Posts 26 to 50 of 124
    Cool thread, glad I had this idea!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yes on robbins and bernies tune

User Info Menu

A couple of favorites from Chet Baker's repertoire:

- My ideal
    - Travelin' light (also a great version from Billie Holiday)
    - I've never been in love before (also terrific version from Barney Kessel)
    - The more I see you
    - The touch of your lips (also a great cover by Doug Raney)
    - Blame it on my youth (see also Nat King Cole version)
    - I fall in love too easily

Etc.

Then I realize I have cited mostly ballads.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Takemitsu
    Night song

By lee Adams/Charles strouse

I have recently started to work on that one and love it. I'm pretty sure it could be done in a lot of ways. Structure is longish. It is surprisingly tricky to sing and attempting to do so reveals the greatness of the composer. Latin/swing.
    Nice tune, Kenny Burrell did it on the album of the same name. Clark terry and Bob Brookmeyer did it on one of their Quintet LPs . Sammy Davis Jr. has the definitive vocal version of it on the 'Golden Boy' Soundtrack album.
    I do it as a rhumba.

User Info Menu

For Minors Only, by Jimmy Heath. Chet Baker did a great version with Doug Raney and Niels Pedersen.

User Info Menu

I'm Beginning To See The Light
    I'm Confessing
    I Didn't Know What Time It Was
    Topsy
    Someday Sweetheart
    Poor Butterfly

User Info Menu

Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most
    Love the melody, the changes, the sentiment!

User Info Menu

I Should Care (Nice old Ballad)
    Ceora (Bossa)

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Speaking of Kenny Burrell (what a singing voice), how about I'll Buy You A Star?

First, marvellous Mathis, who sings the verse (before showing what Al Jarreau might have sounded with a Big Band back in the '60s), and then brilliant Burrell (first track):
    Last edited by destinytot; 03-15-2017 at 04:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Lets Get Lost. I play/sing that one pretty often. I had an area jazz fan tell me he had never heard anyone do it. He's probably been in a jazz club, private event or festival once per week for the last 45 years.

User Info Menu

Reaching for the Moon - beautiful melody - the finest ballad Irving Berlin ever wrote, and deserves much more exposure than it gets.

Ella Fitzgerald - Reaching For The Moon (High Quality - Remastered) - YouTube

User Info Menu

Tell you what Friends, with all these wonderful songs... I'm getting that feeling that I was born in the wrong Era... AGAIN!

Two of my favorite not-often-called standards:
    "Moment's Notice" (JColtrane)
    "Upper Manhattan Medical Group" (BStrayhorn)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most
    Love the melody, the changes, the sentiment!
    It's interesting to note that two of the great songs posted here, this one and Ballad of the Sad Young Men, were written by Tommy Wolfe and Fran Landesman.

Tommy was a jazz pianist, who wrote a musical called "The Nervous Set" (which Spring Can Really hang You up the Most came from), and the cast recording features Kenny Burrell on guitar!
    Unfortunately, the show bombed on Broadway, and closed after only a small number of showings.
    There weren't any other tunes as good as the previously mentioned two anyway.

User Info Menu

Definitely off the beaten path; for a jazz gig anyways:

User Info Menu

Sonny Rollins recorded that, and Tim Lerch has it on YouTube.

And here it is on a Slaman.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 03-15-2017 at 07:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Sonny Rollins recorded that, and Tim Lerch has it on YouTube.
    Awesome, glad you pointed me to the Tim Lerch one:

User Info Menu

Hey Stardust is the tune this month but Hoagy also wrote Skylark, a really nice tune.
    David

User Info Menu

(Singing this with a big band in May) A Lot of Lovin' To Do

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This spring tunes. Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most and You Must Believe In Spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I like "When Lights Are Low." It used to be done a lot, I think, but I don't hear it so much anymore. Love this version.

Miles did a classic version too----may have been so good that others steered clear....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I like "When Lights Are Low." It used to be done a lot, I think, but I don't hear it so much anymore. Love this version.

Miles did a classic version too----may have been so good that others steered clear....
    Good one Mark. The story goes that when Miles recorded it, no one could remember how the bridge went, so they just played the A section up a fourth. Benny Carter's original changes have a nice bridge with ii-Vs moving in minor thirds - a good vehicle for using your diminished language (have used this tune a lot in my studies with Sheryl Bailey).

User Info Menu

Bacharach's The April Fools (I think perhaps in a hard-driven 3/4).
    Last edited by destinytot; 03-16-2017 at 04:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Van Heusen wrote lots of killer tunes (It Could Happen To You, Darn That Dream, But Beautiful, Like Someone in Love, Here's That Rainy Day, etc.). I heard Vic Juris play this lesser-known gem at a Bar Next Door gig last year: