Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 124 of 124
  1. #101

    User Info Menu

    Soul Eyes (Mal Waldron)

    Mr. Lucky (Henry Mancini)

    Call of the Wild and Peaceful Heart (Billy Harper) -not a "standard" but such a gorgeous head. And one of the smoothest things in 9 that I know of...
    Last edited by Rhythmisking; 08-25-2017 at 03:55 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #102

    User Info Menu


  4. #103

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    My copy says Randy Gelispie on drums.
    That makes sense. He and Ludwig recorded w/Sonny Stitt, too. Great guys...

  5. #104

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee View Post
    According to Wikipedia, it's Eric Gale on guitar. Never realized he was on so many recordings that I am familiar with:

    Eric Gale - Wikipedia
    I really like Grover. He got an undeserved bad rap, but he could really play. Beautiful sound, too. There was an album in the '70s, Togethering, featuring him and Kenny Burrell, and Kenny made a breakthrough on that recording. I always dug Kenny, but he played kinda nervous earlier on IMO. On that, and all subsequent recordings he sounds so much more relaxed.

    And what became of Eric? He seemed to have died young. What from?

  6. #105

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    I really like Grover. He got an undeserved bad rap, but he could really play. Beautiful sound, too. There was an album in the '70s, Togethering, featuring him and Kenny Burrell, and Kenny made a breakthrough on that recording. I always dug Kenny, but he played kinda nervous earlier on IMO. On that, and all subsequent recordings he sounds so much more relaxed.

    And what became of Eric? He seemed to have died young. What from?
    According to Wikipedia, Eric Gale died of lung cancer.

  7. #106

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Elliott View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Eric Gale died of lung cancer.
    Sad. That's how Barry Galbraith, a heavy smoker, went...

  8. #107

    User Info Menu

    Dont know if its been mentioned but Strollin - Horace Silver

  9. #108

    User Info Menu

    Rehearsing this one with a vocalist.

  10. #109

    User Info Menu



    this is a great arrangement of Everything I've Got. We are also trying this one too.

  11. #110

    User Info Menu

    try this one by David Raksin [composer of "Laura"]
    the theme from the flick the Bad and The Beautiful, "Love Is For The Very Young"

    here's maestro Galbraith's beautiful version....

    Last edited by wintermoon; 09-07-2017 at 02:32 PM.

  12. #111

    User Info Menu

    4 Hoagy Carmichael tunes

    Memphis In June
    New Orleans
    Baltimore Oriole [made slightly less obscure by the legendary Bob Dorough]
    Wintermoon [hmm, that sounds kinda familiar]

    here's the composer's version


  13. #112

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    fuzzthebee on guitar? Love this:
    best album of 1981. I remember it well!

  14. #113

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    try this one by David Raksin [composer of "Laura"]
    the theme from the flick the Bad and The Beautiful, "Love Is For The Very Young"

    here's maestro Galbraith's beautiful version....

    I love BG's tone on that tune and the whole arrangement. Here's my transcription:

    What are some of your favorite slightly-off-the-beaten-path standards?-liftvy1-jpgWhat are some of your favorite slightly-off-the-beaten-path standards?-liftvy2-jpgWhat are some of your favorite slightly-off-the-beaten-path standards?-liftvy3-jpg

  15. #114

    User Info Menu

    I might just print that out and tackle it PMB, good job.

  16. #115

    User Info Menu




  17. #116

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PMB View Post
    I love BG's tone on that tune and the whole arrangement. Here's my transcription:

    What are some of your favorite slightly-off-the-beaten-path standards?-liftvy1-jpgWhat are some of your favorite slightly-off-the-beaten-path standards?-liftvy2-jpgWhat are some of your favorite slightly-off-the-beaten-path standards?-liftvy3-jpg
    Good for you, PMB. (Just saw the movie again). That album was called Guitar and the Wind. I borrowed it from Carl Thompson and sort of never gave it back. But I lost it and would like to have it again. I studied w/Barry. He was a great musician and a prince.

    Did it ever come out on CD?
    Last edited by fasstrack; 09-10-2017 at 09:20 AM.

  18. #117

    User Info Menu

    only in Japan, goes for big $

  19. #118

    User Info Menu

    +1 The End od a Love Affair

    You For Me. A very cool tune with unique changes that nobody does.
    Pete Martin - just a mandolin guy but loves jazz guitar
    www.PetimarPress.com
    Www.Jazz-Mandolin.com
    Pete Plays Wes free download
    www.jazz-mandolin.com/PetePlaysWes.xht

  20. #119

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Petimar View Post
    +1 The End od a Love Affair

    You For Me. A very cool tune with unique changes that nobody does.
    I never even heard of You For Me. Gotta check it out, being a 'tune detective' (stole that from Gary Bartz).

    The only thing that bugs me about End Of a Love Affair is not the tune, but the way it seems to be played by guys---kind of up, when it's a sad song. I guess it's 'monkey see, monkey do', b/c Dexter Gordon swung it. All well and good, but to me the definitive rendition is Nat Cole's...

  21. #120

    User Info Menu



    this is a great arrangement of Everything I've Got. We are also trying this one too.

  22. #121

    User Info Menu

    Some I really like;

    -Spring Is Here - a good version is from Art Van Damme and Johnny Smith.
    -Like Someone In Love
    -Manhatten
    -Emily - Tony Bennett sings this one on 'The Movie Song Album'
    -Bluesette
    -On a clear day
    -I'll Remember April

    There's heaps more but I have a mind blank and they're not coming to me right now.

    George Shearing did a lot of interesting standards that aren't that mainstream; there are some real gems there. Snappy arrangements too.

  23. #122

    User Info Menu


  24. #123

    User Info Menu

    I like Never Let Me Go
    It's originally from a movie called The Scarlet Hour and Nat King Cole sang it then - there's also a great live version by Bobby Hutcherson w/the Timeless All-Stars on YouTube. Nice ballad, not played too much as far as I know

    Imagination (Jimmy Van Heusen)
    You Stepped Out Of A Dream
    East Of the Sun
    Just Friends
    Violets For Your Furs
    The Summer Knows - nice version by Art Farmer
    Deep Purple - a song I learned from the sheet music, never heard a version that I really liked but great tune
    I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry - a bit of Dexter never hurts
    James - nice tune by Pat Metheny from Offramp

    Some of the bossa tunes that are maybe less played (in Belfast anyway :-))
    Like
    Once I Loved
    If You Never Come To Me
    Gentle Rain


    So many great tunes out there

  25. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee View Post
    I first heard this song performed by Bugs Bunny, but I've been working on "It's Magic" since I heard a nice version on the radio:



    And, of course:

    Nice. Found that in a fake book a couple years ago, and immediately thought of Bugs Bunny . The only place I'd ever heard it I guess.