The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 86 of 86

User Info Menu

Is the king of newer song jazz chord/melody imo. Check him out on youtube.

He's also a member here.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I've seen a few singers do Moondance by Van Morrison, maybe that's almost become a standard of sorts.
    I've seen several different workups of Moondance. That would be a great new standard, a familiar tune to many non-jazz people and lends itself well to jazzing.

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

I was just about to say Jake Reichbart. He has literally dozens and dozens on his site. Reminds me a little of the Ted Greene site. Each arrangement is available on YouTube as a performance, and you can buy a guided lesson on the arrangement.

Never bought one myself, but I've been interested in his "How To" arranging book. Don't know what his lessons cost. Somehow the tiny stumbling block of having to email him for the details rather than just buying on an e-store is enough to keep me from getting it.

User Info Menu

Just the two of us has a fun bass line.

User Info Menu

Walter Fischbacher does a great job with pop trunes from the last couple of years. Look at this:

Phishbacher - the band's official site

(You need to have Flash installed to view everything.)

I'll quote one reviewer:

The idea of using rock and R&B songs as vehicles for jazz expression is not brand new. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, there were souljazz artists and organ combos that found the jazz possibilities in the music of Marvin Gaye, the Beatles, Sly & the Family Stone, Aretha Franklin and the Doors. Organist Charles Earland recorded interesting versions of the Spiral Staircase’s “More Today Than Yesterday (which became his signature tune) and the 5th Dimension’s “Aquarius,” and Ramsey Lewis’ acoustic piano trio became famous for its arrangement of Dobie Gray’s “The In Crowd.” Tenor saxophonist Joe Farrell recorded a great version of Stevie Wonder’s “Too High” in 1973. But unfortunately, rock and R&B songs were marginalized in much of the jazz world for a long time; Earland and Farrell were the exception rather than the rule. And in recent years, it has been good to see more and more improvisers—from the Bad Plus to singers Claire Martin and René Marie— acknowledging the fact that worthwhile popular music did not end with Tin Pan Alley.
    Question is, why were they marginalised? For one thing, a lot of people went for their own compositions. Also, most tunes don't follow the standard 32-bar format any more. Both mean that there is less material to agree on at a session - you can't just hand out a lead sheet of Birdland or Spain and let everybody blow their chorus. Finally, the predominance of recorded music makes it harder to do your own thing with familiar tunes since everybody has a blueprint in their heads about how this song is supposed to sound.

PS, to name a few "contemporary standards" - "Just the way you are" is pretty popular around here. "People get ready". "Moondance". "Hallelujah". "Fragile".

User Info Menu

These guys inspire me to find some contemporary songs to "jazzify". They have a whole series of great songs, here's a fun one:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyp145
    These guys inspire me to find some contemporary songs to "jazzify". They have a whole series of great songs, here's a fun one:

Definitely Show Biz there ... and the music was even nicely done! Lol

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

I actually like this version better:

User Info Menu

Long time PMJ watcher.All of it is good but not all of it hits my taste.Still love when they turn a so called mainstream hit into a good tune.The tap dancers are greatlol.The piano player in the Meghan Trainor version is the brains behind PMJ what is he like 30 yrs old.
    Last edited by EarlBrother; 02-16-2017 at 12:37 AM.

User Info Menu

I think this young guy is on a mission with some post-bop Taylor Swift stylings. Haters gonna hate...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I think this young guy is on a mission with some post-bop Taylor Swift stylings. Haters gonna hate...
    I also think that's the direction, treating the thing seriously, unlike those cabaret attraction shticks. He could loose some sweetness, though, ... form the band ... practice ...

EDIT: Not that cabaret shticks are not good on their own, as well as highly welcomed ... helping to keep the fire burning ...
    ... they are just not the way to move forward.
    Last edited by Vladan; 02-18-2017 at 06:21 AM.