The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Is there a "Meeting" (by Rene Thomas) Jazz lead sheet somewhere online for this song? I could not find it anywhere. I am on a Rene Thomas kick right now. I love his tone on the song, his playing, and the quality of the recording. I notice there is some sort of 2-5-1 in the song but I can't figure it out. I love his patented pick sweep in that section and I want to copy it.

Any help as always will be appreciated. Someone always seems to have the answer on this site.

Last edited by AlsoRan; 09-02-2018 at 10:51 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

On second thought, maybe I need to figure this out on my own. I have been around here long enough that I should be able to do it without too much trouble.

I am making this song my project and I probably need to try and figure it out on my own. It has an organ, which kind of makes it a little easier in some ways, to figure out the harmony since they are so loud in the mix.

Enjoy the song, those of you who like the old, boppin' stuff.

User Info Menu

A little hint to get you started: think Coltrane "Giant Steps" and "Moment's Notice". Good luck!

User Info Menu

I LOVE Rene Thomas' playing! Like Jimmy Raney it's just amazing bebop on guitar. This recording has a much clearer, more modern sound than anything I've heard by RT before, but it's still got that Jimmy Raney lilt and swagger that I'm crazy about. You expect any second the line is going to crash and burn, and it almost seems to, then the brilliant resolution. So much bebop vocabulary it's also so much fun to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    A little hint to get you started: think Coltrane "Giant Steps" and "Moment's Notice". Good luck!
    Ha! ha!

Thanks, PMB. But now you have me scared, as I have been around here long enough to know that Giant Steps is one of those "rite of passage" Jazz songs. Maybe I am better off sticking with my present slower course.

User Info Menu

PMB,

I am hearing that movement in 3rds like Giant Steps and Lazy Bird. This is going to be interesting as I never tried learning to solo over this patented Coltrane chord progression style. As dated as it is too many, I love it.

User Info Menu

Great CD, also has a cool photo of René inside.

Meeting (Rene Thomas) - Chords or Lead Sheet?-e9ffbfb2-f1ba-4da8-b11c-e67e08cd871d-jpg

User Info Menu

yeah interesting changes. I'm on holiday today so I had a go at figuring them out.

If you don't want to know the results, LOOK AWAY NOW!

AABA form.

A:

/ Ebm / Ab7 / Db / Bm; E7 / A / Ebm; Ab7 / Db / Db /

B:

/ Abm / Db7 / Am / D7 / Bbm / Eb7 / Ebm / Ab7 /

that's it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    yeah interesting changes. I'm on holiday today so I had a go at figuring them out.

AABA form.

A:

B:

that's it!
    I promise I won't look (Thanks)

User Info Menu

AABA form.

A:

B:

that's it!
    Exactly, so a "Giant Steps" major 3rd relationship in the A section with "Moment's Notice" chromatically rising ii-Vs in the B.

User Info Menu

"Now look at me while I'm talking to you, Rene. Have you been stealing my chords again?"

Meeting (Rene Thomas) - Chords or Lead Sheet?-rt_jc-jpg

User Info Menu

I've never heard of Rene Thomas before.

What a great jazz guitar player! I love the tone he gets and the clarity and creativity of his single note improvised lines are just outstanding!

Thank you for introducing me to this guy and his playing!

User Info Menu

Did Rene ever record "Rene's Theme" from the Larry Coryell LP "Spaces"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Did Rene ever record "Rene's Theme" from the Larry Coryell LP "Spaces"?
    This website says the tune Coryell recorded was really Rene’s tune ‘Ballad for Leo’, if so that’s the tune to search for.

http://thomasia.free.fr/compo.php

If that is correct, then it looks as if it was recorded by Stan Getz on the ‘Dynasty’ LP (which featured Rene).

User Info Menu

Here’s ‘Ballad for Leo’. A bit hard to tell, the chord changes sound similar perhaps. Anyway Rene has a solo at about 4:30.

User Info Menu

Rene Thomas’ tone on that record is the greatest ever. He was a great player, very boppish but he has a nice clarity. He’s really great on a Chet Baker album, sometimes titled Chet is back, sometimes Chet in Italy: there’s a great version of Star Eyes and pent up house

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PB+J
    Rene Thomas’ tone on that record is the greatest ever. He was a great player, very boppish but he has a nice clarity. He’s really great on a Chet Baker album, sometimes titled Chet is back, sometimes Chet in Italy: there’s a great version of Star Eyes and pent up house
    Rene kills on Pent up House on that live album he did with Bobby Jaspar at Ronnie Scott's with Daniel Humair on drums.

User Info Menu

This website says the tune Coryell recorded was really Rene’s tune ‘Ballad for Leo’, if so that’s the tune to search for.

http://thomasia.free.fr/compo.php

If that is correct, then it looks as if it was recorded by Stan Getz on the ‘Dynasty’ LP (which featured Rene).
    Congratulations!! You've solved one of the jazz guitar world's great mysteries! Coryell only got the changes to the tune from Rene, and never bothered to ask Rene for the melody. They just improvise on the changes.
    Guys, you should all pony up and get Graham something for his research. Me? Uh, I'm a bit low on funds right now; owe a few guys at the local pub and all. But I'll be glad to sign the card...

Thanks Graham, the guys at RMMGJ should be proud of you!

User Info Menu

Haha all I did was google it, not much to it really! I have seen that ‘thomasia’ site before, it’s got a lot of good info.

I’m a big Rene fan, I have all of the albums mentioned so far in this thread!

User Info Menu

Haha all I did was google it, not much to it really! I have seen that ‘thomasia’ site before, it’s got a lot of good info.

I’m a big Rene fan, I have all of the albums mentioned so far in this thread!
    I scoured the other Thomas site, and didn't come up with anything. The guy who runs the Thomasia site must have known Rene pretty closely, to come up with that incredible info in such detail.
    Getz played a great solo on that tune.

User Info Menu

A friend of mine was in the audience at Ronnie Scott’s when the ‘Dynasty’ recording was made. He still goes on about it!