The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Just got into Abbey Road again, and I find Because and Sun King to have very beautiful melodies.

Have some quartet gigs coming up, and I definitely will play this tune. The harmony is simple, yet unusual---every brick in place, with beautiful voice-leading. The F-F Diminished (the latter a 'pivot' back to E Min, then functioning as a sort of E7th b9, b9 in the bass, to get to A) are a really nice surprise. Love the lyric, too---everyone can relate to what they're saying.

Here's a little chart w/a sort of rhumba feel, a la Jamal/Fournier on Poinciana (the original key is C# Min. E Min is more guitar-friendly):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fasstrack; 09-03-2017 at 09:58 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I learnt a lot about voice-leading studying some Beatles stuff. Those guys could write a song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I learnt a lot about voice-leading studying some Beatles stuff. Those guys could write a song.
    It's really astounding how they developed from writing talented but sort of puerile songs about young love to the level of sophistication they eventually reached. And I don't believe George Martin wrote any of it, just arranged the songs (beautifully), hired players and got their sound in the studio. They simply matured...

User Info Menu

Have you seen these films,
    It Was Fifty Years Ago Today! The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper & Beyond.
    The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years - Special Edition.

Well worth watching!

Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory.
    Llewelyn Wyn Griffith

User Info Menu

Oops. On my chart I goofed: wrote B as the pickup to letter A, and 2 other times---instead of the correct note, E. Guess it was hard to hear w/the harmony underneath.

Here's the corrected chart:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fasstrack; 09-04-2017 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Just recorded it today, for future inclusion in Melody Messenger. 4 1/2 hours of grueling work to get an action-packed 2:47 (2 seconds longer than the Beatles) using 3 tracks. It was worth it. I like the track.

Who SAYS music isn't hard work?

Will post it when it's mixed...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 09-07-2017 at 01:33 PM.

User Info Menu

FWIW: Here's a preview of the track I just recorded for inclusion on Melody Messenger, a solo CD I recently finished. 3 tracks on this one, and I tried to use the lads' vocal harmonies in the arrangement:

(WTF? Tried to upload it and got an error message saying 'invalid file'. It's just a wav. Why did THAT happen?). Someone please tell me how to fix this so I can post the track. Thanks in advance, Joel

User Info Menu

I don't think I've ever gotten a file to successfully upload to this site, I always just host/link...

my guess on the .wav is that it's too darn big.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I don't think I've ever gotten a file to successfully upload to this site, I always just host/link...

my guess on the .wav is that it's too darn big.
    Thanks. I can post sheet music here w/o a problem, not wav files. I think I'll pass on putting it online. Guess they'll just have to buy the CD. LOL...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    It's really astounding how they developed from writing talented but sort of puerile songs about young love to the level of sophistication they eventually reached. And I don't believe George Martin wrote any of it, just arranged the songs (beautifully), hired players and got their sound in the studio. They simply matured...
    I forget where I saw it, but there's an interview with George Martin (or maybe it was in his memoir) where he talks about just this question. He says he did stuff like write out scores when they brought in horns or string sections, but that the Beatles basically composed everything, e.g., McCartney played the string quartet part for Eleanor Rigby on the Piano, and Martin basically took dictation. The only stuff he composed are the instrumental interludes on Yellow Submarine (side 2 of the album). Of course "Because" is the Moonlight Sonata backwards, so arguably Lennon-McCartney shouldn't have taken credit for that ...

John

User Info Menu

I remember talking to Barney Kessel about The Beatles when he was teaching a seminar in Annapolis during the late 70's. He said that The Beatles single-handedly changed peoples' conception of what harmony and chord progressions could be. I agree.

The most beautiful solo guitar arrangement I have ever heard of Because is the one that classical guitarist John Williams plays on his Columbia record album "Changes".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I forget where I saw it, but there's an interview with George Martin (or maybe it was in his memoir) where he talks about just this question. He says he did stuff like write out scores when they brought in horns or string sections, but that the Beatles basically composed everything, e.g., McCartney played the string quartet part for Eleanor Rigby on the Piano, and Martin basically took dictation. The only stuff he composed are the instrumental interludes on Yellow Submarine (side 2 of the album). Of course "Because" is the Moonlight Sonata backwards, so arguably Lennon-McCartney shouldn't have taken credit for that ...

John
    That's what I thought.

Except that last sentence. Moonlight Sonata? I don't hear that at all. Did you mean the quasi-harpsichord intro? The rest of the tune is nothing like Moonlight Sonata to my ears...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    I remember talking to Barney Kessel about The Beatles when he was teaching a seminar in Annapolis during the late 70's. He said that The Beatles single-handedly changed peoples' conception of what harmony and chord progressions could be. I agree.

The most beautiful solo guitar arrangement I have ever heard of Because is the one that classical guitarist John Williams plays on his Columbia record album "Changes".

Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar
    yeah, when the Beatles hit and jazz jobs started becoming scarce a lot of jazzmen became bitter and absolutely hated them.
    but Barney was probably doing a lot of studio work and was unaffected by their presence.
    btw, many moons ago I caught Barney and Herb Ellis doing a duo show in town.
    I'll never forget when Barney played a quote during one of his solos and it took me a minute to figure out what it was, then it dawned on me.....Eleanor Rigby!

User Info Menu

At long last---Mp3: (Gotta love this digital world---NOT)
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

That's what I thought.

Except that last sentence. Moonlight Sonata? I don't hear that at all. Did you mean the quasi-harpsichord intro? The rest of the tune is nothing like Moonlight Sonata to my ears...
    This is a Lennon quote in wikipedia: "Yoko was playing Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata' on the piano ... I said, 'Can you play those chords backwards?', and wrote 'Because' around them. The lyrics speak for themselves ... No imagery, no obscure references."

There are a few variations on this theme in other interviews, which has morphed into the urban legend that Because is literally the Moonlight Sonata backwards (the opening arpeggio section has some similarity, but it's not completely the same). Sheesh, these kids today. They don't know anything ...

John
    Last edited by John A.; 09-13-2017 at 04:47 PM.

User Info Menu

This is a Lennon quote in wikipedia: "Yoko was playing Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata' on the piano ... I said, 'Can you play those chords backwards?', and wrote 'Because' around them. The lyrics speak for themselves ... No imagery, no obscure references."

There are a few variations on this theme in other interviews, which has morphed into the urban legend that Because is literally the Moonlight Sonata backwards (the opening arpeggio section has some similarity, but it's completely the same). Sheesh, these kids today. They don't know anything ...

John
    OK...

User Info Menu

At long last---Mp3: (Gotta love this digital world---NOT)
    Sounds lovely!

User Info Menu

OK...
    I meant to say to "it's not completely the same," and will fix that with an edit. You're still a whippersnapper, though.

John

User Info Menu

I You're still a whippersnapper, though.John
    I resemble that remark...

User Info Menu

Beautiful version of a beautiful tune ! Thanks for posting.

Coincidentally I was listening to Anthony Wilson's album Adult Themes last night, which also has a version of Because on it.

Wouldn't you know it, no jazz versions of a tune for 50 years and then 2 come along on the same day !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Beautiful version of a beautiful tune ! Thanks for posting.

Coincidentally I was listening to Anthony Wilson's album Adult Themes last night, which also has a version of Because on it.

Wouldn't you know it, no jazz versions of a tune for 50 years and then 2 come along on the same day !
    Thanks. Would like to hear Anthony's. I'm an admirer...

User Info Menu

I enjoyed the track, lots of feeling in the melody. Great song, Al DiMeola also has a version.
    Last edited by JazzinNY; 09-14-2017 at 05:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Very cool Joel.

John

User Info Menu

Very cool Joel.

John
    Thanks. And that's 'whippersnapper' to you (;

Um, could we make that 'Mr. Whippersnapper'?

(I'd adopt it as a nickname---but it doesn't sound Jewish enough)...

User Info Menu

Thanks. And that's 'whippersnapper' to you (;

Um, could we make that 'Mr. Whippersnapper'?

(I'd adopt it as a nickname---but it doesn't sound Jewish enough)...
    Vippersnapstein? Or maybe you're Israel, and it's Bar-Vippersnap?

John