The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

I've been digging Slim Gaillard's guitar/piano playing as well as the Nat King Cole Trio with Oscar Moore lately. When I'm not in my head about "serious" jazz listening, I really enjoy light-hearted tunes like Slim & Slam's Jump Session and Slim's Laguna. And from the Nat King Cole Trio's I Like To Riff and Are You Fer It. Hit That Jive and Frim Fram Sauce, too. Anybody get hooked on fun/corny/cheesy jazz numbers once in awhile?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

love that slim g jive..slim & slam...great stuff...check out babs gonalez, the mills brothers, fats waller & harry the hipster gibson

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    love that slim g jive..slim & slam...great stuff...check out babs gonalez, the mills brothers, fats waller & harry the hipster gibson

cheers
    Yeah, I think I have one of his tracks. He's pretty kooky. I was also thinking about Louis Jordan. He's got a lot of great funny jazz tunes.

User Info Menu

I remember seeing Slam Stewart (The Singing Bassman) play "Flat Foot Floogie With The Floy Floy" back in the late 70's which I think is a Slim Gaillard tune.

Does that qualify?

User Info Menu

Blossom and Mose each had a brand of humor that was a big part of their musical persona that I always enjoyed.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Not jazz, I know, but I classic novelty record.

User Info Menu

Yea, the times when jazz had some good rhythm to it... Here's the song about myself

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yea, the times when jazz had some good rhythm to it... Here's the song about myself

I was just thinking about Cab Calloway. I bought a great compilation in the early 2000s of his Okeh recordings that included this tune and Everyone Eats When They Come To My House.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Not jazz, I know, but I classic novelty record.

I used to listen to the Dr. Demento show and learned about this tune. Add a little swing to it and I'd bet it'd be more fun to play and sing

It's a classic!

YES! When I first saw this clip I was really impressed with his entertainment skills and piano chops. Love his opening line about playing his "2nd number"! Would've like to see him bust out his Charlie Christian-like guitar chops, but it seems like this was a period to show off early rock-n-roll strumming. Great performer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    this guy looks like he’s doing his best fats wallet impression. the result makes very uncomfortable haha

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    I remember seeing Slam Stewart (The Singing Bassman) play "Flat Foot Floogie With The Floy Floy" back in the late 70's which I think is a Slim Gaillard tune.

Does that qualify?

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar

Of course!! I would've enjoyed seeing him or Slim Gaillard live. It would've been something else to see them both as their hep duo!

Mercer has got some great tunes that I need to learn on guitar! I mean Nat King Cole singin' My Sugar Is So Refined. That's a rare classic!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I love this stuff. (And country novelty tunes too, but that's another subject.)

Rhythm changes (and related vamps) seem to be the backing for many such tunes.

Blues and boogie-woogie too.

User Info Menu

Wow, that Long John Baldry clip brought me back. Used to love that tune, and even caught LJB performing in a small church in New York City back around 1970. (I didn't question at the time what the hell LJB was doing performing in a church, but I certainly am now.)

When my brother and I were kids, we used to crack up over a collection of 78 rpm records we inherited from some uncle or other, which had such great tunes as Louis Jordan's "Open the Door, Richard," Mary Clooney singing "C'mon-a My House," and somebody or other singing "Miami Beach Rhumba" (a tune, as best I can recall, about someone starting out to go to Cuba [back when it was legal!] and somehow ending up in Miami Beach). But it was "Open the Door, Richard," that really got us the most.

User Info Menu

that baldry cut actually got some local nyc airplay at the time...it was deemed as a bit of a comeback...long john was the namesake of elton john

combination of long john and great saxman elton dean

and now for something completely different- here's babs

cheers

User Info Menu

These guys always seemed like they were having a helluva lot of fun, and they could really play. The dancing was the thing. A lot of Western Swing (and bluegrass and folk and blues) tunes have silly lyrics.

Hotclub of Cowtown's Whit Smith is a fine guitarist.

User Info Menu

Here's 4 or 5 Times, sung by not the greatest singer of all times. One of the greatest clarinetists, though. And if it ain't jazz, then I don't know jazz.

User Info Menu

"Four or Five Times" was originally a black song, a hit for Jimmy Lunceford, iirc, though recorded by many.

On the other hand, western swingster Hank Penny wrote and first recorded Wynonie Harris's huge r&b hit "Don't Roll Those Bloodshot Eyes at Me." Cincinnati-based King Records had strong rosters of both CW and RB artists and frequently cross-fertilized.