The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

as per fass-

so many iconic jazz guitarists have done cover versions of beatle songs.. & still!

gotta a fave?

here's one of mine-

from the great gabor szabo...1969

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Brad Mehldau has done a number of Beatles tunes.

Pat on his Barittone with Nashville tuning.

A guy I used to work with was a avid Jazz fan, we were hanging with friends and Wes Montgomery's version of Day In A Life came on and we were all digging on it. The others and I started talking about this topic Jazz versions of Beatles tunes well the guy I worked was shocked when we said A Day In A Life was a Beatles song. He thought we are kidding him, and we thought he was putting us on that he didn't know it was a Beatles song. It was quite a funny situation and days later was telling me he really thought it was a Wes tune.

User Info Menu

Favorite Jazz Guitar Versions of Beatles Songs-butcher-jpg

User Info Menu

hey don't butcher my thread!!

hah

cheers

ps- i remember when there were rumours that the original "butcher" cover existed behind re-covered lps...people used to peel their covers!!!..to no avail..hah (i think!)

User Info Menu

There were some original covers with the new ones glued over them until the record co. could actually print a new cover which they did in short order. It's been a long time but I think I've seen them peeled off. Record collectors have levels of value for complete peel offs as well as originals and partial peel offs showing just a portion of the original.

Yesterday and Today - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

This rumour is actually true. There were quite a few released in that manner until existing supplies ran out:

User Info Menu

Not jazz but a notable Beatles cover here in Oz was Zoot's heavy rock version of Eleanor Rigby (featuring future General Hospital soap star, Rick Springfield):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    This rumour is actually true. There were quite a few released in that manner until existing supplies ran out:

I had one and didn't do a very good job of taking the second cover off. I kept thinking I'd go get another one because they were pretty easy to spot and there were a lot of them around. But then collectors started swooping in buying them up.

People were more uptight back then so Capital got nervous about the Butcher Block cover and decided to go with another cover. So to not waste the originals they just put the second cover over the first. It was extra album in America there was no British version. Back then the British Beatle albums had more songs on them due to some limitation on number of releases per year. So the songs on the Yesterday and Today were the extra songs from I believe Rubber Soul and Revolver.

User Info Menu

I've posted this Thomas Chapin Trio cover of Ticket To Ride numerous times,

Then there's Bill Frisell's album "All We Are Saying".... tribute to John Lennon, which includes many Beatles tunes. Goooood stuff...

User Info Menu

Last edited by Stevebol; 09-15-2017 at 01:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Benson's Here Comes The Sun:

User Info Menu

Richie Havens and Strawberry Fields + Hey Jude:

User Info Menu

Ken Loach's Hey Jud:

User Info Menu

Last edited by mrcee; 09-15-2017 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

jeff beck also covered beatles on blow by blow..plus it was produced by george martin!

cheers

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The master of polyphonics and polyrhythms and everything:

User Info Menu

the (too little known) great guitar genius- howard roberts!..with a good one

cheers

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

hah..that was a lot of fun vladan

lots of crazy/good tones..fuzz, verb, octave stuff..lots going on

reminds me of old nyc downtown knitting factory days...

fun...thanks

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hah..that was a lot of fun vladan

lots of crazy/good tones..fuzz, verb, octave stuff..lots going on

reminds me of old nyc downtown knitting factory days...

fun...thanks

cheers
    Thank you, compliments (and "likes") make me feel good!