The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32
    joaopaz Guest
    I've been driving and listening a lot to a couple of early Jim Hall "classic quartets" albums; "Impromptu" lead by pianist Billy Taylor and "Brunin'" with Paul Bryant on organ.

I thought it would be great if you guys could list some of your favorite jazz/blues guitar solos - wether from a guitarist playing as leader or as sideman.

Depending on the feedback I'll be glad to edit this first post with your suggestions - so we can grow a sort of reference list here... if you can add the key, too, that would be very helpful, maybe when we're looking for ideas or inspiration for a certain tune.

Ok, here's a couple of somewhat obscure blues tracks from the albums I mentioned. Jim Hall keeps it very simple but you gotta love everything he plays!
    And Billy Taylor is incredible, too, in the whole album.

"Free and Oozy" - Ab - ("Impromptu" Billy Taylor, 1962) Jim Hall - solo @ 2:47

"Still Searchin'" - C - ("Burnin'" Paul Bryant, 1960) Jim Hall - solo @ 3:34

+ + + + + + + + + +

"Free and Oozy" - Ab - ("Impromptu" Billy Taylor, 1962) Jim Hall - solo @ 2:47

"Still Searchin'" - C - ("Burnin'" Paul Bryant, 1960) Jim Hall - solo @ 3:34

"Back at the Chicken Shack" - F - ("Back at the Chicken Shack" Jimmy Smith, 1963) Kenny Burrell - solo @ 3:34

"Royal Garden Blues" - F - ("Nothing But The Blues" Herb Ellis, 1957) Herb Ellis - solo @ 0:35

"Midnight Blue" - F minor - ("Midnight Blue" Kenny Burrell, 1963) Kenny Burrell - solo @ 1:05

"D's Blues" - ("Upper West Side Story" Bobby Broom, 2012) Bobby Broom - solo @ 1:24

"Solo Flight" - ("Solo Flight: The Genius of Charlie Christian", Benny Goodnam/Charlie Christian, 1939/1941) Charlie Christian - solo @ 0:35

"Organ Grinder's Swing" - C - ("Organ Grinder Swing" Jimmy Smith, 1965) Kenny Burrell - solo @ 0:40

"Low Down and Dirty" - Bb - ("Giblet Gravy" George Benson, 1968) George Benson - solo @ 0:47

"Glad to Be Unhappy" - ("Glad to Be Unhappy" Paul Desmond, 1965) Jim Hall - solo @ 2:34

"Na Beira do Rio" - ("Meia-Noite Meio-Dia" Chico Pinheiro, 2003) Chico Pinheiro

"The Scratch" ("Bringin' It Home" Jack McDuff, 1998) George Benson - solo @ 0:55

"Fingers" ("The Boss" Jimmy Smith, 1968) Nathen Page - solo @ 6:23

"It Ain't Necessarily So" ("The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark" Grant Greene, 1997) Grant Greene - solo @ 0:39
    Last edited by joaopaz; 04-07-2017 at 09:00 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I seen Larry Coryell live in small clubs in New York, he as was great.
    He made me view the guitar different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

One of my favorite recordings ever.

User Info Menu

this album... in it's entirety!

kenny burrell midnight blue

cheers

joaopaz Guest
    Thanks guys, I added your choices to the OP.

Funny thing.... the oldest recording so far dates back to 1963 (my birthday year )
    That makes me think... are jazz/blues still being actively composed? Being performed I'm sure they are....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz
    That makes me think... are jazz/blues still being actively composed? Being performed I'm sure they are....

check out bobby broom...he can play it all...bluesy, outside, standards...great player

cheers

User Info Menu

I'm more than happy to take things back decades earlier than the 60s. Can't beat Mr. Christian.

User Info Menu

Here are a couple I like . . .

the first Kenny Burrell solo I ever copped:

and one I think of as "the Fort Knox of licks" -- break into this one, and you'll be set for life:

Great idea for a thread -- thanks joaopaz!

User Info Menu

The first few that leaped to mind ...

Jim Hall on Glad to Be Unhappy from the Paul Desmond album of the same name.

Chico Pinheiro on Na Beira Do Rio (not sure which, but one of his first two albums).

Susanna Raya on youtube, playing Manha De Carnival (Black Orpheus). She sings it and takes two choruses in the middle. Just terrific.

It's hard to pick just one from Wes. I don't know which one to name. I love everything he played.

User Info Menu

Early Benson is just so groovy. The first few bars of the Scratch are just killer to my ears, here it is slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Early Benson is just so groovy. The first few bars of the Scratch are just killer to my ears, here it is slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

It's hard to pick just one from Wes. I don't know which one to name. I love everything he played.
    I think Wes doing Round Midnight does it for me.

User Info Menu

This. Whatever the title of that piece is... (Benson solo starting at 1:06)

Can't believe that so many notes stuffed into a slow blues could sound so good!

Robert

User Info Menu

Nathen Page cuts a nice solo around 7.35........with a thumb pick.

A little bit about him....
    Nathen PageGuitar, pianoBorn: August 23, 1937 in Leetown, West VirginiaDied: March 8, 2003 in Bradenton, Florida
    Guitarist worked with major names

Copyright © 2003

Nathen Page was a guitarist and pianist active in Washington and Florida. He played with many major performers in his career, including Jimmy Smith from 1965-70, Herbie Mann, Roberta Flack, Jackie MacLean and Sonny Rollins.

He recorded with Charles Tolliver in Paris in 1977, and toured Europe with Lonnie Smith (1990) and Alvin Queen (1991).

Mike Fitzgerald writes:

Although very under-recognized, Page was the feature of a recent radio show by Bill Kirchner. Originally from West Virginia, Page played on the Washington, DC scene. He had been living in Florida since 1980.

Information on his career and recordings at http://home1.gte.net/npage1/

Bill Kirchner writes:

Nathen had been under treatment for cancer since last year. His condition had taken a turn for the worst a couple of weeks ago, so his passing was expected, though no less saddening for that. He was 65.

Nathen was one of the truly great jazz guitarists, and a gentle, warm human being, and will be greatly missed.

Last edited by Philco; 04-06-2017 at 08:52 PM.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    check out bobby broom...he can play it all...bluesy, outside, standards...great player

cheers

Wow, man, thanks for that! First time I heard about him and every tune in that album is so amazing. Funny as it can be so reminiscent of Pat Martino at times - another idol of mine

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    Here are a couple I like . . .

the first Kenny Burrell solo I ever copped:

and one I think of as "the Fort Knox of licks" -- break into this one, and you'll be set for life:

Great idea for a thread -- thanks joaopaz!
    Thank you! glad I started it...! Because there's already such an amazing list already. Currently listening to Benson as I type. This guy is so incredible...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This brings a big smile to my face every time - Russell Malone:

User Info Menu

No Blues - Wes
    Stompin' at the Savoy - Jim Hall
    Django - Grant Green
    Grant Green - Django (only kidding - I'm a fan of so many of his solos, but Danse Norwegienne on electric is gorgeous)
    Topsy/Swing to Bop - Charlie Christian

Hmmm, moderns?

Well Mike Moreno is brilliant, but nothing he has recorded matches up to his live stuff. IMO
    I'd say the same about Kurt actually, but I actually prefer Moreno's playing.
    'Jazz' - Lage Lund - the perfect line, hard to believe its improvised.
    Can't think of a Peter B one off the top of my head, they're all great, but I'll think of one...
    Nicolette - Bill Frisell

And that's just the jazz guitar players.

User Info Menu

I don't have a favorite solo as long as blues is a key ingredient...and this is sublime to my taste...

User Info Menu

George Benson @3:15.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Nathen Page cuts a nice solo around 7.35........with a thumb pick.

A little bit about him....
    Nathen PageGuitar, pianoBorn: August 23, 1937 in Leetown, West VirginiaDied: March 8, 2003 in Bradenton, Florida
    Guitarist worked with major names

Copyright © 2003

Nathen Page was a guitarist and pianist active in Washington and Florida. He played with many major performers in his career, including Jimmy Smith from 1965-70, Herbie Mann, Roberta Flack, Jackie MacLean and Sonny Rollins.

He recorded with Charles Tolliver in Paris in 1977, and toured Europe with Lonnie Smith (1990) and Alvin Queen (1991).

Mike Fitzgerald writes:

Although very under-recognized, Page was the feature of a recent radio show by Bill Kirchner. Originally from West Virginia, Page played on the Washington, DC scene. He had been living in Florida since 1980.

Information on his career and recordings at http://home1.gte.net/npage1/

Bill Kirchner writes:

Nathen had been under treatment for cancer since last year. His condition had taken a turn for the worst a couple of weeks ago, so his passing was expected, though no less saddening for that. He was 65.

Nathen was one of the truly great jazz guitarists, and a gentle, warm human being, and will be greatly missed.

I was trying to find this track on record... it seems Nathen only recorded one album with Jimmy Smith, in 1968/69 - and only one track, "Fingers".
    Jimmy Smith - The Boss (Vinyl, LP) at Discogs

It's not the same track, but man there's some wonderful playing in there!
    Thanks for sharing!

joaopaz Guest
    I'm adding your selections to a Playlist on Spotify - work in progress
    In case you'd like to check it out, here goes....
    Your favorite jazz/blues guitar solos on Spotify

User Info Menu

Joe Pass and Herb Ellis doing "Joe's Blues." Their interplay astounds me.

User Info Menu

BB King - just WOW...