The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

I'd be interested in suggestions of pop or rock tunes that have been ported to fusion or jazz styles. In particular, pieces that can be covered well by a trio or quartet.
    I need to get better at this type of arranging, and I would benefit from some good examples.
    Original genre can be most anything.
    One example of what I mean is Johnny A's version of Wind Cries Mary:
    Last edited by wengr; 06-02-2017 at 03:52 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Beautiful, and very much what I'm looking for. Thanks

User Info Menu

Something by Burt Bacharach?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Real Feels do loads of this stuff.... Here's one I haven't listened to yet!

User Info Menu

Love the Real Feels Scarborough Fair paarticularly

Petros and Gilad did a pile of Beatles tunes, is Petros not the most melodic bass player

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I really like what he did with this: the spirit of the song is there, I can hear the lyric, the backbeat is gentle and not pounding, as befits a Jimmy Webb song. I didn't bother to listen to the solos, that's Ben's thing, and he's a strong straight 8th player---I know the song is in good hands from the melody statement.

(I've been playing this song everyday myself lately, and pretty straight, with a build-up and blowing on a vamp on those last 2 changes---works b/c the story is already told with the melody and contrast gives something new, while reinforcing).

Kudos...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    I'd be interested in suggestions of pop or rock tunes that have been ported to fusion or jazz styles. In particular, pieces that can be covered well by a trio or quartet.
    I need to get better at this type of arranging, and I would benefit from some good examples.
    Original genre can be most anything.
    One example of what I mean is Johnny A's version of Wind Cries Mary:
    I don't see how this is 'jazzed up'---just sped up and still with a backbeat having to do more with rock than jazz or anything else. Frankly, I prefer Jimi's original tempo. If it ain't broke...

Good player of this ilk, though...

User Info Menu

I always dig what frisell does with rock and pop tunes

User Info Menu

Thomas Chapin did a killing version of Ticket To Ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    I really like what he did with this: the spirit of the song is there, I can hear the lyric, the backbeat is gentle and not pounding, as befits a Jimmy Webb song. I didn't bother to listen to the solos, that's Ben's thing, and he's a strong straight 8th player---I know the song is in good hands from the melody statement.

(I've been playing this song everyday myself lately, and pretty straight, with a build-up and blowing on a vamp on those last 2 changes---works b/c the story is already told with the melody and contrast gives something new, while reinforcing).

Kudos...
    Yeah I've been playing this one a lot too... That's pretty much how I do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez

Ok, now this one makes me want to drop the idea, and probably quit playing the guitar.

User Info Menu

Gilad isn't shit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Gilad isn't shit
    Whoa!!

SO glad I came back---he hee...

User Info Menu

;-)

User Info Menu

glamjazz?...brad shepik & co (pachora) do bowie

cheers

User Info Menu

Oh that is acceptable. Shepik isn't shit either.

(Actually I think I'm going to get into the understatement thing, as I'm fed up of 'killing', 'm*th*rf*ck*r', 'awesome' and so on.)

I really rather enjoy his Middle Eastern inflected stuff that the other David B (the bearer of all jazz guitar knowledge) introduced me to, and in turn I've turned a few people onto his stuff... I'd forgotten about this album.
    Last edited by christianm77; 06-03-2017 at 05:41 PM.

User Info Menu

shepik's the shit!!!...great player..eclectic and always interesting

cheers

User Info Menu

BTW - trying to track down CD's of noughties jazz albums is an expensive business! I would like a copy of that album for the car, but not at the prices they are at...
    Last edited by christianm77; 06-03-2017 at 05:51 PM.

User Info Menu

I AM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------shit. (Made ya look...).

'I'm good enough, I'm smart enough----and, doggone it, people LIKE me'------Stuart Smalley

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    shepik's the shit!!!...great player..eclectic and always interesting

cheers
    So Shepik, isn't shit, he is the shit.

That's how grammar works around here, deal with it.

Might we also say that Shepik = Epic?

User Info Menu

his real name is Brad Schoeppach....(try cockney rhyming that!! haha)

cheers

ps- recently read steve jones (sex pistols) auto bio-lonely boy-- he has some great cockney rhyming slang going on!!..haha
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-03-2017 at 06:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    his real name is Brad Schoeppach....(try cockney rhyming that!! haha)

cheers

ps- recently read steve jones (sex pistols) auto bio-lonely boy-- he has some great cockney rhyming slang going on!!..haha

User Info Menu

That version of 'Something' is so Pure...

He Jazzed it a bit but it is so true to the Original.

His Tone is even perfect...a really Inspired Version .

Using Christian's new ' Understatement Guidelines '-
    this is an
    'acceptable Version with beyond mediocre Playing...'.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 07-18-2017 at 10:33 AM.