Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 65 of 65
    Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Took a stab at it:

I loved it !!
    Right on !!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

So, it looks like like destinytot has the right idea. Should we formalize ourselves into a formal study study group ? or just carry on informally on this thread ?

Your thoughts ?

Study groups always do better with some kind of structure. Pick a tune, give a deadline. One per week, or every two weeks? Invite people to submit things later if they like, but at least having a deadline seems to help. My 2c...

Yes, I agree.

I was hoping that this thread would lead to a Study Group whereby we would pick one tune per month. I envision overriding "curriculum" if you will of a couple of dozen tunes, so that members could skip tunes that did not appeal to them and participate in months when the songs did appeal to them.

Similar to what is done by the folks over in the "Practical Standards" Study Group.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    So, it looks like like destinytot has the right idea. Should we formalize ourselves into a formal study study group ? or just carry on informally on this thread ?

Your thoughts ?
    Thanks, Double A!

A couple of thoughts and a suggestion.

I think the songs in the list are all fine (because it all comes down to interpretation/treatment), and I agree that having some kind of structure would be helpful.

But I don't believe that their preparation - which needn't take more than a few minutes - warrants the kind of (slow and considered) pace followed on other forum study groups.

Moreover, I believe the outcome ought to be improvised.

So I suggest focusing on the 'hows and whys' of the approach(es) and style(s) each of us happens to favour.

(Personally, I can infer enough information from recordings to be able to improvise the outcome. A quick glance at the list tells me that one half would suit Tele and the other Marty Grosz-Carl Kress tuning - what I'd need to decide on is each vocal key.)
    Last edited by destinytot; 11-15-2017 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Typos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    He was one of France's most famous pop singers! Distel wrote The Good Life, a tune covered by Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Sarah Vaughan, Betty Carter, Nancy Wilson...
    And what an excellent song it is.

I'm serious about purging the twee/schmaltz/cheese - because this music offers catharsis.

That doesn't get watered down here because of the storytelling:

A month feels like too long a time for a single tune to me.

How does this sound ?

We take about a dozen tunes. We practice, perform and post them over a 6 month period.

Hopefully we will inspire and encourage each other.

Preparation can be a few minutes or a few weeks depending on whether or not you need to change keys etc.

We can focus on the hows and whys and ask each other questions.

We can post videos that inspire.

My question remains do we carry on here or do I? start a thread under the Study Group heading ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I say start it. I'll join in, I love to sing...I don't know if I'm any damn good at it, but I love to do it.

Great !
    Do we do it here or in a new thread ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Study Group has been started

Please go the the sub section "The Songs" and vote in the Thread entitled Jazz Guitarist that Sing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Yes, I agree.

I was hoping that this thread would lead to a Study Group whereby we would pick one tune per month. I envision overriding "curriculum" if you will of a couple of dozen tunes, so that members could skip tunes that did not appeal to them and participate in months when the songs did appeal to them.

Similar to what is done by the folks over in the "Practical Standards" Study Group.
    i like the idea of some kind of structure otherwise I creep at my glacial pace. I think a song every two weeks might work given the balance between life and the desire to push oneself.

I'm going to throw myself out on a limb here and separately post a crazy video that I did about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TomDC
    i like the idea of some kind of structure otherwise I creep at my glacial pace. I think a song every two weeks might work given the balance between life and the desire to push oneself.

I'm going to throw myself out on a limb here and separately post a crazy video that I did about a year ago.
    Yes, I guess I am just looking for more variety and inspiration. Members could choose to focus on whichever songs they want and even post them multiple times as they improve through the "term".

I am open to change if it is warranted. Let's see how this works.

Please vote, when you get a chance.

User Info Menu

I just found out about this guy and wanted to share. This seems like a good place:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I just found out about this guy and wanted to share. This seems like a good place:

Great post. Love that bluesy singing style - especially the shift to upper range. (My own head voice has opened, and I'm working with imagery of 'pulling high notes down' for fuller tone.)