The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 124

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I love all three of those. "If Ever..." is a long form, but fun to play, works well as a medium swing tune.
    The Sonny Rollins/Jim Hall version is amazing.

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

yikes, thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    I rediscovered A World Without Love, originally by Peter and Gordon (actually, a Paul McCartney tune).

You can even swing it, and it would be in OK taste. Planning to try it on some gig...

Love that tune.

User Info Menu

The Odd Couple TV Theme, as well as the All In The Family opening theme always works for me.

User Info Menu

Bonus points for playing the verse?
    Ella did the verse on a "live" recording and here, Johnny Hartman does it after 1:14 has passed !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Last night when we were young

THough the tune was a hit once (I am not Sinatra's fan but this he made a very good version and Tony Bennett did it too)..

I actually never heard it... first time I heard it a week or so ago in very beautiful and touching solo guitar version by Joel Fass

You can check it by this link

SoundClick artist: Joel Fass - Jazz Guitarist/Composer/Arranger

There's also Kenny Burrell version on nylon string... it's goo. But I love Joel's better.
    Jeez. I'm blushing. I love Kenny, and he has plenty of years and wisdom on me. Thanks, I guess. (Better take it and run like a thief).

Ego and approbation aside, I feel my job is primarily to make others love the tunes I do by bringing them out playing. So I'm happy if I turned you on to Last Night When We Were Young...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 04-01-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Loose Blues

The tune doesn't meet your first criteria - nevertheless!
    Last edited by hans halmackenreuter; 04-01-2017 at 05:22 PM.

User Info Menu

I like Some Other Spring, ever since hearing Billie's recording in my teens/early '20s. Tommy Flanagan had the best instrumental version that I've heard. I myself recorded it with the verse to Spring Can Really...leading up to it, but decided not to release it for whatever reason at the time. Want to take another crack using the same treatment.

I also like This Will Make You Laugh, Moon And Sand, just about any '70s-'80s Stevie Wonder ballad and Tin Tin Deo. (Just recorded the latter in duo with Sheryl Bailey. We have to finish the project). Looks Like December (Jobim) is great.

I was putting my music away after a move, and was reminded that I had done an arrangement of Wake Me Up When September Ends for guitar and vocal. Only weird thing about that song: The 'punchline' ('wake me up...') goes up to the 3rd, but doesn't resolve back down to the root until the very end. (Thoughtless writing or a tease?). Good tune though, and nice lyrical theme.

I like You've Lost That Loving Feeling, and Ebb Tide---both done memorably by the Righteous Brothers. Also You Made Me Feel Brand New (Stylistics?).

I learned Goodbye years ago listening to Chuck Wayne always play it as a night finisher on his gig at Gregory's. Gotta be careful to pick the spots to play that one---it could be DEPRESSING. LOL.

I like the following Beatles tunes: The Long And Winding Road, In My Life, She's Leaving Home, Here Comes the Sun (try it as a slow Ray Charlesish 12/8), Michelle---many others.

The only problem with the entire ASB is an embarrassment of riches--a great problem to have...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 04-02-2017 at 02:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hans halmackenreuter
    Loose Blues

The tune doesn't meet your first criteria - nevertheless!
    What a great tune! What a brilliant mind!

This recording, I think, was a kind of bookend/addendum to Interplay (3 holdovers from that date: Philly Joe, Jim Hall, Bill).

The liner notes to the CD reisussue (by Orrin Keepnews) said the band struggled mightily with Bill's tunes---lots of careful edits. Zoot, he said, had particular woes with one tune (My Bells?).

Whatever. This is great writing and playing by a top-notch crew...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I work with a vocalist that does a tune called "Midnight at the Oasis".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...by Maria Muldaur originally.

Weirdly, I once had a meditation lesson with the composer, David Nichtern. We had Eddie Diehl in common as a mutual friend.

Ya can't make this stuff up...

... Tin Tin Deo
    This is a real good one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    ...Until The Real Thing Comes Along
    FYI: That song was popularized by Butterbeans and Susie, a black vaudeville team on the TOBA circuit (Theater Owners' Booking Association---performers called it 'tough on black asses'), I'm guessing, in the '30s. I had it on an LP blues collection as a teen...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hans halmackenreuter
    This is a real good one
    I wanna tackle That's 'Earl', Brother next---not sure if he even wrote it. He played it, though.

Another nice one in the jazz realm: James Moody's Last Train From Overbrook...

User Info Menu

You For Me
    Marmaduke
    Bud's Idea

not many folks play any of these

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Last night when we were young

THough the tune was a hit once (I am not Sinatra's fan but this he made a very good version and Tony Bennett did it too)..

I actually never heard it... first time I heard it a week or so ago in very beautiful and touching solo guitar version by Joel Fass

You can check it by this link

SoundClick artist: Joel Fass - Jazz Guitarist/Composer/Arranger

There's also Kenny Burrell version on nylon string... it's goo. But I love Joel's better.
    Just put this version on my PC yesterday. Dig how different Tony's is from Blue Eyes. Frank's (on September of my Years) really pulls your heart out. TB's is more loose and swinging. Takes worlds apart by 2 masters:

I'm thinking the chart for FS's version is by Gordon Jenkins (the dramatic intro)----but it's probably Riddle...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 08-23-2017 at 05:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Bonus points for playing the verse?

Oh man - I just have this habit of getting the right verse with the wrong tune - so definitely no bonus points!

Funny that some of the tunes here are probably off the beaten path for instrumentalists but bread and butter for a lot of singers...

Slow Hot wind
    We Kiss in the shadows
    My Little Brown Book
    Ill Wind

User Info Menu

Last edited by Eric Rowland; 08-24-2017 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

@Eric Rowland: Great Chet clip - to think that was thirty years ago!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rowland

Killin' Pat! (The other clips I've seen before). Damn, could he burn then! Who's the drummer?

User Info Menu

Killin' Pat! (The other clips I've seen before). Damn, could he burn then! Who's the drummer?
    My copy says Randy Gelispie on drums.

User Info Menu

Summer Night (Dubin and Warren):

User Info Menu

Once Upon A Summertime (La Valse des Lilas) by Mercer and Legrand:

User Info Menu

Don't get around much anymore

I remember you

A tune from Grover Washington Jr called ´Make me a memory ´ although I'm not sure it is a standard

Recordame is though, it is so fun to play and not called as much as it should IMO

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

fuzzthebee on guitar? Love this: