The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 87 of 87

User Info Menu

Try this. Includes Fred Astaire chewing gum :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ha! Then I don't know. The RB sheet shows it but I always thought it meant the 2nd ending was only the final one, not between each chorus. Doesn't sound very good between each.

User Info Menu

Well, if it's a 16-bar tune most versions would end at the Eb7 and go straight back into the Dm as bar 1 - and they do, I've checked. Playing two more bars of Dm would extend it to 18 bars. I know there are odd-numbered bar tunes but that would sound clumsy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee

As you were.
    Oh god, must I? That was quite exciting :-)

User Info Menu

Here's my entry, my first in Practical Standards. Comments welcome.

What a nice little form -- a flipped minor cadence, repeated, a stack o' sevens, some major ii V, and some really juicy melody to play off of.

User Info Menu

Yeah, someone up above said this is a really sad, sad song. I see it a little differently. More just wistful. Pretty close in tone to the McCartney song.

User Info Menu

Yes, if I never heard people play it on this thread and just played "real book" notation, I'd think it was 2/4 Ooomph - Ahhh kind of swingy gypsy tune.

Am I the only one to think the first and he 4 bars are naturally |F(Maj7) Dm(7)|Gm(6) C7|, as opposed to real book's |Dm7 |Em7b5 A7b9|?

Also, another example of "jazz convention" *** making quite a simple task unnecessarily harder than it really is, that A+7. Yes F is in melody, but it does not work in a block chord, maybe on top, but then it's not + chord, but rather b13, IMO.
    *** Nothing is being played as written ... meaning you have to know the tune before you start learning it.

User Info Menu

Here is my entry for February.

DailyMotion Video

I am really glad I joined this group. I did not know this song a month ago and now I have a new tune in my repertoire.
    It also encouraged me to listen to a bunch of versions of the song that were new to me (like Wes Montgomery's version).

Do we have a tune for March yet ?
    Last edited by Doublea A; 03-04-2017 at 08:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk

A cool arrangement, and a great solo.

Wow, awesome... is that Aaron Rodgers? I haven't really listened to him, but maybe I should.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    I was trying to make my own version of impro but in the meantime got so amazed of Wes version that I decided to transcribe the Boss and learn it first. There is already a nice transciprion on YT played all thumb and it helped me clear few doubtful notes.
    I'm not playing the thumb too much, the rest of solo will be ready to play and post in March probably but if you want to get tabs/notation I'll make them available on my website in next few days.
    The biggest mastery is that even in the craziest octave drills Wes is always connected to the melody of the song.

The transciption pdf with notation/tabs already available on my site. Still work in progress about full linear analysis of the solo as well as final performance ( triplet octaves in bars 69-77 are giving me some pain, my thumb all down is not fast enough, thumb alternate can't articulate all notes well, think to play this fragment with a pick like the rest of single note lines)

Any comments or critique welcome guys

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Yes, if I never heard people play it on this thread and just played "real book" notation, I'd think it was 2/4 Ooomph - Ahhh kind of swingy gypsy tune.

Am I the only one to think the first and he 4 bars are naturally |F(Maj7) Dm(7)|Gm(6) C7|, as opposed to real book's |Dm7 |Em7b5 A7b9|?

Also, another example of "jazz convention" *** making quite a simple task unnecessarily harder than it really is, that A+7. Yes F is in melody, but it does not work in a block chord, maybe on top, but then it's not + chord, but rather b13, IMO.
    *** Nothing is being played as written ... meaning you have to know the tune before you start learning it.
    The melody in bars 1 - 4 could have been the beginning of a tune in F, but the melody of bars 5 - 8 make it pretty clear Dmin is the intended key.
    I don't care for Dmin7 as the first chord in the key of Dmin. I much prefer Dmin or Dmin6.
    I think of A+7 as an indication that the natural 5th should not be played. Even if the #5 is on top, I'd call such a chord augmented, not 7b13.
    Last edited by KirkP; 03-15-2017 at 05:24 PM.

User Info Menu

I feel like this is starting to sound like music.

Stream Yesterdays by Allan A | Listen online for free on SoundCloud