The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I am going to create a CD with nothing but minor jazz blues standards.

Here is my list so far:

Midnight Blue
    I Remember Sonny

Can you please suggest some more for me?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Check your other thread, I put 2 more on there.

User Info Menu

Stolen Moments
    Footprints
    Senor Blues
    Equinox
    Last edited by grahambop; 01-28-2018 at 02:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Mike Outram has listed some here:

Blues in All Major and Minor Keys | Mike Outram

User Info Menu

Thanks, I will check them all out!

User Info Menu

Autumn Leaves

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    Autumn Leaves
    minor, but not a blues.

Summertime can be seen as a sort of minor blues.

User Info Menu

Try these...
    Attached Images Attached Images Minor Jazz Blues Songs-screen-shot-2018-01-29-6-51-42-pm-jpg Minor Jazz Blues Songs-screen-shot-2018-01-29-6-52-11-pm-jpg 

User Info Menu

Yes, Tanya is a nice tune (by Donald Byrd). Sort of an extended minor blues with a 'B' section or ending added.

I'm not so sure about Blue Train or Cousin Mary. The head might sound a bit minor but I think Trane played the solos with 'major' changes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Try these...
    You are going to keep me busy, amigo! It will be a "labor of love," however.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    minor, but not a blues.

Summertime can be seen as a sort of minor blues.
    Ah, but it always makes me blue........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    Ah, but it always makes me blue........
    Summertime is a blues, but it's a 16 bar blues. Blues was never limited to the 12 bar pattern, though that's what dominates now. If you go back just a little in time, all the classic old blues players used 8 bar, 12 bar, and 16 bar forms, and even used blues with a bridge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Summertime is a blues, but it's a 16 bar blues. Blues was never limited to the 12 bar pattern, though that's what dominates now. If you go back just a little in time, all the classic old blues players used 8 bar, 12 bar, and 16 bar forms, and even used blues with a bridge.
    In fact if you go back to the real old blues guys, they played blues with however many bars they felt like, could be 11 bars, 13 bars, whatever.

I believe there's a story about Lightnin' Hopkins who got booked on a tour playing with a band, and they asked him why he didn't stick to the usual pattern when going from I to IV. His reply was 'Lightnin' change when Lightnin' wanna change'!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    In fact if you go back to the real old blues guys, they played blues with however many bars they felt like, could be 11 bars, 13 bars, whatever.

I believe there's a story about Lightnin' Hopkins who got booked on a tour playing with a band, and they asked him why he didn't stick to the usual pattern when going from I to IV. His reply was 'Lightnin' change when Lightnin' wanna change'!
    I have got to tell you that I am finally getting what the real, old Blues guys felt and put into their music. So much was against them, even their own restless souls. I did not get it when I was younger, but I get it now and I enjoy looking at the old footage of them. The old Blues ladies as well get to me. They had a double whammy to deal with. I admire their courage to fight on and take the good when they could (and try hard not to screw it up with a bad follow-up decision).

Another fantasy of mine is to drive over to rural Mississippi and go to one of those old Blues joints. Just a fantasy.

User Info Menu

How about Peel Me a Grape by Dave Frishberg,Your Heart Is as Black as Night by Melody Gardot,or alternately If I Tell You I Love You I’m Lying,also Gardot.Harlem Nocturne is a gorgeous minor jazz/ blues.

User Info Menu

Of course, there’s also “Why don’t you do right” - which is the subject of another (eponymous) thread in this very forum...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Comin home baby

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I would say that Summertime is mostly blues. I have tried to play the song (in Dm), with a few blues players and they have a very hard time playing over the II\V\I F major section.

User Info Menu

Don't forget St. James Infirmary -- just about as minor bluesy as it gets.

I went down to St. James infirmary, I saw my baby there
    She was stretched out on a long white table,
    So sweet, cool and so fair

Yowsa!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have a small playlist of only minor blues tunes and here are a few tracks that I put on it...

Swingers Get the Blues, Too - Duke Ellington. It's short but starts out minor, changes to major and out with minor.
    Fathead - David "Fathead Newman (feat. Ray Charles)
    Purple Shades - Art Blakey (feat. Thelonious Monk)
    One For Daddy-O - Cannnball Adderley
    Snoopy & Woodstock - Wynton Marsalis
    Lofty's Roach Souffle - Harry Connick Jr Trio

One recently discovered Ellington minor blues not on this playlist is Night Creature!

Love the mood of minor blues tunes!

User Info Menu

What are some of your favorite minor blues heads/versions?

Whatchu got?
    Last edited by arielcee; 03-23-2020 at 06:58 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Birk's Works, Kenny Burrell's live version...

User Info Menu