The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Here's 4 or 5 Times, sung by not the greatest singer of all times. One of the greatest clarinetists, though. And if it ain't jazz, then I don't know jazz.

Nice! Thanks for that. (I think the singe here is, like Donnie in "The Big Lebowski", out of his element.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Speaking of great players busting out some novel vocals...how about Oscar Peterson. I'm guessing this pretty much a take on Dizzy's big band number.

User Info Menu

This is a fun topic. “They Raided the Joint” is the first tune that came to mind.

Since we've got some nods to western swing here.

My latest music heroes: Vilray and Rachael doing this fun original...

A lot of good stuff here on this thread to lighten things up. Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

This one appears on a Jamey Aebersold play-along (Volume 23.)

Ella Mae Morse's Cow Cow Boogie is one of my favorites! Great vocalist and such hep, happy tune!

User Info Menu

I love this topic! My personal favorite novelty tune is Blossom Dearie's "Rhode Island is Famous For You":

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    I love this topic! My personal favorite novelty tune is Blossom Dearie's "Rhode Island is Famous For You":

I love this tune! Such fun lyrics: "Pencils come from Pennsylvania / Vests from Vest Virginia / And tents from Tent-e-ssee!"

Blossom is one of my favorite singers.
    Another fun lyric she does is "My Attorney, Bernie." (Not nonsense, but very witty, like "I'm Hip." I think Dave Frirshberg wrote both of them.)

Lorenz Hart wrote some funny lyrics---"Manhattan" and "Give It Back to the Indians" spring to mind.

User Info Menu

Flat Foot Floogie - Slim Gaillard

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald

Yeah, this is a fun tune. I got to see Ed Laub sing this with the one and only Bucky Pizzarelli backing him!! Very lucky to witness Bucky play just once in my life.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

seconds on Blossom Dearie "Im hip"...I even call my girlfriend-Man..

But Dave Frirshberg "My Attorney Bernie" is just cool..
    I am blessed
    With my attorney Bernie
    I'm impressed
    With the way he runs the store

He's got Dodger season boxes
    And an office full of foxes
    It's amazing all the different things
    Your average guy might need a lawyer for

Dan Hicks his Hot Licks & the Lickettes..."How can I miss you when you wont go away" is killer..saw them live in a small club..priceless

User Info Menu

Another version of 'Rhode Island,' with guitar:

User Info Menu

Only "almost" a novelty song, with a musical bent:

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Stuart Elliott;902596]Cincinnati-based King Records had strong rosters of both CW and RB artists and frequently cross-fertilized.

ahh..long time back..King Records...I keep seeing Honky Tonk Parts one & two on a blue label..45..Bill Doggett ,,a very hot guitar on that one..Jimmy Smith was the only one I know that could get the feel of that tune

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    ahh..long time back..King Records...I keep seeing Honky Tonk Parts one & two on a blue label..45..Bill Doggett ,,a very hot guitar on that one..Jimmy Smith was the only one I know that could get the feel of that tune

And someone playing along with the recording:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This is one of my all-time favorite records. A lot of other people have recorded it (Professor Longhair and BB King among them) but I don't think anyone has ever done it better. Love that riffy sax solo. Just like the werewolf's hair: Perfect!

User Info Menu

I think I'd put Strayhorn's 'Lush Life' in the novelty song category. I know it's become a 'jazz classic' but originally he kept it to himself and only played it for friends and at parties. In the video you can hear the audience grinning along with him so it was probably all a bit of a joke.

So, I think originally it was what might be classed as a novelty song.

And, if it's not really a joke then it should be... otherwise it's time to cut your throat!

User Info Menu

Great song that, Mark, beautifully played too. Perfect timing.

Glad this topic still has a little more life I'll to hear more of Dan Hicks. I've heard of the name but, until I watched the clip that was posted, I hadn't heard how catchy and swinging his songwriting was...cool!

Forgot that I had Oo-Pa-Pa-Da in my music collection and now I've been exploring more Babs Gonzalez, too. Maybe take in some Blossom Dearie and Peggy Lee, too!

User Info Menu

I'll see your Dan Hicks with a John Girton & raise you a hot Epiphone: