overdose of sugar-coated, insincere crap and exploitative advertising that the tv channels will be foisting on to us for the next few weeks. I like Christmas though - whether you're religious or not, a midwinter festival can be a great pick-me-up during a freezing winter, plus kids are fun little folks to have around, and it's good to see them getting all excited and such. My choice of favourite song for the season though is not one for the kids, and it's also a well-constructed and quite moving piece of music.
    )))

And modern Christmas - especially in some countries - do not seem to have much related with Christ and its birth: elfs, dwarfs, Santa Claus....
    I wonder when it all began.

User Info Menu

I find myself singing this while making my morning coffee lately. I think it's a nifty tune.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

From an episode of the TV show "Sanford & Son."

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Sun Ra at Christmas.

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    I find myself singing this while making my morning coffee lately. I think it's a nifty tune.

Yes, this song is definitely addictive! Last year while preparing for the office Christmas luncheon I played this song over and over.
    There's no money above the fifth fret.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I bought this LP back in the day way before the internet and paid a pretty penny for it, organist Don Patterson's "Holiday Soul" w Pat Martino and Billy James drums (one of the finest working B3 trios ever)

And I never regretted the purchase, not only my favorite Christmas lp, but possibly my favorite organ trio lp, and I've about heard 'em all, well, most..

User Info Menu

Here's a link to the whole lp, super greasy organ trio goodness...

User Info Menu

Have no secrets, hear no lies.

User Info Menu

Joel Paterson, from Chicago, is the man. Check out his Christmas record, “Hi Fi Christmas Guitar “.

User Info Menu

Why not play one.Christmas_Time_Is_Here.pdf
    If you can distinguish between rehearsing and practicing...you're better than half way there!

User Info Menu

It's always a dream to be swaying in a hammock under palm trees during this time of year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    Joel Paterson, from Chicago, is the man. Check out his Christmas record, “Hi Fi Christmas Guitar “.

That's great, my kind of thing!

And of of course it reminded me, the mighty Brian Setzer, always gets you in proper Christmas spirit

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Great vibe here, and Ella's singing is incomparable.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Both jazz orchestras I play in prepare Christmas based programs that total about 6 or 7 performances every holiday season, so there's no escaping personal involvement in playing Christmas music every year.

Interestingly, the guitar parts are slightly more challenging to read and execute than your average big band charts, so there's always a bit of woodshedding to do...and then they don't get played again for another year.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here's one I did a few years ago....

User Info Menu

I miss singing this with a choir at Christmas concerts.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

BBC Radio 4 just ran a half hour broadcast on Joni's "River", reflecting on how deeply some are engaged with what must be one of the most moving of (anti-) Christmas songs.
    Have no secrets, hear no lies.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense View Post

BBC Radio 4 just ran a half hour broadcast on Joni's "River", reflecting on how deeply some are engaged with what must be one of the most moving of (anti-) Christmas songs.
    That's from 'Blue', isn't it?

Really nothing to do with Christmas per se, of course, it's about Joni feeling gloomily self-reflective as usual, which she's perfectly prone to do most of the time (it's not an 'anti-Christmas' song!) but 'Blue' is definitely one of the best albums ever made, no question.

User Info Menu

I don't go for happy jingly tunes, just not my thing. I like tunes like Silent Night and Bleak Midwinter. But if I have one favorite Christmas song it would be Blue Christmas, preferably sung by me, because I enjoy it.

I know, I'm just a prole :-)

User Info Menu

I've been singing "Jingle Bells" this week. Googled the title to see what came up and found this, an instrumental versionn based on "Dueling Banjos" that morphs into "Jingle Bells." I had to listen...

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

(I don't know why this song is called "Run, Rudoplh, Run" when the refrain is "Run, Run Rudolph."

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Diana Krall featuring Anthony Wilson on guitar

Those who don't understand this music - Are forgiven