The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I have been transcribing Midnight Blue.

Looking at the chords in ireal band it is mainly F minor blues.

BUT.....

there is a section G1/2dim7, C7b9#5, F-7, Bb-7, Db7, C7b9#5

What is that?????

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Rahman.

It is understanding what it is. Am transcribing by ear and it is not difficult but theoretically do but understand when it gets harmonically stirred up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    These changes are more what's on the recording, if I remember correctly.

User Info Menu

I think so, it's on YouTube.

User Info Menu

In fact the OP might save themselves a lot of trouble with this!

User Info Menu

Thanks again ragman I will use this (if it is correct) when I have completed my transcription.

I am actually flying through the transcription. Just a bit happy with myself how quickly I am getting through it, up to the 2 minute mark in 3 30 minute sessions (compared to 6 months 2 years ago to transcribe Greens Greenery). Nice to have a tangible measure of improvement.

Such a cool tune and fits perfectly with an approach to the blues I am working on in terms of space and resolution.

I played the song with a band the other week and just sounded crap (lost the groove) over that half dim ..... section approaching it based on chord tones.

User Info Menu

Glad you're getting there. Maybe show it to us when you're ready :-)

User Info Menu

Will do.

User Info Menu

I've got transcriptions (standard and tab) of the piece, complete with guitar solo.
    Just PM me.

User Info Menu

Thanks teleman. I gotta do it by ear. I am enjoying how much easier this is becoming. I have not looked at my transcription books for 18 months now might even sell them once I get better at hearing the chords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I know I'm a little late on this post, but I saw it and thought I might be able to help a bit. I did a lead sheet/transcription of this tune about a month or so ago. Here's a link to it on my website, and hopefully that helps. Great tune!!

Midnight Blue (Kenny Burrell) Lead Sheet - Michael Hilbun - Guitarist, Instructor, Composer from Lafayette

User Info Menu

I think this is what you want:

Kenny_Burrell-Midnight_Blue.pdf

User Info Menu

I think this is what you want:

Kenny_Burrell-Midnight_Blue.pdf
    Does anybody else have the problem with ragman's pdf, that the first two bars have almost slipped off the bottom of page 1 ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Does anybody else have the problem with ragman's pdf, that the first two bars have almost slipped off the bottom of page 1 ?
    Yup, I see that too (using iPhone at the moment)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Yeah! For me too.

User Info Menu

I saw it too but the complete intro + lead pdf is posted upthread. Besides, the tune is repeated so it didn't seem to matter much.

And it's not MY pdf! Found as seen. And there's the YouTube thing at #5. Put it full screen and take screen shots. Come on!! Sorry if the service isn't quite up to scratch.

User Info Menu

I saw it too but the complete intro + lead pdf is posted upthread. Besides, the tune is repeated so it didn't seem to matter much.

And it's not MY pdf! Found as seen. And there's the YouTube thing at #6. Put it full screen and take screen shots. Come on!! Sorry if the service isn't quite up to scratch.
    I'm not complaining, I just said that because someone can think that is a problem on his computer.
    I appreciate that you shared it.
    I can't see the Y2B video right now but I'll take a look on it later.